People waited so long for another game to compare to UO.....

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Praefectus, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I understand many people want it exactly like UO, I am a huge fan of UO as well, but I do want SotA to have it's own likeness but carry into it things that made UO a great game. One things I am glad that it will be a medieval style game like UO was, and the freedom to do many things like cooking and fishing and pvp are UO aspects I'm glad to see too, but I want it to have new and exciting things that were not in UO

2. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

This game is not a UO2, And it will have its own unique features. I do not wish it was a UO2 i also agree they should bring the best of UO and the Ultima games, the new graphic and features generation. The best of all worlds. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

*edited for content: Personal Attack against another user* ~FireLotus

Cheers

TigerKhan likes this.
  3. Seneth

Seneth Avatar

Except he did have more points. Points which you quoted. And then claimed that he had no more points.

When lying, it's best not to have a refutation of your lie in the same post. Just a tip for you.

Montaigne likes this.
  4. Norse

Norse Avatar

Except the points he made were already attempted and refuted. Bit of reading comprehension ftw tiger.

5. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

If this is just going to end up being an argument over grammar, I'll close the thread. I'm already of a mind to merge it with one of the others.

Sir Avorin Swftslay and skinned like this.
  6. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Reguarding the OP. Truth is truth.

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

In Economics, there is a name for this... The Broken Window Fallacy.

Mordecai likes this.
  8. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Idk dermott, I'm going to have to agree with what Skalex said.

9. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Skalex's postulate doesn't take into account other possible outcomes. To wit: "the more people die, are looted, the more likely they are to quit the game or switch to a different play mode."

10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Tangentially related, but I'm not sure it's actually even possible to create an in-game economy that is, at the same time, deep, engaging, reasonably realistic, and fun for most players. It would require either tuning it so no one can actually become "poor" in game (which tends to destroy realism and create exploits), or else finding ways to make sure even "poor" players get to fully enjoy the game (which tends to make it less engaging, to the point it might become optional), otherwise "poor" players that are not enjoying the game as much as they should might feel pushed into leaving the game.

I would love to be proved wrong, but until now, for the most part, whenever a game adds something to make the economy more important or realistic, my enjoyment of the game tends to decrease. Incidentally it's why I already have two accounts, and will get as many accounts as needed to be able to craft everything myself in SotA; I want to be able to "opt out" of the economy if I so desire.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  11. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Yep. I didn't turn to mostly non-PvP because it was always my preferred playstyle. I developed a hatred for PvP when, back in the "good old days" of UO, I got rez-raped so much and so consistently I literally had to abandon a character, after days of being unable to get her out of an area I hadn't known was a PvP hotspot. I have hated full PvP ever since, and mostly drove me out of UO until the "hated" Trammel/Feluccia split was put in and I could play without getting ganked constantly.

That kind of game is only fun for the already-powerful. I hear people say "then make powerful friends!", which sounds great, except if you literally can't even get out of a 1-screen radius before you're killed again, how are you supposed to make friends? Not to mention, having "powerful friends" should not be a necessity to enjoy a game. And furthermore, that just creates a ready pool of sycophants and makes the game fun for said already-powerful... again, no fun unless you are good at that one particular area. The game should be fun regardless of your skill (or lack thereof) at combat.

I never spend money on videogames. I generally only play on free games. And yet I am investing almost all my free money on this game for a whole year specifically because it was said that it would be a sandbox style game and you would not be forced into PvP.

12. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Of course, there is a special mode for people with such preferences, It is called single player offline.

13. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

No, it's called Open Play Online with no PvP. :)

14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

[​IMG]

AuroraWR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.