The Lazy Peon plays SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jordizzle, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

2. sake888

sake888 Avatar

With a self imposed name of "The Lazy Peon", context really needs to revolve around that. Although, his review is not only valuable inside that context but outside of it as well. Some things he said were spot on and transcend eras: Like the fact that he became bored and needed more quests. I appreciate he's from a different era than me in terms of gaming. I'm also interested in that he took this game for a spin and gave his opinion.

This game is FAR from finished, even farther than I allowed myself to believe. I hope he can come back in 6-12 months and is blown away by the content that was dropped in since this review. I am not thrilled with that time frame, but frankly this product still seems WAY off from being release worthy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Xail, mercster, Apollyon9515 and 3 others like this.
  3. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Tsk tsk, mind your virtues.

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It was sooo obvious all along...... All mouth....no game!

Onyx likes this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Am I the only person that thinks the graphics are decent but the UI makes you feel like they aren't? I think a lot of first-time users say the graphics sucks but subconsciously it's the UI. This might be something in the "polish" category but a more interactive, nicer looking UI would go a long way without having to redo core graphics.

6. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

+1, you said exactly what I was thinking.. one of his main isuses was the use of Runic on the map, and there is no direction telling him how to add the English translation
    I found the video entertaining and spot on from a new persons perspective that is not an old school Ultima player

7. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Not all the graphics are awful. The character models/skins. Butt ugly. That "I think I pooped my pants" look the characters have. Ugh.

So much anger....so little cleverness.

8. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

I also agreed with his comments about traveling on the world map being BORING, and the new combat targeting system. Well, if bow is the most polished then we are screwed. Can't begin to tell you how many times I am targeting one mob and I shoot and instead of hitting the one I am targeting. The arrow veers off and hits a rabbit to the side by 5+ feet. wtf? Didn't used to be that way. Hate the new targeting system.... still.

9. Izadar

Izadar Avatar

It clearly states on the title of the video "First Impressions". So, with that being the case...I thought it was spot on and deserves a look from the Dev team.

Xail, Ravenwing and docdoom77 like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Do you really think that when the marketing for the game begins for real, that Portalarium will market it as a game for people who played Everquest and UO? Young people stay out? This would be the death of the game.
    If Shroud wants to be a MMORPG first and foremost it needs as many players as possible. Wasn't this what Richard was talking about when he explained how gaming changed and new types of games reached more and more players? But with SotA they suddenly go the opposite way because the last few of the UO fans want to get "their" game, no matter what?
    Do you really think that a small amount of hardcore players can keep an MMO alive?

11. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Blimey, this is a strange day...i nearly agree with you on two points, in one post! I wouldn't say ugly but the character models and textures are still needing a little work. But the general environment and look/feel of the game i like.

That's good.......you should stick it in your signature.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

For the 10's of thousands of people that were interested in this game and it was pitched to, it should have been the type of game that was exactly for us. So far it seems to be exactly for a bit under a thousand or so people. That's not good for the longevity of the game no matter how you look at it......This could change, but so far it's an extremely niche game that seems to turn off more new players than it keeps. I know a lot of us are invested money-wise and time-wise and want it to succeed but these critical reviews are mostly spot on with a lot of the problems new people will have with the game, and shooting them all down with the excuses the devs and we are giving isn't going to help. I really hope the devs see the criticisms and take notice, they're way more important than our praises. There's just no way this game can be ready by the first quarter of next year either btw. We have bits and peices of systems all over the place that needs a lot of work, unfinished scenes, quests, storylines, combat, combat animations, terrible UI, agriculture, creature models, animations, other things to do when you're not gathering/adventure...the list goes on. *sigh*

It sometimes feels like the focus isn't on the gameplay itself anymore but more on add ons and how to get us to spend more money. I know they need to keep money coming in, but the main focus should be on getting the game in a better more finished state first. What good are the items I buy in the add-on store and from my pledge if there's not many people to play the game and help keep it funded if no one plays the game and it can't keep funding coming in on a regular basis and eventually shuts down? Those of us most devoted to the game can't keep it going by ourselves.

Myrcello, Ravenwing, Bubonic and 11 others like this.
  13. Governance

Governance Avatar

Had you read more carefully, you would have noticed that it's a first impression and not a review.

docdoom77 likes this.
  14. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Thanks! Glad you like it. I will do that. Your avatar with a nice big arrow from the quote. You can consider it a Bow Vale shrine of sorts.

15. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

Actively marketed that way? Not a chance. But that is the base that the game draws currently. Hopefully they can change that in the long run, but honestly, with the budget these guys chew through, I have my doubts about the game's longevity.

And where did I say anything about telling young people to stay out? I said it doesn't really appeal to the majority of younger games, and that is a fact.

16. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

I watched that video and i really liked it. I am still waiting the full release so i haven't played the game yet but sounds, and looks like, he have legit concerns. I hope Portalarium watches it and take notes.

docdoom77 and DepGames like this.
  17. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I've never seen this guy before - the truth hurts though doesn't it. Spot on

mercster, docdoom77 and DepGames like this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

not the best combat he's seen, hopefully it improves in future releases?

yeah well it is the opening scene after all buddy

guys talking so fast it makes it look like he's trying to fit as many lines from another review in as he can lewl

nexxxxxxxxxxxxttt>>>>>>>>>>

19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

From a criticims point of view the review is terribly bad. 23 old boy trying to review some of the RPG mechanics in sota without any experience from old rpgs is hilarious.

Someone should tell him about the difference from being a good player and a good reviewer. He is not even close to a decent one.

+1

All my respect for his videos but how can we take him seriously with a sentence like that? impossible.

The funny part comes the comments, like always sadly. How is possible to compare the tech side of the game (graphics, animations, fx..) with 10-15 old games? When I read something like that I realize how much ignorance exist in this industry.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

He is the first to give his opinion with "finally" a more serious reach then all of us combined and it should not be talked down.

99% of all youtube videos have less then 10 000 views

Thx to him 99 thousand views are generated with 1 video! in 1 week!!

No Telethon, Lord British giving blood does such a marketing impact..
    That is all what matters.
    Even if he talks negative it is a blessing for SotA getting attention compared to 1000 youtube fan videos with 50 views each who no one gives a nothing about.

And he does a very clear! and reasonable approach! Good feedback he did give!

But ok. Ok.
    Yeah. Lets take the youtube sites with max 50 views in 3 months more serious.

They really transport the message.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.