Let's talk about fishing again!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by majoria70, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So as we approach R40 there is for some a great excitement. You may ask and why is that? Well just take a look below to see the SOTA portion of the quarterly schedule below:

RELEASE 40, March 30, 2017

• Story: We will be doing some final polish passes on the Path of Courage and beginning to polish the Path of Truth. Additionally, a vast dungeon will be opening underneath Blood Bay. We will also be un-cloning the Kas Ruins, Elysium Mines, and a few adventure scenes. We will also be refactoring the tutorial system to improve the new user experience.
    • Character: We will begin creating Viking-inspired clothing for the NPCs in the Norgard and Verdantis areas of Novia to better define that region, including outfits for Royalty, Guards, Citizens, and Merchants. We will also be polishing the Troll visuals and creating more visual variations for our children NPCs.
    • Crafting: Fishing will be polished and expanded and Alcohol recipes will be added to the game.
    • Guild Alliances: Guilds will now be able to form alliances with each other.
    • Offline Combat Balance and Economy: A pass will be made through the game to adjust combat balance for play in offline mode with companions. Additionally, the economy in offline mode will be tuned to be better balanced for single-player. For instance, NPC merchants will buy player-crafted items at a profit to the player. Also, pledge and Add-On Store items will be available from NPC merchants for purchase with in-game gold.
    • User Interface: A polish pass will be made to the user interface to improve general usability and visuals.
    So as we head toward fishing which has always been a very anticipated feature of the game especially very mentioned by @Winfield lets get our ideas out there again Actually the time is very right for it now. ;)

-Later we will have boating and fishing on boats and sea monsters I hope.

-But for now I am hoping for message in a bottle that give treasure maps and side quests for us to send us around the world.

- I'm also hoping for sharks, crabs, jelly fish or some types of water creaters that matter and sometimes get in our way. This will provide a more alive and fun feeling to our bodies of water for us to adventure in.

-I would love for great sound effects and splashes and enhancements that let us know we've caught something, and especially when we've caught something special. Our character may let out a cheer or yell 'YAY I am so happy" (well as an example) ;).

-Also I want to see different bait and crafting recipes for it and when it rains we get worms.

-I would also like to feel like I'm reeling the fish in, perhaps a big fish, I would fall on my butt and work for it. ;) I want more than the yellow line saying you are fishing, how about a fishing bar that gives options to cast, reel in,

Ok that is a start for me and my wishlist for fishing. I will add more later perhaps ;)

Jump on in and let the Devs know what you would like to see for fishing and also what you like already about fishing. For me I so far really like the way the casting looks and how our character reels the fish in. *cheers*
    This is an example of FFXIV fishing but just for reference. I know we all have our own ideas, but I do like fishing bars to give us things to do while fishing and fishing skills we get better at like casting. :)

edited: Fishing polish has been moved to Septempber along with agriculture. So we continue to rally for what we want to see for our fishing system. Go TEAM GO!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Time Lord, By Tor, ship2 and 14 others like this.
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

And water diving to find underwater caves! ;) (and ancient archaeology!)

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

I just hope it will not get pushed back for something else, like so many other long awaited items have..........................

Time Lord, Leelu and majoria70 like this.
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

5. Elay

Elay Avatar

I'd love to see different bait types to catch different fish and maybe different rods etc.

Time Lord, Luca Xante and majoria70 like this.
  6. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

As long as it's all soloable Like in UO it's all good. I'd hate to get mib's or treasure maps which can only be finished by grouping.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Only game I have ever played with this was EQ1 and it actually worked. Every game I played after claimed it would be to much work to make underwater stuff. I miss it!

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh yes definitely we should be able to solo fishing, but still there could be sea monsters later in certain places for fun. I never want us to not be able to enjoying our boating trips as well. I remember how beautiful the water was in Archeage and how much I looked forward to fishing and boating there, but alas it was a pain in the butt. People killed you and stole your boat and broke it and there was no way you could enjoy some fishing at all. So I do understand what you are saying believe me ;)

Time Lord and Luca Xante like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

from the old post by @Lord Baldrith https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishing-ideas.37725/#post-428926

Since Fishing is showing up in the game in R22 I think it would be good to rehash these ideas I had a while back so that our in game fishing is deep and fun! I do not want fishing to just be click and cast and click to reel in your catch. I want to see a more complex and exciting fishing system.

I have been doing fishing in games since Ultima Online and have some ideas based on past experiences and new ideas I have been thinking about. A system where different types of fish had different ways to be caught was one fun system that I played. (Vanguard). It worked like this: Trout for example. You would cast, get a trout on your line (It would recognize the fish and label it) and you have to figure out how to 'fight' with it using the arrow keys. Up, Right, Left, Down. If you figured out the combo then the fish took damage. If not the fish could figure out your combo, and work at getting away. If you did enough damage, the fish was caught. You would have to learn the combo for each fish type. Now, that's an easy enough one to 'wiki' the movement of each fish (or make note as you discover it), or our game could create random combo movements, making each fish unique and hence not obvious. This could be tedious...and I would guess higher fishing skill could alleviate some of the annoyance of losing fish after fish :).

