New Britannia Cultural Festivals & Holidays

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

August

Honesty is the suggested theme for August. Respect for truth in all of life.. including an honest day's work for fair wages.

A day of confessions was suggested.. in light of recent story reveals I believe there was mention of confessionals? So that might be a popular thing to do here. Dropping anonymous confessions in a box to be posted publically later was another idea.

There isn't anything for September either so I'll just throw out some of the more random stuff that haven't seen much discussion anywhere.

Summer and Winter Solstices
    Weddings

Looking at my notes.. the Day of the Ancestor idea is something I think worked well with Spirituality.. the "John Barley Day" may or may not go well with Honor.. I suppose it depends on the timing?

Day of Fortune.. "where people surreptitiously place a gold coin or gift in another person's pocket." I draw a blank on this one..

Anti-virtue celebrations.. falsehoods was already brought up. I'm not sure what others can be made into something interesting?

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think I did November out of order already? humility / thanksgiving etc etc..

December.. Sacrifice.

A celebration to honor those who died having dedicated their lives to helping others. Possibly something akin to Christmas in the way of gift giving. The nature of those gifts may perhaps be open to discussion. I just had a thought that maybe giving something personal to you that you've owned might be of special significance (though no one should be offended if someone just went out and bought a gift.. but something personal is that much more special).

Another suggestion was preparing and delivering meals to local guards/soldiers and knights. Sacrificing one night of dinner to remember those who sacrifice every day in service to the people. Many possible variations of this.

I think that mostly covers the ideas expressed so far by myself and others. I personally really like the ideas and would love to see them fleshed out more by the community and/or Portlarium. Of course there is more lore we don't know we can draw upon later that may change what we have so far.. or be the inspiration of new ideas. I hope the discussion continues but if not.. then I hope Portalarium or the community can make use of some of this (well obviously I hope that statement is true if we continue the discussions also :))

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  3. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Whether Portalarium supports a particular festival or not...Bowen's right...we can do it ourselves. All it would take is a great idea/concept and a few creative and dedicated people...and it's happening. I've either seen this kind of thing or been apart of something like it and it works out well. The Dev team seems on top of things and seem very creative. If they like what they see and see value in it for both the players and the overall "vibe" and/or lore of the game, I can see them stepping in to lend a hand.

So, yeah...kick out the ideas. At the very least, all they can do is say "not at this time." At the very best...a few of these idea really shine through, take a life of their own and really add a nice touch and personal flair to the game. I just don't see a downside to trying to create in-game lore as in this thread or the other type of thread like this (Astronomy, Heraldry symbols, etc).

Kuno Brauer and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  4. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

That was concerning the idea of @Mugly Wumple (and who doesn't love that name? :) ) concerning "Ancestor Day." Sorry, I forgot to respond. I would argue that a special day like this would come about.

When you enter New Brittannia, you are alone. Your mother, father, sisters, brothers, wives, husbands, children, and whoever else are now a world away. You have no idea if you will ever return to them. I mean you have no idea if you're going to live through the end of the week. In your heart, your family would be with you. But you would still miss them. Still think of them.

As an avatar, if you saw the locals both mourning and celebrating the history of their families, you would completely understand their loss and pain. You have been brought into this world to help them, but you are still alone. Lighting a candle to remember your family may not seem like much...but to a battle-weary avatar...it might mean everything. Remembering how your mother made you soup when you were sick. Remembering how your sister made fun of you because you couldn't reach the cookie jar. These seemingly insignificant things keep you human through war. They remind you of what you're fighting for.

I would revisit the "Ancestor Day" idea. Maybe rework it and flesh it it more, but organically and spiritually, it fits in beautifully with what the concept of the Avatar is and how we would relate to the people of NB.

Kuno Brauer and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok taking the 'Ancestor Day' concept by itself. Actually it's kind of hard for me as I think it could fit beautifully in how Ultimas have done spirituality in the past.. it's alawys been tied to spirits in the past.. but setting that aside what I see prominantly in my mind is family gatherings and incorporating a celebration of living family as well. Possibly giving special relevance to family elders.

Of course the lighting of candles and visiting graves.. depending on the cultures the thought also occurs that maybe some families would keep shrines where among other things candles would be kept. Either in-house or in a public space like a graveyard. This could be important because grave sites might be too far away to travel to or worse.. they may be unknown. Shrines would allow you to honor the ancestors you couldn't visit. A public shrine could also be used if you didn't have your own.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  6. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I pointed out on another thread, that you can take inspiration from real-world holidays without copying them.

For instance, someone was mentioning how much he loved Christmas lights decorating the outside of houses, and how he hoped there would be someething like that in SotA...

7. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I have to say I really like the idea behind the OP so I'm behind doing things that are unique and lore-based when it comes to observances and rituals and devoid of anything comparable (at least in a 'named' religious sense) to Earth holiday/rituals.

rild likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

With chapters of BotA finally coming out I'm hoping we can get some insights we can use to refine some of these ideas or come up with new ones.

rild likes this.
  9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head, just to try and get the conversation going again, because I think this is a fabulous idea!

