Need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrotherD, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherD

BrotherD Avatar

Ok. ok. I got all that blame issues for unfriendly interface.
    Still/

1) How can I launch any profession (step by step please). from staff equipment till result.
    2) How can I switch cursor from close to head mode to normal one
    3) If you can solve first two I can manage the following

2. BrotherD

BrotherD Avatar

I mean it is [removed word by Berek] / I am standing with the fishing rod close to the river. What are my next steps? How to equip? How to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
    majoria70 likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

On the fishing question...

Your rod should be equipped in your Skills menu under Fishing (K).
    Drag the fishing skill down to your non-combat hot bar.
    Make sure you have Worms in your Inventory (I).

When you're at the spot where you wish to fish, click the Fishing Skill in your Hotbar and place the targeting circle on the spot where you'd like to cast and click. The Targeting Circle needs to be Green to indicate a valid casting location.

For more general direction, you might want to read the Release 37 Instructions.

Tiki Pirate and majoria70 like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Craftingtables, Recipes...?
    Go to a crafting Station /Table, make sure you have ressources of the Recipe ( B for Recipe Book) and Doubleklick the Recipe in the Craftingstations Window.

I bound fps mode to middle mouse, if i remember right it is Tab initially.

majoria70 likes this.
  5. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

To use the fishing pole you need worms in your inventory. Worms can be purchased from npc vendors.

Then just go to the water and target the water. (I think you best look for the bubbles where fish may be)

To switch Cursor from locked to free. ... Press TAB key (dflt keybind)

Hope this helps.

There is also a new player book in your inventory. Explains much of this as well.

majoria70 likes this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

The TAB key switches cursor/mouselook modes. However this is a weird choice, as in most games TAB changes targets. I switched the functions of TAB and G (now G switches cursor mode, and TAB selects target).

Also, there is an option I just found the other day, in Game Options... "Hold cursor toggle"...it makes it to where you have to hold down the key (TAB or whatever) for the cursor, and when you let go of it, it puts you back into mouselook mode. I quite like it!

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hm, curious about the other handle targeting.
    I dont use Tab or G or whatever to select a target, i aim with the Cursor and most of the time it's the right target that i hit, but i use a lot of Area Spells and CL what makes targeting obsolet.

Is there something i miss that targeting offers a bonus?

For healing i aim or doubleklick groupmembers

majoria70 likes this.
  8. BrotherD

BrotherD Avatar

Still cannot get it.

I got full set of crafting items grey (equipped). How I actually can use them?
    Should I re-equip? of if they are stated as equipped it is OK?
    I still cannot set any skill working as an item in a non-combat hot-bar/ (cannot drag)
    I

majoria70 likes this.
  9. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Crafting is a bit complex in Sota.

The first thing you need for crafting beside the tools are the resective skills for each crafting type and you need to know the recipe of waht you want to make. You can learn the skills from that craftig skill automaton in Soletown for example. Then there are several steps. The recipes can be bought from the respective vendor in cities or can be tought to you by other players. Some recipes can only be looted and some are questrewards.

1.: Gathering materials. Lets say you want to craft a table, then you need wood. There are harvestable trees in most forrest-areas. You harvest them by right-clicking on that tree (you will see your mousepointer turning into an axe) and get maple or pine wood logs.
    2. Refining the basic resources. The logs you chopped in the woods need to be refined. Lets stick to the table. for that you will need 4 boards of wood (any kind) and 2 wooden poles (also any kind), this you can see in your recipe-book (press 'B' and look unter 'carpentry' for the 'table'-recipe if you got it). So create the table out of wood you need to make wooden timber first (at a milling station) and then craft the boards and poles out of the timber (also at the milling station). Beside the wood you also need so called 'fuel'. Those are ingredients, that are used up in the crafting process and can be bought at the crafting-vendors. The process of crafting at the station is pretty streight forward. You see a list of all recipes you know and you an craft at that particular station. just doubleclick on the one you want to make and all needed ingredients will be moved to the station (if you got them in your inventory). Then the "craft"-button will light up and you press it. If the button doesn't highligts, then you are missing one or more of the needed stuff, or maybe the tool is broken (or missing). For some stuff you need an extra tool to craft them, which is also stated in the recipe and can be bought at the crafting-vendors.
    3. Crafting the item: Now that you have all ingredients you need for your table, you go over to a carpentry station and craft the table the same way you did with the boards.

