I give up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Anecdotally I've been instructed by moderation to take arguments to PM as per the Code of Conduct.

As for RNG creating demand. It inflates prices beyond what the demand justifies.

It's self defeating because the items are too easy to make.

As for population size as a defense... needing a critical mass is a pretty big gamble to require everything to work.

Roycestein Kaelstrom, Numa and Kaisa like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Made out of stuff I would consider since it is Weapon Dmg / With a little better resist per piece, and Weapon Dmg /Focus?:

Did you also master work them? Or enchant them?

Or where they just the plain pieces, and any critical successes ,making them with more durability.

BUt as stated since the game is so easy for anyone to just get and make their own markets are pretty much useless=.
    '
    They totally screwed the pooch on the implementation or the economy.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@2112Starman . I have to say I agree with Baron Drocis and FrostII. As much as new people or even not new people coming here are so very convinced that anything about this game is at a place to judge it have special knowledge of it's future or even possibly know what the end result of any given system will be, this just isn't true. That your things aren't selling doesn't mean anything other than they aren't. True who can know in our broken, unfinished game what will be. As much as people don't want to hear it, thus how could they justifiably rage quit or complain the game's not going in the right direction and prove it, well omg of course its not, and why the hell not, umm well perhaps could it be that the game is in development this very moment as we speak?. I'm sorry but we all get frustrated at times, but the fact is we don't know ****. And this is not just at you although you were being pissy, well so am I too ;)

GraveDncer, psteg, Retlaw and 4 others like this.
  4. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Yeap, find a comfortable scene, wear your favorite social gear, gather up coins/resources and enjoy the game at a relaxed pace without needing to think about the crafted economy until they get balanced in the future releases.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh.

6. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

bugs and issues can pile up and make things very unfun quickly i have felt that way before too.

@starman, I started to get into the game for a stretch, and then things started to piss me off. Like, 5 great things and 20 bad things and I got totally burned out. I took about two months off (i got lucky I was distracted by running win95 in vmware vs. virtualbox)

After I took two months off, It was almost like a new game, it was refreshing and there was new things to try and in retrospect what I disliked wasnt so huge in my mind.

Please take a break and come back - its not going anywhere and what you dont like prob. will be better then. You arent the only one feeling unheard, or heard wrong. Devs know that if they answer one ? here its gonna be a constant bombardment so they stay out. Your best bet for meaningful q and a is get friendly with a high level person who has access and can ask the ? for you... it's been more effective in the past that way.

You are a smart one, you prob. already know this...

THE HENDOMAN

Spoon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  7. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

Where is your vendor?
    I have never tried chain mail yet.
    I crafted a cheap set of +6 plate
    I will buy a set if its not too expensive.
    Send me a PM.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'd buy those epic leather armor myself (when i can afford it). This sort of tells me that more people are heavily into magic , archery or polearms rather than close-in melee.

9. mercster

mercster Avatar

Just a note...

Trolling does not mean saying something you disagree with. Trolling is not even always replying to someone disagreeing with you.

Trolling is intentionally saying things to upset someone else. If the person's intent is anything other than "Intentionally saying the opposite of what I say to get me upset", it's not trolling.

Carry on.

10. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

This makes sense because well
    ..... melee is totally borked :D

11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think that right now there are basically 3 types of items that can be sold at a decent rate.

1. Cost efficient items. Low tier stuff that gives a lot of functionality for the price. Lots of competition from others learning crafting, NPCs, and add on store. Also lots of people making their own starter gear, but still some players buying this kind of stuff at least.

2. The very best that can be made for a particular slot. Super expensive and time consuming, but there will always be a little bit of demand.

3. Unique player created items like books.

Small gear upgrades just aren't meaningful enough to sell gear that doesn't fit into group 1 or 2 with any regularity.

To be fair though, even though the current system is pretty bad, I don't think I've ever played any MMO where it was easy to make a profit crafting and selling things. There's usually only a small handful of things that are in demand and a small number of people that do well selling to others.