(If I am either duplicating things that have already been said, or assigning stuff over top, please don't be offended... I haven't read the whole thread, but I got hit by inspiration ;) This is just brainstorming, I am fine with anything or everything or nothing of this actually getting used.)

I'm using "___'s day" for most of them, but it could just as easily be "festival of ___", or some fully unique name.

I love your idea, Bowen, of the January/New Years themed event. I would suggest the name "Emergence", and make it all about transformations, the old becoming the new, and have it strongly associated with phoenixes.

February is the one month I don't really have an idea for that isn't incredibly obvious, which I have pointedly tried to stay away from.

Spring Equinox (mid March) - Shepherd's Day
    A day of growth (lambing season!) and humility. The whole point behind the festival is one of giving without receiving anything in return, of bettering yourself through sacrifice. Caring for the sick or the poor, making sure your loved ones know they are loved, etc. Particular emphasis on newness (birth, or laying the foundations of buildings, planting fields, etc.) or living things (living/potted plants, chicks (eggs!), etc.)

April would include Paladin's Day, the day of Honor. Among other things, this would be the main time of induction for new knights/paladins. A season of highly ritualized tournament fighting where the point is to fight it well, rather than to win. Also a time of feasting, and frequent 'toasts', with particular emphasis of giving credit where it is due, even if it is to someone you otherwise take issue with.

May, while it would not have a specific festival/virtue, would nonetheless have its own 'theme', one of general cleansing. Cleaning out the rushes and replacing them, painting walls, getting rid of excess items, and generally trimming off of unneeded things. Perhaps some sort of highly ritualized method of trimming trees/hedges... topiaries being popular tokens/decorations?

June is the Mage's Day, the day of Honesty, of pure Truth. It would be considered in especially poor taste to say anything that isn't entirely true to the best of your knowledge on Mage's Day - some of the more superstitious sort even claim it is dangerous. As such, certain, shall we say, types of people tend to sort of disappear during this festival; which, in itself, is seen as rather distasteful. For those who brave it, however, it is a day to speak all the hidden things, the things we normally keep to ourselves - the good, and the bad. It would be a custom to often grant leniency (not full pardon, necessarily, but perhaps an easier sentence) to criminals who come forward voluntarily on Mage's Day. (And I would further suggest my earlier thought of the "christmas lights" type of idea would fit quite well here!)

July having King's Day I quite like the idea of. This would be the centerpiece for the festival devoted to Valor. Similarly to Paladin's Day, it is a time of frequent tournaments, but these are all about the victory and the pure martial ability. Gambling is also particularly prevalent, although frowned upon by the more devout. Chess and other non-physical games based on strategy and tactics are common. County fairs with competitions of every sort are frequent, and often the victors are sent to the capital to compete in countrywide competitions, or presented as gifts to the King (depending on what sort of victory is in question).

August would hold Druid's Day, and is all about Justice, the Balance between truth and love, between honesty and compassion. For this entire month, druids and other scholarly types take to the roads in a sort of pilgrimage of Justice, acting as wandering magistrates to sit in judgement over court cases and other civil and criminal disputes. Also a common time for marriages, with the wandering magistrates to officiate; considered particularly beneficial to temper young love's compassion (and lust) with honesty and wisdom.

September, at the Autumnal Equinox (opposite the Vernal Equinox) is the Festival of the Rangers, associated with Spirituality(in many ways the opposite of Humility in terms of the Virtues). Where Shepherd's Day is associated with giving of a material sort, the Festival of Rangers is associated with the giving of wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual growth. A time of stories and fables with strong moral compasses. It is also a festival during which many people seek out time alone, particularly in the wilds, to commune with nature, with spirits, and with the gods. Some particular devout may even take a vow of silence for the entire month around the festival, to try to better hear what the world has to teach them.

October has no virtue directly, but is instead a celebration of harvest and abundance. Characterized as a period of grand feasts, free-flowing alcohol, dancing, and almost impromptu street festivals, it's all about partying. (Think Festivale/Mardi Gras, Oktoberfest, and Halloween all rolled into one ;) )

The Festival of Sacrifice would fall the next month in November, and is the antithesis to October's excesses. It is characterized by giving things up, by doing without. It is a common practice to choose several items that you will voluntarily sacrifice for the duration of the month; and furthermore, any time you would normally indulge in those things, you instead give either that item (in the case of physical things like food) or perform some equivalent service to those in need. It is not uncommon for those who are successful but devout/superstitious go on a sort of pilgrimage to poor areas/communities, and live as simply as they are able, to understand and remember what it is like to do without.

And finally, December would host Bard's Day, a celebration of compassion and love. It is a month full of music, of sweeping ballads and tales of epic romance. No person of substance would dare hold a feast, party, or other get together without hosting at least one bard to perform. Healers often offer their services free of charge during this festival, as well. Also a common time for budding romances as couples huddle close together for warmth from the crisp, cold weather; and considered a particularly lucky time to announce engagements, as well.