I hope this isn't too confusing and helps you to get started with crafting.

Fishing is a bit different, than the other gathering skills, but I havn't done much fishing myself so someone else should better explain that to you.

Ravalox and majoria70 like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You need recipes. If you click on your 'b' key outside of chat window you see what recipes you have, also go to any crafting table and click on it and it will bring up your recipe book. You can buy recipes from some vendors. Also other players can teach some recipes to you. We can also teach you some more emotes. If you click the 'o' key out of chat window it brings up your emotes that you have. You can also type /wave, /bow, etc of any emotes you do have. There is no skill cap so you can learn all the crafting professions you like. I am Majoria in game. I would be happy to help anytime. Also to set up your deck for combat click the 'y' key to drag skills on it how you want. I use first 3 or 4 for my hits just drag them all on the 4 slots to rotate and then I lock a heal. Under the 'k' key you can see your skills and turn some down with the little triangle. You use your crafting equipment at a crafting pavillion in NPC cities. Welcome to the game Brother D. It will get easier ;)

Ravalox likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG]

The first picture is a picture of your skills. Under the 'k' key and you can check the 'y' key to set your skills up. The green triangles say I am training these skills. In the bottom right corner is my experience pool. If I have a lot of skills training at once it drains the experience. You also have crafting experience if you click on the crafting tab. Killing creatures and harvesting and crafting uses your experience and also gets you more experience unless you are training too much which I do sometimes ;)

Behind my character is a crafting pavillion that has all the tables. This one is in the town I live in called Wizards Rest in Hidden Vale area.
    [​IMG]

edit - also you get experience from talking to npcs and doing their quests. to talk to them you click on them and to get out of talking to them hit escape or type goodbye.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Berek, Nadomir and Ravalox like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

you drag your pole from your inventory to your non combat bar. You must have worms in your inventory as mentioned. you can see the fishing icon on my non combat bar in the picture I posted. if you have worms in your inventory you will be able to click on the icon to fish. Check your crafting tab though to see if you need to train fishing first at a crafting trainer. You may have to do this.

You never have to re-equip your tools once they are equipped. When you are the table it will use the tools automatically. It is slow getting started but just keep asking lots of questions and soon you will be answering questions to other new people ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Ravalox likes this.
  13. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@BrotherD, for more "live" assistance, you can join in on our Discord chat server where many of us "hang out". There's pretty much someone around 24/7

On Discord, there is a channel called "Hospitallers" which is dedicated for assisting players. You may also see players running around the world with that same title in (pink) above their heads when showing names is enabled.

Most all will be happy to assist in Discord as well. If no one is around i nthe Hospitallers channel, feel free to ask questions in General chat.

To get on Discord, you can follow the below link. Discord can be used through a web browser, or by downloading the Discord client.

(this link is set to never expire)
    https://discord.gg/EBjZfc9

Discord can also be accessed from Shroud's website:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=5

Nadomir and majoria70 like this.
  14. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

And if you are a visual learner like I am, Lace has some informative videos on crafting and where to obtain recipes. Her YouTube link is https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw_HS_MivFItXCQ5hYwpDjpyYNlvmBhWf but you may want to check out her post in Player Created Resources.

Some of the info may be a tad out of date since they removed recipe discovery, but I still find them to be of great help. :)

Nadomir, majoria70 and Ravalox like this.
  15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@BrotherD for fishing, the water needs to be deep enough to swim in, otherwise you can't get a green target... For tab, I use "hold tab for cursor" checked under Game options, I find it easier, but in combat to open objects like chests, you'll need to go out of combat to use...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.