The Wizard Tower - Thumps up!

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Myrcello, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

The Wizard Tower gets from my side the hightest rating from the momentary provided village size houses available.

[​IMG]

If i could give out points for what i feel is important this would be my current ystem:

Visuals: 15 Points
    • Does it connect to the general atmosphere of the provided game theme, surrounding landscape?
    • Are there obvious visual anomalies from the inside to the outside? (like fake windows, exits, proposed layout from looking at it outside - non matching inside)?
    • Does it have unique visuals ideas compared to the other houses ( in this case yes: floating bridge - teleporter) ?
    Originality: 5 Points
    • How different is it compared to the other houses?
    Layout : 10 Points
    • Does it have a nice interior layout?
    • Does is leave enough space on the land plot for decorating crafting outside?
    Beauty: 10 Points
    • Is it pretty to look at?
    Mood : 10 Points
    • Does it provide a home feeling ( this include opening to the roof , raining inside etc)?
    • Does it provide the mood of the house it is proposing to be ( In this case - the living place of a wizard)?

So in this case i would have max 50 points to reach. :)

And i would give Max Points. :) 100%.
    Well done!

TigerKhan likes this.
  2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Getting a little irritated that all these houses which we were TOLD we could buy in game with gold (that's what RG demonstrated) are now showing up for real money.

So much for Buy to Own, with only significant extra work for devs like a new skill set being for sale AS ADVERTISED. Your starting to remind me of EA again

3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Where does it say they are exclusive to the real money store?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

My understanding is that this EXACT version of the house is exclusive to the add-on store. The same house with some minor changes will be available in-game. You'll be able to buy your crazy wizard house with gold, just not this exact one. Now, I don't know what the changes are exactly but this is what we've been told. It's put up here as a small bonus for those who care to continue to invest in the game a good year before it's pushed out.

Deliverence, Myrcello and Hazard like this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

How exactly does that excuse the diseptive or missleading conduct and delibratly false advertising?

RG's EXACT words were "we wont be nickle and dimming you, this game is Buy to Own, and the only things we will be charging for will be if we make something like a new skill set which takes a lot of development time"

Thats fine, that would be a true old school expansion pack.

But Thats not "we will sell stuff but you will be able to earn something like it in game", that is a garentee they wont be charging real money and then going and doing it

Oh and BTW, if EA are unethical for doing this in a game which cost $60, how much MORE unethical for a game that cost $750?

Cabrens likes this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

smack likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I like that the wizard towers have a magical feel to it, with it's floating stairs and towers. Some people are put off by its whimsical look but that doesn't bother me. It adds some character to the look of it. Would be interested to see what other variations they could make. Maybe some folks want a more rigid structure or a "darker" or foreboding feel to it and those would be interesting to see too. I could see those to be more fitting to evil mages perhaps.

8. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

A very classic mages home. Very fitting.

I love the stone work.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I hate the odd, melted look. It makes the entire structure feel fake. I love the magical elements, floating steps but I wish they were part of a more realistic tower.

10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I really don't care too much about the design of any one particular house - I would just like to see increasing variety. A village with 10 wizard towards right next to each other may end up looking kind of stange, but a village with one here, one there, and many other things in between has a lot of character.

11. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

I thought the same at first glance... But thin I thought, this is the abode of those who make it their daily activity of manipulating arcane forces, thereby consciously or unconsciously twisting the very fabric of reality. In that context, the design fits.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think the tower is fantastically whimsical. And anyone that's into that sort of thing will no doubt LOVE this tower as much as the OP. However, I'm not planning on having anything to do with "whimsy" when this game begins, and in fact I would take much greater joy in burning towers like that to the ground than I would living in one.

To each their own. I'm very impressed by the artwork of this whimsical tower, but while I feel I can fully appreciate its beauty I hope that the development team can understand and accomidate my darker tastes with something far less whimsical.

Myrcello, Gunga Din [Pax] and Wsye like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would challenge that statement. It fits for some mages.

I read a very good book recently where the mages turn physically grotesque the more magic they cast. However one of the most powerful mages in the story appears beautiful and healthy. When asked why he does not have tumors growing out of his face, he replies that once you reach the level of power that he as acquired you can look however you wish. It's only the inexperienced and bad mages that have rotting flesh falling off of them.

When I look at this new wizard tower I immediately see it as child like and undisciplined. This may not be the truth of the matter, I understand. But it does give me that perception.

14. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

Oh knock it off... All they are doing is giving potential players the means to invest in the project with a tangible object of bragging rights. You do not have to purchase these items. Anf the game does not cost $750. If someone DONATED that much money, then they did so if their OWN FREE WILL with the desire to help the developers succeed. Remember, this game is entirely community funded. The fact that they have made their kickstarter goal indicated that a significant number of people want to see the kind of game they want to produce.

Look at it this way:

There were those who missed the opportunity to do the kickstarter campaign but want donate. Portalarium created the means to do so.... Then there are those who want to contribute but want something specific for their contribution. Enter unique house styles for the cash shop.

This is just multiple ways people can contribute to the project. I have yet to contribute. I am just now getting my finances stabelized following a 2-year period of unemployment, and right now I am counting every penny, and I have a lot of dental work that needs to be done before I consider shelling out anything significant on a game, no matter how badly I want to play it. Anyway... If there wasn't something comparable that can be obtained through gameplay to what is on the cash shop, I would be fuming. But since nothing on the cash shop is NEEDED, then I do not have a problem

15. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

While I do love the mage tower I have to agree with the dude above.

I hope in the future there are some homes that accommodate people with a darker nature.

you know....a pentacle drawn in blood on my front door and the last person that crossed me hanging from a tree or crucified in the front yard for my neighbours to see. Maybe my favourite heads I collected from players on display.....etc etc.

if we are going to go very pretty and beautiful like this tower can we please go the other way too?

Myrcello likes this.
  16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

pro
    I like the look of the tower, I even like the 'look' of the floating steps,

con
    I think I would get tired of falling off them trying to navigate to the door, can only access door from specific angle

17. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I like the overall structure of the tower, plus the floating steps and teleport pads. However, I definitely do not like the curvy, "melted" look. Hopefully, they'll improve upon this in the town and city versions. Now about that Dark Tower....

Jambo, mike11, smack and 2 others like this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, totally agree. I'm looking forward to seeing what other variations they're going to make. Especially ones with darker overtones. The more variation, the better. It helps us see the bigger picture of the different peoples of New Britannia, as each region of the first continent (Ep1) will hopefully have their own cultures and thus distinct "look" or "themes" to their clothing, architecture, etc.

sakuraba likes this.
  19. Kazin

Kazin Avatar

I have to agree. It looks like something that belongs in a Shrek film, rather than a game that bears a coincidental resemblence to the EA-owned intellectual property known as Ultima™.

20. Dragonholt

Dragonholt Avatar

Yeah, I think it's okay, with a kind of magical feel. I also hope they do make a little variety too since there are different kinds of wizards. I was just thinking what it would be like to have a simple tent that when you entered you were in a much bigger place like in one of the Harry Potter movies. Sounds like a fun idea to make in unity, as you pass the opening the player would have to be ported to under terrain level just like with the basements, and maybe using a render to texture at the tent opening for views into and out of the tent .....
    I like the Druid house too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.