Kuno Brauer and Ronan like this.
  10. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

To help out NirAntae for February,
    Seems Novia is in the northern Hemisphere it will be the coldest month of the year probably. Although not sure of the axis rotation, but let's just assume cold :)
    I think the population would be looking to gather together and sort of reallocate winter provisions. Those that have large stores could possibly invite the local populace into their keep, castle, manor...whatever; and throw a huge feast. The population could take account of their stores and redistribute extras to those who don't have. Call it Larder Day.

11. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Ooooh I like it! :-D

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think I'm going to have to completely reorganize my notes now. :)

Associating the phoenix with 'Emergence' (or whatever we end up calling it) is an interesting idea. It reminds me of how we tend to associate things with animals or flora. Like how we have a state bird or a state flower.. sports teams being named after animals etc.

I also like the idea of toasting in association with paladins. You get the subtle allusion to chalice's and honor.

Somehow your May suggestion reminds me of spring cleaning. :)

I like the idea of granting criminals the opportunity to come forward for a lighter punishment in relation to honesty. Also gambling and strategic board games during "valor"'s tournaments is interesting.

NirAntae likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I like the "Larder Day" idea. :)

14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Pretty much all of those points were entirely intentional. ;) Obviously they would need more work to be 'usable'... more symbology, specific ceremonies/rituals, etc., but I figured this would give a fleshed out starting point to discuss if nothing else.

15. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Oh, wow! I'm in complete agreement with NirAntae's entire list, as well as the wonderful idea of Larder Day. I can't wait to start celebrating!

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think most or all of that can be incorporated into the current list. Like I said I'll have to reorganize my notes. :)

17. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

One of the main reasons I haven't contributed here is due to a lack of knowledge in overall direction. I've got a few ideas, especially from the older Sosarian adventures and lore.

Some new stuff too, I would assume some kind of planetary ring has formed around New Britannia due to the destruction of the moon. We can have a very rare "Ring Rain" event which can happen once a year +/- a specific date. Another body in close orbit could approach, at its perihelion it could charge ice particles from the destroyed moon and send them into the atmosphere of New Britannia. Give it a really nice light show like northern lights by about ten times, allow it to light up the Underworld naturally, that sort of thing.

But anyway, if the team is willing to hold off on flying the holidays out the window or can give us a more applicable goal/guidelines to aim for that would be awesome.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Basically what I'm getting is a predictable meteor shower type thing that people would gather to watch?

I've no idea if Portalarium will pick up any of these ideas officially. I would be interested in hearing an unofficial response at some point. The only "goal" we were given really was just to come up with ideas. I had the impression that RG was interested in expanding on the idea of holidays or "rituals" as he called it but that it wasn't a high priority.. but he wanted to see what we'd come up with.

During the R1 test I was reminded of Serpent Isle and mass exodus from the lands of Lord British.. and how the people in Owl's Head and the Vale didn't want to live under the Oracle's rule. I'm further reminded of pilgrims coming to America from England.

It seems appropriate that perhaps there is a holiday or event/"ritual" in the Vale that comes from this.

19. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

I like the general idea of the OP. Something else that occurs to me is that if you are going to do a monthly theme thing you could base it on the actual development of the game. Like based on the features included in each release candidate (https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-access-schedule.3875/).
    December, new beginnings, decorations and building.
    January: Trade, commerce and crafting.
    February: Friendship and expression (dance and other emotes).
    March: Conquest, exploration and war.
    April - Launch: To be determined. :p

That way the in game celebrations could be real celebrations of the events in the development of the game.

20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

As requested i am reposting from https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...rent-system-solutions.5822/page-4#post-109492

As i have the feeling that the game system will not provide the city type some of us, including me, would like, i tried to come up with
    a RPG and historic approach to give the player town desings a reason in new britannia:

Historic explanation:

After a cycle of 400 years the inhabitants of Novia had been dreaming of living with the fresh air, having grass and trees and flowers and all what the surface provides wonderful around them again.
    Some almost had forgotten how it must be to see a sun rise or the shattered moon above them. All had been dreaming of children playing outside in the free and no more crying about lost ones somewhere in the deep mystical caves, never to be found again. This desire nowadays can be seen everywhere on new Britannia.
    You will find no private house without a garden surrounding it, as this is regarded a reminder of the past and the hard times living with only stones and walls surrounding the inhabitants. In some cases you will find historical writings that taking away the gardens of a private house owner are used as a punishment for not obeying the laws. Gardens are a Status symbol on new Britannia and no one would even think of building a house without it.

Punishments in regards to destroying someone’s garden decoration will be often higher then stealing something in the living space area of a house owner.

Once a year each town celebrates the "Return to the Surface" festival, celebrating symbolic the day of leaving the underground. All inhabitants will decorate the gardens as wonderful as possible and at the end celebrating the winner of each town with the nicest garden decoration.

[​IMG]

So some might create little stories in the books we will find ingame , so players in the future might read little stories and logical hints so the hole city styling of SotA has a logical historic reason that is easy to follow.

Thats it. :)

rild and smack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.