How do you play ABC files/music on instruments? Playlist is empty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dreamwriter, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

I put some ABC files in the SotA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Data\Songs folder, seeing that RuleBritannia.abc is already there. But doing a /playlist shows no songs at all, and trying to play any song, including RuleBritannia, gets an error message saying the song was not found.

Has the system for music playback changed?

2. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

I'm seeing this today as well... wanted to try out the street organ.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they changed the directory.

4. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

...to? :p

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I am with you, where did it get changed to? The only thing I keep hearing is that it has been changed to the same place except for ending says /sheet music. Do we add a folder that says sheet music to the songs folder or what? Could someone be a little more descriptive for some of us pretty please ;)

6. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

Aha, finding out about "\Sheet Music" helped me search the forums for the answer. It's not in the SotA folder anymore, it's in one of the Windows user document folders:

C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Sheet Music

??? = the user name you use in Windows

AppData is hidden by default, to see it in Windows 10, in your User folder, go to the View menu at the top and check "Hidden Items".

By Tor, Armitage_, Sir Grant and 2 others like this.
  7. ship2

ship2 Avatar

hopefully a release mistake.. that's messed up.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's been stored inside appdata for at least over the year now. There seems to be a convention for Windows app to store stuff inside appdata instead of my document if it were to be accessed internally.

9. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

what about on MacOS?

and is it the same for steam installs?

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

When I first did this I really struggled to understand what others were saying to me, so here is how I comprehended it. So instead of going into sota files like before, I needed to click on my computer. Lol so I tried until I could do it in my own way so for me it was instructions for dummies, not you guys but I was really duh about what people were saying. I could not figure out why I would click on my own computer instead of just the Sota folder how it was before my music was wiped, but oh well, here is the way I describe it:

click on my computer then double click c: drive to expand it, then double click on users and choose (double click on) majoria70 and below that I now see the folder AppData, I thne double click that to exapand it, then double click on roaming, then double click on portalarium, then shroud of the avatar, then sheet music folder is there to click on. You can place your music in this folder and name it something that works for you. For example I have the song Georgia like a Ray Charles version so I type in game in the chat window /play georgia. If I want to run around town and bother the town I type /play georgia loop. and it repeats the song or usually in Wizards rest when it is snowing I type /play let-it-snow ;) well since that is how I saved it.

Also when I first got music it was from fatlute.com which brought up the songs and now fatlute.com doesn't exist to get songs anymore and so thus the new link below to get songs. On the new songs page I needed to copy and paste the code to the converter I downloaded which was the 'easy abc' converter. So I clicked on the blue link words in a song I wanted on song page I gave you below, and then copy the code to my abc converter then name it, and then copy the song to my own computers music in case sota ever lost it, and then I copy the songs into the sota sheet music folder. Now you should have access to these songs in game. I actually printed myself out a copy of the songs but you can do /playlist I think but could be wrong on the words to type or it may have changed. Also another way I check my songs is from opening up a blank sheet music and my songs show up below the place you put your song title when making a sheet music and then I close it and don't always publish a song. I did try to not confuse anyone but I reread this and saw many places to explain what I was talking about and edited this post. So hopefully this helps someone. I know we all communicate a little different. I am not the best always *sighs*.

Good luck and feel free to ask me or perhaps someone more expert if I am confusing you to death. I love our music in Sota and we do have a music vendor as well in Wizards Rest and I'd be happy to copy songs I have for anyone as well ;)
    here is the link to songs I found.
    http://www.lotro-abc.com/ for abc songs to convert and add to sota

edited to hopefully make more sense.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    ship2, hroth and Bink like this.
  11. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

@Gadfrey Zukes below is a link that shows you how to get to the game chat logs as they are stored on Mac OS X ; similar to the chat logs, the "music sheet" folder is stored in the same .config folder.... it is hidden and you'll have to "show" hidden files to get there manually. There are instructions in the link.

I don't know if or how this affects Steam.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...found-in-users-name-config-portalarium.61052/

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

majoria70 and Spoon like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I do have a question though. So I know how to sync a song from my list if someone else has the same song (when songs need and have more than one part that can be played to create the whole song played with someone else), but what I don't know is if you can sync a song when you have clicked on a sheet music to play it. Is there a way to title your sheet music before clicking on publish on the sheet music to make it syncable to play with others or do you have to use your songs from your own folder to sync and play with someone. For those who don't know what I'm talking about for example one song I have saved to my own sheet music folder is Just a Gigolo and it has two parts, one is just a gigolo -clarinet and one is just a gigolo-lute so when playing it with someone else who has the songs saved as well here is what I would do to sync with them. I saved my songs with dashes between words ;)

Each of us would type in our chat window this:
    one person would type: /play just-a-gigolo-clarinet sync (and then press enter)
    the other person would type: /play just-a-gigolo-lute sync (or however they have saved the song)
    then one person would type /playstart
    and then they would both start playing their part.

This song really sounds great with both parts. :)

So my question is can we do this with sheet music by naming our sheet music title a certain way? I am thinking we cannot and would have to do it manually like this. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. mercster

mercster Avatar

The directory is C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Sheet Music

Also, if your song is named stairway.abc, you type /play stairway in the game (do not include filename extension). I just tested and it works for me!

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also how does this work for Mac users? Are there directions to be found anywhere since I have been asked?
    lol yes and thank you Mercster ;)I know that part. I was asking if we can sync if we use a sheet music instead of typing it all out? :) Would you say you are an expert because I do know someone who needs help to get his files to work, he is a mac user or she ?

16. mercster

mercster Avatar

I was answering the OP, sorry. :)
    Well, I am an expert at SOME things, but not Macs! :) Someone familiar with Macs would have to answer that question (though, to my knowledge, it is in an analogous directory somewhere).

majoria70 likes this.
  17. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

I am by no means an expert in Mac and perhaps there is a better way for Mac users than the workaround I found, but this is how I was able to get songs to play in game from Mac:

a) the songs are usually found to have a .abc.txt suffix... the .txt must be removed (rendering them .abc only).

b) the song was not recognized in game for me by how I named the file (ex. stairway.abc); rather, the song was recognized by how it was titled within the file itself. What I did was rename the song within the file to whatever I would end up naming the file prior to removing the .txt tag (after removing the .txt tag, I no longer had access to the file as a text for the purpose of renaming it).

c) lastly, these files must be placed in the "music sheet" folder located in the .config folder mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

I do not know if this is the optimal method for getting things done, but this is what I did and it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.