RMT, the Economy and plans for the future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superbitsandbob, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyotemoon

coyotemoon Avatar

You mean those that stockpiled those things would be. All new players and people that play this for fun rather than buying 20 lots/vendors to resell for 2x the price no matter how many people it runs away would not be Forked in anyway.

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I suppose it depends on whether or not Port thinks it can get enough money from the existing 1k+ spenders. If they end actually needing to appeal to the unwashed masses to keep the lights on, prices in the shop will be cut to a tenth of their current rates.

3. moko

moko Avatar

In my experience there will always be a loophole some person will try to use, people will try to bend the rules to have some sort of advantage. But of course you're entitled to your own opinion on that. I'd rather see time spent on game development than finding perfectly worded rules, I am not even sure how many people misunderstood the rules on RMT/forums like you did, I know none. Oh well, I think I've derailed the thread enough for now and will just stop here :p

coyotemoon likes this.
  4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'm a bit dizzy from the multiple discussion in this thread, so I'll lay it out in bullet-points for our responses:

- Yes, Markee Dragon is allowed to conduct RMT if he wants to
    - No, we do not make direct profit off of Markee Dragon
    - No, Markee Dragon or anyone else we know of related to this thread is doing anything suspicious or wrong
    - RMT is allowed, but only trades are allowed to be mentioned in the forum marketplace

MrBlight and Ibad like this.
  5. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

Ya'll are talking about a dude who made a living for a decade guaranteeing real money transactions in Ultima fricking Online. And you're going, "Hm, but is he trustworthy?"

I think we might have heard about it before now if not.

Sir Frank likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In every thread about RMT there is a at least a couple alts pretending its good for the game. I call bs. Nobody has to agree, but this is totally BS, end of story. If I had known there would be RMT up front there is no freaking way I would have given the game a single penny. I feel very shafted by the company for allowing this. I will make the most of the game either way, but I am not going to support cheaters.

Xandra7 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Elnoth likes this.
  8. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Thanks for the response although the bottom one is only related to the forums here and the game? Someone could advertise items on an external site if they wished?

9. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I don't think anyone has said that and that is not the point of the thread at all.

Now I've read and listened I think the issue for me is if you are supporting RMT or anything where real money is involved, everything needs to be transparent and because of the nature of it, that's almost impossible. You can't control it or keep it 100% transparent.

With regards to the video. I'm 100% sure nothing "dodgy" is going on but there is something not right about someone making real money from transactions in a game where they have such access and friendship with the devs. To then be telling people to ignore critical reviews of the game just feels like a conflict of interest. It just doesn't feel right. I think that's the issue with RMT. No matter how hard the devs try to keep it out of the game, once you know it's there, there is always something at the back of your mind saying "This is going on".

The online single player version of the game always struck me as odd and now it kinda makes sense. The way the systems are set up almost feel designed with real money trading in mind (it of course also helps people farm resources). I think there is a great game here but at this point I'm not sure I'd invest in chapter 2.

Xandra7 likes this.
  10. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Darkstarr answered this before here

Superbitsandbob likes this.
  11. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

He's close with the devs because he was a prominent member of the community in previous games the devs made. He achieved that prominance though... RMT.

Like, you're saying if someone does enough RMT and gets a good reputation, they have to retire because too many people might know them.

12. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Not really but you are obviously a fan so you go on misinterpreting the posts.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I watched that video and was unsure of why you quoted me on it. But I will give my opinion of the video if that is why. The dude seems like a really cool dude. In fact other than his enthusiasm for RMT, I could easily be him. Many of my friends have differing opinions on politics and religion, and that this why I have a rule not to discuss those topics with friends. This person has a long history with RMT and probably profited a great deal from it. He is entitled to that opinion. My opinion is that RMT is the bottom a toilet still coated with poo. It represents the worst of humanity. I say this because I believe that this is a game, not real life. We don't have to settle for greed in a game if we don't want to. In the end its not my choice to make. The only choice I have is to play or not to play and to pay or not to pay. I already bought the game (and there are no refunds), so I am playing and I will spend my entire existence playing the game and will never engage in RMT. It is also true that I will never ever again encourage anyone to play this game because of the RMT. Hence, at least in my world, RMT loses players.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is why I shared it with you. Thank you.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I will do the same. Like you the money has been paid and I will play and enjoy the game in my own bubble. I would now also not recommend friends to the game whereas initially the game felt like the second coming.

The problem with RMT also is the history of it as you say. Most RMTer's of the past purposely broke games ToS for their own gain and were associated with pretty shady gold farming sites and companies or whatever. Maybe it's this history that for some people make it such a issue.

Tahru likes this.
  16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yeah, I don't have any problems with the guy, just wasn't clear on the rules because the rules weren't exactly clear.

RMT is fine. To say that the game is designed around RMT is untrue. Value is simply based on time, rarity and demand and that's just the way she goes. These days I'm not sure it would be possible to have an MMORPG without including it and I commend the staff for doing their best to ensure it doesn't break immersion.

And hey, I've tried to get most of my buddies to make the switch from freeshards to SotA and practically none of them will, because they don't want to pay for early access. For them, the prospect of being able to make their money back is likely the only thing making them even consider it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.