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

We cannot forget the basic fundamentals of economics. If things are not selling, you are valuing them more than the market does. I see all sorts of people with things on sale for prices that will never attract buyers. The economy is not necessarily broken when you can't sell something for the price you want. If you price an item at 1 and no one buys it, then yes, something may be broken. But I doubt that's the case. If people have a hard time psychologically lowering their prices to the sell point, or working to increase demand, business will be very frustrating.

I have ruminated quite a bit on the price to sell books at my bookstores. It is not easy when you balance all the factors involved. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Sean Silverfoot, Alexander and Dariog like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

That only applies to a certain degree. It's not free to make things. Not only are there material expenses, but there's also an investment of time required. If you can make 10k gold running around killing bandits in the time it takes you to craft an item, selling that item for 1g isn't an option.

Blink, monkeysmack, zyxe and 3 others like this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yeah, your vendor prices were too high! I'm out buying things.. could use a good chainmail set.. but bring down your prices and the market may work better! ;) Basics man!

Thwip, hroth, Olthadir and 2 others like this.
  15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

That was hyperbole to keep what I was saying simple. I agree with you, it has to take into account the cost of goods. But when you can harvest all the ingredients (not paying gold for them), the question becomes how much time spent harvesting is valued. And people could be overestimating that too.

Sean Silverfoot, Alexander and moko like this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This guy gets it. I was in owls head for one of the few times the other day.. and absolutly was on teamspeak laughing at what you guys think things are worth.
    We've sold gear pretty regularily.. but if your after making a 600% markup.. goodluck with that.. lol. Has to be cheap enough that the people who are all playing alpha.. think its worth buying and not doing themselves. The markets already small, with high end competition.. some of the prices people think their going to get ( havnt looked at yours, just what ive seen generally) Are hilarious.

Apollyon9515, Thwip, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  17. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

This is true. There's a reason so many players within my guild (and I'm sure ouside of it) call Owl's Head "Price-Gouger Central." There are a few vendors there with good prices, but many of the vendors have prices that are way to high to be reasonable. I can only assume the owner of those vendors either haven't updated their prices in a while or are price gougers.

As for the chain armor the OP has that isn't selling, I think that's mainly due to the fact that everyone can just craft their own stuff (assuming it's not just due to his prices, not sure what they are). Which is a fundamental problem with the crafting in this game imo. I personally think the crafting skills should have a hard skill cap to prevent everyone from becoming a master at every craft. If there were limits on crafting, then crafted items would have much more value since not everyone could craft every item themselves. If I could only focus on Carpentry and Tailoring, then I would have to find a Blacksmith to make my chain chest armor. As it is now, I'll just make my own.

18. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I've always wondered who in Novia could ever afford such high prices, other than the uber wealthy.

Xandra7 likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's one way it could be done. The other way would be to make the crafting skill trees so crazy complex and large that no human being could ever hope to achieve all of it. I'm hoping they choose the second option myself. This would mean that (for example) you wouldn't just make chainmail armor, you'd make Spiced Rum Bark Diamond Shade of the North Moon Chainmail Armor.

To some degree I know this is "planned" by the devs because they've talked about how the astronomy system will impact crafting. From what I can see it will be a huge change on the system too. Imagine if every second of the day matters as to what type of chainmail armor you're creating? Now one person's crafted armor is not the same as another and there's a reason to charge higher or lower prices? Because you might wait 10 seconds longer before making your armor, it might have a more desirable effect than someone that waits 30 seconds or doesn't make their armor for 3 days later when the astrological event is over.

We're also without any type of "regional" effects yet. As the type of wood, ore, and other materials will vary from region to region, impacting the type of stuff that is made by players (because it will be more expensive to get materials from other regions).

But none of that (unfortunately) fixes the problem that it takes TONS of resources to make just one set of chainmail armor. And because your average player has zero business sense what so ever, it just means that players will make as much chainmail armor as they possibly can without thinking about 1. The population of the game, 2. the demand for the armor they're making, 3. the target market they're selling to, 4. trying to build awareness of their business, and 5. the reality that may be staring them in the face, this crafting system, isn't finished yet!

Six months from now this crafting system is going to look very very different.

majoria70, Alexander, mass and 4 others like this.
  20. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Wait... what? Are you going to prevent all of the hundreds of players that mine in solo instances, preventing them from crafting all their 1000+ swords? Is that really a good idea?

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.