Perhaps you could even specialize in certain fish. Another system that I considered great fun was one in which you started out with very few skills. At first all you could do was cast the line and reel it in. Once you gained skill in fishing, you would develop new abilities. There was an ability in one game that allowed you to catch a fish, and then use that fish on your line to try and catch a bigger fish. (called mooching) I would hope you could eventually develop the ability to do spearfishing, net fishing, lure fishing, fly fishing, worm fishing, ice fishing (YIPEE)

That brings me to another detail in fishing which could effect other skills of our character. Creation of bait thru cooking. Also, lures, flies, and nets could be crafted in one of the current skillsets. Traps for crabs and other forms of water creatures would also be a nice craft able item. I remember creating many pieces of bait from small minnows that I could catch at first, enabling me to catch better fish for cooking recipes and for better bait recipes. Also, worm catching could be a part of Gardening/Agriculture in that, when picking your veggies or regents out of the garden, you catch a pile of worms. Perhaps worms could also be obtained on public gardening spots, or just a creature that you could pick up at random times during your travels. The worms would probably have a limited life span (If we wanted to see more realism) which could be increased with the crafting of bait boxes, or some kind of place to store the worms.

A great idea suggested by Avatar Acid: Putting out a lantern or some kind of heat source could also attract fish to your line...perhaps other forms of luring could be enabled. Also fish schools could be in some waters, and deep waters would hold bigger fish and bigger dangers. The possibility of catching a shark that would quickly endanger your life would make for a more exciting fishing experience...but perhaps that could be on a deep sea adventure and you'd kind of be prepared for that type of situation.

Also, treasure chests, small boxes, rusty junk should all be possible to catch on your line. Perhaps even some rare materials and items could find it's way on your line... Fishing contests and quests are also a fun way to work fishing! A fun way to earn great fishing related rewards as well.

An Outline Format on the skills for fishing (Thanks Avatar Acid) 1. Fishing Style Skills A. Fly Fishing B. Ice Fishing C. Lure Fishing D. Net Fishing E. Worm Fishing F. Trap Setting G. Spear Fishing H. Mooching 2. Fishing Technique Skills A. Casting B. Reeling C. Trapping D. Luring 3. Bait A. Minnow Ball (cooking skill) B. Trout Ball (cooking skill) C. Cheesy Ball (cooking skill) D. Worm Ball (cooking skill) E. Lures (carpentry skill?) F. Nets (tailoring skill) G. Fishing Spear (blacksmithing skill) I could go on and on and on but I will leave it here for discussion/comments. Thanks so much for reading!

10. pyro660

pyro660 Avatar

Fishing needs to be a lot of things - relaxing, exciting and full of discovery. It should also have its moments of danger. One never knows what lurks below

I will admit that I have not read Tracy's book, but it would be cool if the lore includes references or hints of sunken ships, lost treasure, artifacts, antiques, etc, etc, etc. Would be so easy to have literally thousands of items that have super rare drop rates that have no real function beyond museum or home deco. The discovery of these items would not impact game balance but would create a market and informal professions - artifact hunters, collectors, museum owners, etc. Fisherman, hunters, adventurers... basically everyone would benefit from the thrill of finding a once in a lifetime item. With the fishing update, I hope we see this begin to happen.

11. Elay

Elay Avatar

It would be good for the fish to have weight - something you can record - particularly useful for competitions etc.

I like the idea of specific bait for specific fish - for example, I do a lot of carp fishing and I know that to avoid catching nuisance silver fish I use large baits with particular smells etc - but by doing so I know I probably also wont catch the smaller carp so could end up only catching 4 or 5 fish in a morning's session - but they'll all be large carp. Whereas if I use just a small maggot on the hook, I may catch 20+ fish but they'll mostly be very small roach/bream etc.

Also, using a float that stays in one place should probably have a lower chance of hooking unusual items - whereas using a lure that you drag through the water with multiple hooks on it would have a greater chance of snagging things on the bottom etc

or is that too complex? - we're not trying to create a fishing simulator here!

12. ship2

ship2 Avatar

I love all of those bullets Majoria posted

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Another video of Fishing in a game. Now what I would like to see us take away from these examples is not confusion but that we have interest. The commonality in the FFXIV video and this one is that fishing is interactive. It is not just the same old same old YELLOW BAR that we watch. Interesting is Fish can have weight, history, and types of bait choices that give us the types of fish we catch. Reasons to fish is fundamental and needs to be added into the game, not just artifacts except a fish can be special and some could be openable to find things in them. The thing is, we get a feature in the game that is more fun for some some and it is overused. I def don't want fishing to produce a control point to make it interesting yikes please no.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. Soryu

Soryu Avatar

If fishing weight was added to fish, there could also be Fishing Contests by town per week or month. Give away prizes for largest fish. Would need to be way people could not hoard large fish to enter into contests. Could even have betting on who would win contest, before contest begins of course. Could add nested instances with secret spots which could be discovered by players. Or maps in bottles which lead players to secret spots for relative time period.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I bet an easier implementation (at least, for now) is you get more fish per successful catch, to represent weight. For example, 3 salmon as a catch could be perceived as a fish three times bigger than your single salmon.

Mbiz, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  16. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I would like to see more fish dishes so they can be higher duration like other 1 or 2 hour foods.

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Love that idea! It would be great if they made some rare fish for 4 hour cooking recipes and extremely rare fish for 8 hour recipes too.

18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

If we were to get a fishing weight system, it would be nice to see it as a tier type.

So if a fish has a weight under 25 stones it would just be a "Normal" fish, and would just read: Bass, 18 Stones.

Anything over 25 stone could be labeled as "Rare" fish, and would have a title of cough by, zone cough in, weight, and date.

This would make running fishing contest easy to judge, and make trophies more interesting.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What great ideas you have guys. I just edited the OP to note fishing updates was moved to September but still we need all the ideas from the community for when this update is coming. I want to give the developers some great ideas. Fishing is a very requested feature in this game and it should matter that it gets good stuff before this game releases as one of the fun things to do. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.