pvp vs not flagged

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Raistlyn, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think a big point is being missed here.
    Now im all for jumping a flagged guy whenever if im not flagged. I love tht feature.

But i think its an intended risk for a pvper being flagged in a zone that isnt pvp.
    Cant forget this isnt an issue if you stay in pvp zones ( everyone gets flagged ).
    So maybe long term idea is this is a risk vs reward thing.. its the risk i take for coming to the pve relm for w.e im there for. ( i imagine long term if im hunting PLAYERS, id do it in a pvp zone. )
    Same as a pve r takes the risk of the auto flag for comen into my relm to do w.e ( i think clockwork dragon instantly )

2. Armar

Armar Avatar

Who came up with this BS? Thats frickin obnoxious.....

3. Armar

Armar Avatar

You can flag without going to the oracle? How

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Being unflagged you can target a PvP flagged avatar and use a glyph.
    You get a splash question if you are sure, a quick Yes and you are instaflagged.

The problem is that there is no warning nor delay. So it is currently too effective.
    While if they would simply add a casting time with a timer bar counting down over your head. Then any PvP flagged can see that they are soon flagged as well. If they implement that then it is a great feature. But until they do it is just creating bad will among the perms flagged.

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Audacity, this part was the comic relief in your reply, right?

I pvp in Star Wars Battlefront. Not in SotA.

6. Armar

Armar Avatar

BS

Sometimes i wish i could send an EA manager to portalium for ... ok, i leave that out

7. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

@Duke Gréagóir

You should assume everything I say is part of the comic relief <3

Edit: it helps if you read it in a cheerful anime girl voice

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The PvE to PvP person gets a notice if they wish to actually enable PvP. In return, it's much more difficult to quickly get rid of the PvP flag... so you can't go back to normal instantly after taking an action.

In other words, it's all working as intended, so just be more aware of your surroundings when you are risking being in PvP mode :).

9. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

With all due respect, baloney. Strike an easy opportune kill, take loot and leave scene (safe) while target is dead and unflag. Takes 12 seconds or so to walk from Deep Ravenswood to Kingsport, can be back unflagged in under two minutes.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, it's working as intended, but the results are not good.

I take issue with this comment because a person that is flagged for pvp can always do one of two things to unflag (both of which are extremely easy).
    1. They can go visit the Oracle and type the word, "protection" and "Y" and they are unflagged.
    2. They can jump out of the scene to the overland map where they can not be attacked even though they're technically flagged.

Both of these actions require less than 5 seconds of risked time. So the idea that it's not quick or easy to get rid of a the pvp flag is false. You're correct that it's not instant, but in a practical sense it really is.

This also ignores the fact that not being flagged allows players to be extremely opportunistic. Throughout the history of MMO's it's this type of mechanic that has led to the most grief, imo, and I believe that as we grow in population you will see more and more evidence of this by the feedback in the forums but also in the amount of rage quitting and non-flagging that occurs because of this poorly designed (though working as intended) choice.

Numa, Bow Vale, Sir Brenton and 3 others like this.
  11. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Simple fix is a 24 hour buff to.leave PVp, like they did on UO with factions. Takes 1 real world week to process so you can't go popping from team to team. I bet if these people had to stay in pvp mode after instaflagging, they wouldn't go for it. They wouldn't take the risk of you coming back. Lol

Numa likes this.
  12. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

In my opinion, it is a horrible mechanic and I have tried to understand it but I don't think I'll ever be able to. Giving all of the advantage in pvp to the non-pvp flagged player. In order to achieve my PVP flag, I have to go to an oracle and remove my "protections" . .. however someone else who in the moment sees that my avatar is in a vulnerable position, can decide right then and there to become a pvp player and kill me with one blow. Makes no sense! Working as intended, but poorly thought out. In my opinion again, the only fix for this is to get rid of the blurred line between being flagged and being unflagged, make every player obtain their pvp flag the same way. If you are able to flag in the moment because you see a golden opportunity and you kill me, shame on the Devs, if you are flagged before entering the scene that I'm in, and you kill me, shame on me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. Drocis the Devious

There is a guild that lobbied very publicly during a developer hangout for this design choice. During that hangout, all of the developers present had an initial reaction that this was a bad idea, but were talked into it probably because they were put on the spot.

The reason they wanted it like this was because they are PRIMARILY a pvp guild, but they have a lot of non-pvp players that perform crafting. When they fight other players, they want their crafters to be able to join the fight when it is opportunistic without having to go back to the Oracle and flag. So this became an experiment that because not enough people abused (YET) we have had to live with even though it's completely predictable what is going to happen in the future, and that this should never have been experimented with to begin with since the only advantage to this is people that don't really want to pvp but don't mind being on the side that is obviously going to win can help pile on.

It's disturbing and a good example of the developers trying to accommodate players that should've simply been told "no, you have to flag like everyone else, this is going to ruin pvp for other people."

This is one reason I never flag in pvp. Because it's not a fair playing field.

14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I was there for that one! )^8 I was only flagged PVP because I was healing Parzival( @Sir Brenton ), and we were jumped right when our health was really low and we were nearly out of mana. The problem, in my opinion, is there is no accountability for PK'ers in the game. UO used things like Murder Status/Count(guards would attack them upon entering town), vendors would refuse to do business with them(thieves as well), Bounties were payed by town guards for the head of a murderer,etc. As of now, there is no downside to PK'ing other players, other than being killed themselves or having to pay a ransom for their gear. Implementing some form of retribution for players attacking other players, who didn't agree to duel, is the only way I will PvP. If the system remains as is I will just not opt to participate. I can do without it.

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I was flagged by healing a fellow party-member who was flagged. You are given a 'warning' that you will be flagged by default(I think this can be changed to give no warning and auto-flag.)

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I thought you were a PvE guy?

Ristra, MrBlight, 3devious and 4 others like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Armar, Womby, mass and 2 others like this.
  18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I totally agree! This will be the death of PvP in this game. You will ultimately have a handful of PvP players who will be complaining that noone is flagging and will wonder why. When you are able to murder other players with no penalty/downside then the only PvP'ers you will eventually have will be the opportunistic ones.

19. Drocis the Devious

This would be my solution:

Moving from flagged to unflagged or unflagged to flagged (even if returning to a non-pvp area) needs a cool down. A significant cool down that requires the player to be online for the full time of the cool down. What this also means is that once you flag (anywhere) you can no longer go into Friends or Single Player mode until the cool down has expired.

20. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Yea, this may be some sort of working - but I hope its not as intended! :)

Good example.. Crag foothills, etceter. You can kill unflagged in foothills, leave scene while the other person is trying to locate an ankh and then wait to respawn - you are now standing outside etecter safely on overworld for now, hit enter, the oracle is right next to the town entrance. Restore protection. Done.

The person you murdered will never have opportunity for revenge on you for being a ****.

Awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.