How do you come up with a name for your character?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shinobuu, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

+1 for Bowie avatar.

My names sometimes come from some kind of research where I find a name I like and twist it; others come from dreams. Some just show up unannounced in my head while I'm eating tacos. Some examples:
    'Lelonde Godard' - a combo of "What I think a French name should be" + one of my favorite filmmakers.
    'Escaweyn' - Escaflowne with a twist

My name post from the other thread is here.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I was able to play very long with Game of Thrones names and no one had them in many huge MMO.
    But then they created the HBO Series and all started to read it like crazy.

I will still play my twin story of Myrcella and Myrcello when SotA stops doing wipes.

I am despratly in look for a suitable second name for them.

The background story will be related to this movie with Rutger Hauer:

So basically Myrcella and Myrcello are twins who are cursed and are not able to exist in the form of human at the same time.
    So the moment one of them is human form the other one will be a animal pet i have to decide who will always stay with the other one.
    Watch the movie and you will understand.
    I will not be able to do day/night switch, but will come up with some other.

But i like this idea and i think seeing Myrcella with a Wolf or Myrcello with a Hawk ingame will get some curious and i have now a natural explanation of logging between accounts in a rpg story way. :)

Probably you will find letters written in my house of both communicating asynchron with each other.

But still need a second name for them. :)

Take care

3. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I usually base my names off of Old Cornish, but I might do something completely different here. For now, my forum name is Gylian, but that will likely change as well. Of course, with my luck, when the game actually goes live, the non-Old Cornish names I want will go in an eye blink. If that happens, I'll pull out the ol' Cornish dictionary again, lol.

4. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I suppose I could always use my SCA name. But where's the fun in *that* lol. (Actually, I had been considering a name that I heard in the SCA, then I remembered that it was the name of a well-loved knight (in a kingdom different than mine), and then I discovered he passed away a few years ago! So that name definitely went out the window!)

5. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

look at your persoanl Library Grab abook at random and use the last name of the primay character

6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

When you decide on a name, be sure not to tell anyone what it is before you create your character. Especially do not use that name here on the forums. For every person who spends a lot of time choosing their name, there are probably 10 people who would not think twice before abscounding with yours.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The phone book use to be a good way to do it. On second thought I only used it for random prank calls.

I found a guy named Richard Cunningham. I use to call and his wife would always answer, and I would tell her it's Potsie calling for Richard. She would put him on the phone, and I would say Richard? He would say yes, and he would hang up promptly after I said, "Hi it's Potsie, I just called... [dial tone]

I called a bunch of random people too, but he was my go to guy. I never had any good prank calls from him, but I loved how his wife never caught on. People said we should have recorded some of our calls, but that is illegal! However, we did have some good calls.

8. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I have been trying to pick names since I played 1st edition D&D. Names I chose where based on current sounding names in the campaign. The DM tended to combine Latin like names for his powerful creatures and NPCs. Since one of my first characters was an evil <censored> who I wanted to play with an attitude exhibiting a delusion of grandeur, and since the fiercest creatures in this campaign were ancient dragons and all ancient dragons had at least four names, I called him Rexor Luthagorox Pentorian Nematon. Then when I made my CG halfing, since the DM said he originated from some tropical Island similar to Hawaii, I tried to give him what I thought was a Hawaiian sounding name (Malu Haku).

As for Atticus, I have always used that name for my video games and online characters since around 1995. I did not get it from to Kill a Mockingbird. Peeps been asking me if that was the source for a very long time. In fact I never read the book till around 2006 to 2007. I picked that name when I had the opportunity to explore Europe on my own for the first time. I chose it after seeing that name etched on the wall of ancient gladitorial pen when I had the opportunity to explore some ruins in Italy.

And finally For this game, since virtues are involved, I felt a chileverous sounding sur name should be chosen. Gryphonheart seemed appropriate. From there, I designed my Arms.

Jynx and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I started using Isaiah for my character names in all the Ultimas since U6, but I played U4 through 7 in order after that. I used him as my main character in UO.

I got the name from the Bible, but I didn't actually read the Bible until about 15 years later. I picked Isaiah because it seemed like a good virtuous name for the Avatar (I knew about the Avatar because I played U5 before I created that character)

I never really used Isaiah much except for Ultima games, but it was always my character of choice. It was the one I wanted to be.

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I pick a name by looking at the game lore, and mixing sounds and terms together in unusual ways..
    or by observing naming-conventions used in the game already,
    and applying them to a different name that means something to me personally,
    either from my own life or from a previous game/world I have experienced,
    thereby creating something unique and yet fitting in the new world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.