How do you come up with a name for your character?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shinobuu, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinobuu

Shinobuu Avatar

Long time lurker here. I always love to roleplay but it always pains me to try to come up with a unique name that hasn't been done a million times over. I was curious as to how some of you arrive at a name that stands out from the crowd without being repetitive in various mmos and other sources.

2. Brann Arroway

Brann Arroway Avatar

I have the same problem. My current nick is very much a placeholder. When I try to come up with a good name I feel that either the name isn't original, or it sounds like something that no parent would ever name their child.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Spend hours typing in anything I can thing of. Then change my class, race, sex whatever it takes to use whatever other names I can think of. Then resort to the random name generator until something eventually goes through.

BillRoy likes this.
  4. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

5. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

My first name in RL starts with B, so i give all my characters that as thier first letter, something I think is cool for the class or race, sometimes just click through the random generator 'til something with a B comes up, or pick something out and replace the first letter.

6. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

For the first name I used a latin translator. The last name is the city I was born in since I heard that is how a lot of last names were decided back in the day.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ha! I've been doing all of that for years. The worst part is that when I finally get a great name, I shelf it and start the process all over again hoping to come up with one even better!

Right now I have a great name that I have yet to unleash on the world, but it only fits one archetype well and I'm just not sure I want to spend all my time in this game playing that type of character.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  8. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I like my names to be melifluous, often alliterative, sometimes humorous. I just start saying words and sounds and build from there.
    Ex. Vim Belo, Filbert Eggcup, Daphne DuMurier, Slim Bevins, Ankeny Larn, Bidwell T. Bumbershoot.

For my own RP I find elaborate backstory to be more hiderance than aid, thus a name is the first step to creating a persona in game. In large part I let his identity be formed by the people he meets and the things he experiences.

9. Shinobuu

Shinobuu Avatar

Fireangel, appologies! I didn't see that one when I typed name in the seach and it didn't yield it to me. I will look through that topic when I get the chance.

Mugly, fantastic names!! I find that stories are easy to me but names tend to be . . . jaded when it comes to my imagination.

Rest of the people who I didn't mention, I thank you for your insights. I will take it into consideration for when I'm to create my one and only character in the online game (I believe we are only allowed to have one).

10. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Mine I got a LONG time ago when UO first started. Like many people it DID come from another source of work, however it was a bit more obscure at the time (and even more so now 15+ years later which is ok), but I have used it in just about every game since playing UO. It's not that I'm playing THAT particular character, but the character that I played in UO and the name has become my basic online identity as a whole.

I'm really hoping that Founders will get the chance to reserve their board/posting names before any rush into the game occurs. I'm not a big fan of unique names and really dislike having to be in a race to get a name I want to use.

Margard likes this.
  11. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

I like that this thread deals with the very process of creation as opposed to simply the origin/background story of a character's name. So Shinobuu, I will give you my four tricks to a hopefully good name:

TRICK #1
    MAKE A LIST

Envision your character. See him in your head. Now write down a list of words that symbolize the character. Whatever weird words come to mind, write them down. Now look at the list and start twisting them around. I'll give three examples of some of my old World of Warcraft characters.

The first was a Gnome Warrior. I then imagined him as a tiny Samurai Warrior ( :D ). That image stuck in my head, I twisted the word around and his name became Samrye Druble. The next was a Forsaken Shadow Priest. I wanted something lethal...deadly. "Toxin" was a word on my list, I twisted it a bit, added an "N" and Knoxinn was born (A character I am revamping for SotA). Lastly, a Blood Elf assassin. Very stealthy, dirty, and a thief. So the word "vermin" sprung to mind, not sure why, and it became Verminus Krow. Just think of it as word association with your character.

TRICK #2
    PLAN AHEAD

Gamers love short-cuts. Short-cuts to skills, short-cuts to weapons and they will definitely shorten your name. Anticipate this while choosing your name. When creating a name, I always think of what one syllable I want to be known as. So from my previous three examples, you go from Samrye Druble, Knoxinn, and Verminus Krow to simply Sam, Knox, and Krow. Easy to remember, quick to type in-game, and the integrity of the full name is still intact.

I learned this the hard way. I would come up with great names (at least to me...) and once shortened by other players, I hated it. For example, I love the name Francisco. "Fran" or "Cisco" however do very little for me. So...a bit of planning ahead certainly helps.

TRICK #3
    ONE OR TWO

One name or two. It's a hard choice. Typically, I use a scale of sorts. The smaller, smarter, and more refined a character is...the more likely they get two names. The larger, more emotional, and brutish...one name. But really...it's all about the "ring." How does the name sound when you say it out loud? Does it have a ring? Does it sound stronger or sexier or just plain better when you go with the single name? Or does it just sound smoother with that last name? It seems difficult...but almost the instant you say it out loud...you know.

TRICK #4
    LOCAL FLAVOR

After you've thrown together a few names...start looking at that particular game and how it impacts your character. If a Viking, make sure it's Viking-ish. A Wood Elf...is it "woodsy" enough? Research it a bit, both game-wise and perhaps historically.

For SotA, we will only be human...but there are still considerations. Perhaps the sea calls you and you lean towards priracy. Maybe your character is a Barbarian type and you need a very stout and strong name. If a Knight, be sure like the title of "Sir" in front of your name. Maybe you will RP something entirely new and exciting (I hope so ;) ). Whatever name you choose, make sure if fits in seemlessly with what you want to do.

Ok, so...I hope that helps you or anyone else still searching for that perfect name...:)

Margard and Shinobuu like this.
  12. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

For myself, I turn to my medieval names resources, most frequently the College of St. Gabriel website. I'd link it here, but I'm on my phone and I don't know it by memory....

lizardchunk likes this.
  13. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

The Academy of Saint Gabriel? There you go. ;)

lizardchunk likes this.
  14. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Indeed, that's the one! It's a little difficult to navigate sometimes, but they dig up some of the most unique names you'll ever see.

15. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Think of the most distasteful but nonvulgar thing you can!

Papa Woody and Margard like this.
  16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I use the age old way of picking a surname based on what I do or the lore of my character. Many surnames were made based on the trade of the person: Shoemaker, Smith, etc. while others are based on lineage: Jameson (Son of James). Sometimes I also pick a name based on a certain word or meaning that fits the character I'm playing. Historical surnames are fantastic for this. Then I simply pick a given name that I like the sound of, sometimes by just putting syllables together until it forms an actual name I'm looking for.

17. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

You provide an outstanding example of course. :eek:

Papa Woody and licemeat like this.
  18. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

depends on the game.
    fantasy RP I start with one of my most powerful AD&D characters, second is a powerful character I had in mage: the ascension.

Death-knell is the name of my dragon in another game and I just thought it was a fitting name.

19. Shinobuu

Shinobuu Avatar

Knox, awesome points! I'm definitely guilty when it comes to shortcuts. It would have escaped my mind if you hadn't pointed it out.

Adiun/Knox, thanks for the Academy link. I will gather some insight into those names as well!

Lice, I'm afraid I don't go through the untasteful route but I'm sure there are others who like to. It kind of ruins the Roleplay mood unless you're roleplaying as your personna.

Knoxinn likes this.
  20. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Mostly imagination, inspiration and happenstance combine to help me come up with names. There is no deliberate system for me.

lizardchunk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.