Where is the love for PVE players?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by RadioMan, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Everything should be worked on. It seems that SotA is far from being in a release state and I got a little bit concerned when Richard Garriott said during the Winter Telethon that they are now in the middle of the last phase before release...

Alexander likes this.
  2. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Yay! Glad we agree <3

3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Where is the love for PVE players? You must have missed releases 1-35. After 35 releases the devs finally throw PVP players a bone just as a test and PVE players freak out. SMH We've waited 35 release to get something, I think regardless of whether or not you agree with this trial xp bonus, you can get through one release. . .

4. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

I am not complaining about PVP getting Dev attention. I am complaining about how they chose to provide PVP incentive.

cartodude and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

So you say you do not have Children's Day???

6. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I suck at childrening.... they don't make sense to me, I have to behave around them, and they want me to share my toys.

7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Doesn't he say that every year? Lol

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Fairies of magic heart power UNITE

9. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

@Berek This is a PvP thread and should be moved accordingly or shut down.

Blink and E n v y like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I completely agree, this has nothing to do with skills and combat. It is basically PvE vs PvP and complaining about PvP. PvP is the correct location.

Blake Blackstone likes this.
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread moved, thanks for the notice.

Blake Blackstone and E n v y like this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Another PVP vs PVE thread. Well here is my two cents. Have not done any PVP yet but probably will in the future. Let the PVP folks have their bonus. They are adding a risk to their play-style and need to enjoy the way they play. It is almost like felucca/trammel in UO. Add extra resources to the PVP zones to entice players to go in there. Hopefully soon we will have guild alliances and guild wars and even more PVP will ensue. You want to entice PVE players to try PVP then add "no looting" to Guild wars to entice them to get a taste of the adrenaline rush.

13. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

You don't take the risk that PvP oriented players take. You can gain XP in peace, while PvP oriented gain skill in Chaos.

PvP oriented players have been slapped in the face since day 1. We can't PK, kill everyone and anything in our site, much less get proper compensation for our kills.

They threw PvP oriented players a bone, then post like this ripped it away.

14. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Wish we had PKs, but we don't. You either PvP or you don't. The closest thing to PK'ing is a non-flagged player attacking a flagged player without cool-down.

In other words, it's wolves vs wolves. There are no sheep dogs without sheep to protect.

Besides making the combat system easier, this is the biggest downfall of SotA IMO.

15. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

One mans "tedious experience", is another mans zen like, mindfulness activity.

The great thing about this game is that you are not forced to do anything.
    Instead of water gathering you can go down the mines, kill stuff, get ores, sell them and pay for your water to be delivered.

If one way is hard, you simply think yourself through the problem and find a way that is interesting.

Balance is of course important.
    But we can hardly play because the game is hard to progress.
    Games are supposed to be hard.
    Would we really play if they were easy?

Numa likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Being a water supplier is actually a good idea. Drawing water from wellls and fountains is still tedious as hell. Chris and Starr talked about automating the water gathering and plant watering process in the R37 postmortem. But the tradeoff would be 1/3 less planting area (the water machines seem to be huge) and there would be repair and maintenance costs.

17. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I wouldn't go so far to say that. "[Y]ou are not forced to do anything."

Players are being forced not to kill other players. If no one flags PvP or enters a PvP zone, no PvP can happen. As it is now, it seems that most PvP only happens in some type of organized manner.

Non-flagged players can attack flagged players. If that's the case, it should work visa-versa as well.

The game mechanics and a majority of the player-base are anti-PvP.

There should be town guards, like UO, so that players have a safe haven. PoT owners should be able to set their own guard levels or have none at all. We have lot permissions to make your living areas safe already. You can host an event with minimal disruption even in these circumstances. Trust me, I know about this all too well.

If these things were in place and If you want to enter other none town scenes without risk of getting killed by another player, then friends & single players online are your best friend.

You should not be forced to be in a scene to PvP. You should be able to fight on the overland map as well.

While combat has gotten better, PvP stagnates. The world feels Ultima but the game mechanics do not.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  18. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

I hope the dev team always remember, for every person that complains there are 10 who disagree with the complainer
    ;)

Stundorn, Bambino and Lyndoman like this.
  19. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

This is not entirely true.
    Although it mostly is.

When I was a noob I saw the 25% bonus and thought, "yum". And went pvp for a couple of weeks and it certainly helped.
    But I got ganked a few times, thanks @LOOT ;)

But now I don't need that boost and I am not PVP and probably wont be until I need to be.

Being forced implies you have no choice.
    You have a choice.

You are never forced to go PVP nor forced not to.
    The difference is that the Devs are attempting to balance the game to make it worthwhile going PVP, whilst keeping the aspect of danger.

I never played Ultima, and I realise it gets invoked as a sacred buff on the forums ;) But this is SOTA and it has to stand on it's own and attract the new players who are like, "Richard who.....?"

The Devs have the hardest task, pleasing enough people to make the game successful.

I think through the fog created by many different suggestions on this topic, the right path will be laid down for us to walk upon.

Interesting discussion, thanks for all the replies. Value them all.

Numa likes this.
  20. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

If you play this game and you PvP, you are forced into a system that discriminates against PvP. There is no choice to kill who you want. What's mind boggling is that non-flagged players can attack flagged players. With PoT guard protection, a tight knit community that works together and lot security, there is no reason why this game shouldn't be open world PvP.

Even if we get more loot more when a player is slain or there are XP/Skill/Buff/Resource incentives to flag PvP, the overarching game mechanics overshadow PvP. We don't need incentive, PvP should happen naturally.

It would be worthwhile to mention that SotA was intended to be the spiritual successor to Ultima.

I don't know where people are quoting this from but perhaps we were mislead when we read this. Perhaps it is not the spiritual successor to Ultima Online but the single-player Ultima series. I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.