About Fishing

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Swan, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swan

Swan Avatar

hello, didnt find on forums much info about fishing,
    1. can you shovel worms?
    2. merchant offers 3gold from my fish what used like 80 gold worth of worms to get, does cooked fish give more money or how im suppose to sustain fishing?

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

I have heard it told that eventually worms will be a byproduct of agriculture, which is not fleshed out yet. Worms can also be found on zombies and dead bodies (ew) for free! :D

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Fishing hasn't had much love beyond initial implementation. It's definitely not done.

Tahru, DuKe NuKeM, Montaigne and 2 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I've never been able to fish... I have worms and a fishing pole and have the fishing glyph unlocked.... nothing. :confused:

5. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Only way I can fish is to put the Fishing Glyph in a slot in the Hot Bar, and then if there are worms in my Inventory when I click on the Fishing Glyph in the Hot Bar I get the targeting reticule that I can move over water to cast.

6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I never even thought to put the glyph in the hotbar. I've tried everything else... derp.

7. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

Sometimes harvesting clay resource nodes yield free worms as well.

Tahru, DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm not trying to hijack the post here... but now that I can fish, I'm discovering that I'm pretty terrible.

[​IMG]

9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I want to know what kind of worms these are that make them worth an entire gold coin?! :eek:

10. Swan

Swan Avatar

yeah i dont know how currency is in game, but i think 1gold is lowest currency so trash and worms , and best i get is 3 gold a fish.. i think it should be 300 then.
    and iron sword is probably 10 000gold? :p Inflation is real

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Get Ready For Something Wonderful~
    [​IMG]

~The Sound of Silence Can Speak Louder Than Words~
    I've been posting on this subject for a very long time and so have many others... for maybe 3 years now with the same results... I've posted until I was red, white and blue in the face, "which means that something special is happening with our fishing". I've called Lord British and our developing team every sweet name "as well as extremely bad things" and have gotten back little and the little they did say, was nothing... which means that there is something special that is coming for our fishing game.

~The Father of Online Fishing~
    Our @RichardGarriott has always had a unique interest in fishing. You could almost say that UO was one of the first online fishing games. He was so fascinated when incognito questioning players on UO about fishing, that he has mentioned that fact all throughout his career in gaming. So make no doubt that Richard, "and the developer currently assigned working on fishing" know exactly what they want from having so many years of loving the game of online fishing.

Just like how other skills have been thus far presented, we don't know if we will be getting it all in one release, or whether it will be rolled out piece by piece, but it is coming!

~What Can Be Done in Online Fishing~
    To give you some idea of how or what it will be like, just do a YouTube search for other online fishing games and you may get some idea of how simple those fishing games are and what can be accomplished here in our SOTA. UO fishing still beats some of those current online games, which gives me confidence that whatever is coming for our fishing, will easily rival and most likely surpass anything that has ever been developed thus far in the online fishing gaming industry. I think you will find that graphics and graphic displays are going to be the differences of how fishing will be presented. This is because of what graphics would best fit into our SOTA styled gaming environment.

~Our Possible Likely Future~
    I think we're going to have to fight our way into and defend against land based monsters in order to get to the more challenging and rewarding fishing grounds. The next challenge for our fishing after that will be when boats and our waters open up for play. That may sound very similar to UO fishing which was developed many decades ago, but when you look at what our cooking and other current crafts have within their complexities, "I'm certain that our fishing will be following with that same amount of complex design for us to enjoy"

The reason that our fishing isn't currently profitable or reasonable, I believe is the fact that it doesn't need testing yet... ;)

:eek: That's my take on the state of SOTA fishing :confused:'
    But I would like to see some special + in fishing given by the addition or use of our very cool SteamPunk sunglasses! :cool:
    ~Time Lord~:D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    majoria70, Tahru, Bow Vale and 6 others like this.
  12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

The only thing I've gotten out of fishing ( I know it's a no love skill atm) is I made a bass and salmon wall mount - both look kinda cool actually.

Other than that, I don't do much fishing - one thing I have noticed though is - if you don't get a spot wit 19% or better, just cancel and re-cast - nothing for me has been fished up under 19% spots.

13. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

And the trout wall mount is beautiful, too! Time of day impacts when fishing will be better....I think it's best in the morning, second best evening or night, I can't recall for sure. But they don't seem to bite as well during the middle of the day. Plus, after a few casts in the same spot, it helps to relocate. I guess we fished the first hole dry, so to speak.

DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

[​IMG]

...one can only hope :)

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

a fantastic free online fishign game on steam is Fishing Planet. (i reccomend tryign this if your into fishing)

Mortal Online also had very fun fishing on it that made landing rare catches difficult (and folks made them a well kept secret ;) )
    ^this game was very heavily influenced by ultima online too.

16. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I also believe Fishing is a "sleeping giant" for fun, relaxation, competitions, technique, and commercial industry in the game. I believe fishing can be a "game within the game". For now, it is a placeholder with a few calculation mechanics. I could imagine fish hatcheries too where we can help populate streams and ponds (have to care for the hatcheries though!)

Fishing is obviously more than catch and make food, gold or trophies. It is a culture unto itself and a great excuse to sit back, relax, get to know people, or even write a book.

• mid 2014 - Release 9 or 10 or so - Community Fishing events started ("Fishing with Winfield" on Sunday nights) - we stood on a dock/shore equipping our fishing pole in combat mode - we just chatted, talked, etc. The events continue to include playing music, singing, and even promoting charities (like Water.org).

• Release 22 - September 25, 2015
      • Fishing: Players can begin catching fish in the game.
      • Fishing: In R22, Fishing will work in any area where the water is deep enough to swim (it is not node based like other harvesting). For now, all water is the same (no salt vs. freshwater) and shallow water (e.g. swamps) cannot be fished in, but more water types and associated fish types will get added in later releases. In R22, there will be three fish types and at least one cooking recipe for each (including Butchery recipes to clean and filet the fish as well as crafting trophy decorations). Long term, we have tons of features and modifiers that we will be adding to fishing, such as seasons, time of day, hot spots, reeling, fish sizes, leader boards, etc. Please note we don’t yet have any visual effects for fishing so you won’t see the line going into the water or fish being retrieved.
    • Release 23 - October 29, 2015
      • Fishing: We added a new fishing skill and improved the visuals.
      • Bait Recovery: Increases the chance that worms will not be consumed when an attempt to fish fails.
      • Casting Range: How far you can cast your line is now tied to the level of your base Fishing skill. As it goes up you can cast farther.
      • Line & Bobber Visuals: You can now see the line and bobber when fishing.
      • Fishing Hot Spots: There are now fishing hot spots in various maps that have higher fishing yields. Currently, all fishing hotspots are identical and they only exist in deep, swimmable water. They can be identified by a small visual effect (currently sparkles on the surface of the water). In the future there will be a range of visuals, including schools of fish, that indicate hot spots. Casting your fishing line into a hot spot will improve one's chances at fishing up better loot. The closer your bobber is to the center of the hotspot, the greater your chances at better loot. Additional fishing hotspots will be added over time.
    • Release 25 - December 17, 2015
      • Fishing in Swamps: Fish can now be gathered in the swampy areas of New Britannia.

majoria70, Tahru, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  17. Deides

Deides Avatar

animal crossing on the WII had the best fishing. The fishling line wobbled and you had a brief amount of time to click the button. The rarer the fish the smaller the amount of time you had to click the button. Made it fun and challenging.= without being overly complicated.

Tahru, Time Lord, DuKe NuKeM and 2 others like this.
  18. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I've been fishing quite a bit in this last release. I have my skill up to about 60 fishing skill and 50ish bait recovery. I usually get a 50%-60% catch rating.... but tend to catch more fish when it is close to 30%!

I used my golden crowns... back when you could sell them to a NPC vendor for a pretty penny and bought a lot of worms. I also have the fishing pole from the add-on store. The skill levels slowly at first but definitely invest in bait recovery. You start to break even around skill level 20-25 or so.

I don't make much money, bass, trout, salmon, leather boots (2-4 pts of durability), cloth helm, leather helm - all 2-4ish points that sell for 4-6 gp.
    I catch the fish then butcher them, then sell to NPC's. I can make a slow profit, as I should. Nothing too much.

It's fun and relaxing. I found Brittany down by the crafting area has nice easy hot spots. Some are far to cast, but range increases over time. So far the ingredients for cooking are next to impossible to find.. in fact I had to steal carrots! I couldn't find an NPC that would sell me any - even when they had them right there on their vegetable stand.

It would be awesome to find unique fishing oriented gear with buffs from fishing... like a lucky fishing hat, one armed pirate jacket, sharktooth necklace, etc..

I look forward to fishing over time as it improves. Happy hooking!

tangar, Tahru, Oyjord Hansen and 7 others like this.
  19. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'd like to see them spend some time on it, because with the game the way it is, I can see them not wanting to bother, but I think the little things like fishing can really make this game relaxing to play.

Lord Baldrith, Time Lord and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.