THANK YOU, SOTA COMMUNITY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Words cannot express my gratitude toward everyone who helped make the Iron Maiden Chemo Relief Fund a smashing success. So...instead of words, I'll try with moving pictures. This is OUR story. I hope when times are tough we can look back at this effort and realize...together...real magic is possible.

Here is a tribute-documentary of the entire community effort, as told by the community. Enjoy!

-Thex

EDIT:
    In case you missed the big announcement on the telethon yesterday, we raised $55,000+ for Iron Maiden during the IMCRF initiative! All proceeds were sent to Doug.

Bravo community!!!

-Thex

P.S. There's more good works to do in Novia! I'll have some big news in the coming days/weeks about the next evolution of our in-game charity initiative, including a formal announcement for the AERIE Fund. We're gonna keep making gaming history and prove that SOTA has a community like no other. In the words of @dallas, we're going to promote 'community belonging' to help promote the people and causes we care about. Stay tuned.

CC:

@DarkStarr @Lord British @Berek

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

And our gratitude to you, Thex for taking the lead on this very important mission! :)

Birko, Hazard, K1000 and 16 others like this.
  3. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

@Thexedor Markhamm ,

You made an absolutely fantastic video and even more fantastic fund-raiser for Doug / Iron Maiden! Well done!

Also, in my opinion, your tribute-documentary is very moving, thoughtful, inspiring, and important. Here's why:

... Moving because I shed a tear at times to see how much people care ... and laughed at times to see how fun it is to participate in such a fund raiser for a great cause.

... Thoughtful because you clearly put this together very professionally to offer tribute ... and I stayed glued to the video the whole time.

... Inspiring because you made me think about how great this community is ... and how great we come together to help others.

... Important because as we travel such journies together, we need to pause to document and record so we can remember what we did in future years, ... thus inspiring more people to help more people.

/bow

4. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

This whole thing has made me proud to be a part of this community. There are some A-MAZing folks here. Excellent job Thex from the concept to eating all that stuff somehow without puking it up and creating a lasting video for all to see and remember. And of course, a HUGE thanks to @Lord British who has pulled us all together as one. Without him, we wouldn't be here. /courtsy

Birko, Sir_Michael, rild and 9 others like this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Thanks for all your hard work, Thex. It was an amazing thing to watch and be able to participate in.

6. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

@Everyone - thanks for the support and compliments. I wanted this to be a celebration of our community efforts. A bit of gaming history, methinks.

@Berek can we get a pin on this for a couple days so folks can see it?

Birko, rild, Rada Torment and 6 others like this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Sure!

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Sir_Michael, Birko, rild and 6 others like this.
  9. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I love this!

Sir_Michael, Birko, rild and 5 others like this.
  10. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Sir_Michael, Birko, rild and 4 others like this.
  11. EclipseMaiden

EclipseMaiden Avatar

Love it Thex! and Love this community!

12. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

It always warms my heart to see the good in humanity. F* cancer; beat cancer's ass, Iron Maiden. We all are behind you.

Numa, rild, Rada Torment and 2 others like this.
  13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Everyone needs a leader to guide them and in this journey we had the best one ;)

Nicely done @Thexedor Markhamm.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Birko, Numa, rild and 2 others like this.
  14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I am really amazed about what happened in- and outside this community.
    Even if we met only in a game of virtual reality - a lot of people don't forget that behind every Avatar is a human being.
    And also behind a nick name given in the game or forum.
    And I think this is one of the most difference of this game to others: from beginning of Ultima (III/IV) there was a special spirit inside given to the players seeking a higher level of "entertainment", which references to what we think a good human could be. Not even hack'n slay, but a higher target we find in the path of virtues.
    And in the last months Thex invited us to a very fine path of compassion.
    Thank you Thex, thank you everybody sharing this (and a lot of other) virtues in- and outside this game of life :)
    It shows us, equal how much negativity is around us, there are always humans thinking and doing positive work!
    There is always a path of hope ... greetinx to Doug :)

Birko, Mortanius, Winfield and 5 others like this.
  15. rild

rild Avatar

zOMG love this video. thanks for documenting so well, for all the reasons @Winfield mentioned. To look back on the enormous effort and cooperation, it is very moving. Plus the fish head.. that's just good television! Thank you.

@Thexedor Markhamm could we make a 3-5 minute cut of this? I think this is something that would be great to share with a larger audience.

16. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I was thinking the same, Rild. :) I'll see what I can do. The narrative of this tale was so sweeping - it'll be tough to crunch into 3 minutes - but I have an idea. Stay tuned. :)

Birko, rild, Winfield and 3 others like this.
  17. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Nice analysis, Sir Michael. Everybody whom supported the IMCRF (money, time and effort) proved compassion is indeed alive and well and we took the journey together to find it. :)

But, and I can't say this enough, this is only the beginning. ;)

Birko, rild, Winfield and 4 others like this.
  18. Omegaflux

Omegaflux Avatar

Thexedor and community,

I want to share my appreciation and respect for the time, energy and resources you all put into this altruistic cause for Iron Maiden. When I first started playing SoTA I was not really interested in the community aspect but rather just the game itself as I have always preferred the independent small circle of friends mentality. This has changed dramatically. Even those of us who were passionate about classic UO as having that certain something that made it timeless and better than any other game must admit, there is something extremely intriguing going on here. I think you nailed it as "a bit of gaming history".
    LB's vision, the game design integrated with social aspects and the community it has attracted so far are making it something new, more evolved.

I can only hope it stays on this path and we keep exploring.

Humble head nod,

Omegaflux

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I can't speak for others but I'd like to hear how Doug (Iron Maiden) is doing.

20. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Spent quite a lot of time with Doug in game today handling auction business. He is in good spirits. Once things slow down (the last auction ends tomorrow), I will have some deeper updates. We're almost finished with this effort. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.