Bards and how they buff

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

+++1 for having them.

Now, what if their buffs were by song, not by instrument? So you want to cast soothing music? Neverending Story. Strength and Damage? Imperial March.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or, when you have time a couple episodes down the road, use one of those beat detecting assets to figure out if it's a hard or a soft song, and buff accordingly.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Interesting idea, but that would require them to offer the music files themselves. To my knowledge, they legally can't.

With that said, having the buffs dictated by the instruments means that bards have one more thing to contribute to the game's economy; rather than just get a flute and download a crap-ton of ABC files off the web.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

These legalities are an interesting question.

I wrote a book and included the lyrics of a song in the book along with my writing. Now they book sellers in game refused to sell it because it had these lyrics in it. Yet, they were advertising another players in game song list which were also copyright (RIAA). Now, my book is just the lore of my PoT and I just wanted to get it out there and chose a low price compared to their book selections. I really didn't care at all for the gold.

So how legal is it to write books or music in a game that are copy right, even if a player does it.

I have played a Bard in game for a long time, I used to sit in Adoris for hours playing music.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And fyi, we do have a couple of artifacts in game that go in your instrument slot that do add a buff atm. so *hint* *hint* for the future. ;)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

@2112Starman I'm no lawyer but I believe the line is usually drawn when currency is concerned. Considering that gold has monetary value... you're not legally allowed to sell any copyrighted works regardless of medium.

8. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Bards ftw! i definitely want to see something like that implemented in game:D

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That's what I suspected, we have a huge issue in game with this then.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

one of the things I wanted to do is sell my books to the npc vendors, and in return have them be part of the world loot system and people could randomly loot mobs that contained it. But if you cannot sell them then how can you get them into the world loot system?

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@redfish How about the bard selecting what files to play for each of their buff type? @Gix No Port involvement other than making the interface?

Then when the bard activates subskills that are music related, the music plays a bit LOUDER. Bam, so they can "play" their song with FEELING!

12. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

A walk around the copyrighted songs is if players made more of the songs that we use in game for these things.

Just tossing ideas out there, but the way that the music system works, I think it would maybe be cool if you could kind of find places to power up ( like the virtue statues) and charge an instrument , or if possible maybe link it to a certain song that you play right there in game upon binding (using 1-8 notes, no files at all). I think it would be very cool to see and hear everyone's individual buff song.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would suggest a way to power up would be by the community. You would need to play for a group and they could boost your moral by a group blessing or a group cheer. *spitballing*

chuck5086 likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Vanguard had a good Songsystem for Bards.
    Look at it and maybe adapt to whats possible.
    There you have several Song parts which stands for a buff and then you create a Song with the buff combo you like.
    Liked it to run on top of a Mountain and fly walk on my Song through the world :)

Lord Baldrith and chuck5086 like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

The reason I said that Portalarium would need to include the music files with the game is because, with your suggestion, it would otherwise be required by the player to have music files in order to cast different buffs. No music files, no buffs. How could you expect the devs to publish a game like that?

How could you expect the players to accept the burden of hunting down those files on their own?

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Actually I totally would. First, it would be great for the music makers like @scroda and second, you have to get better weapons and armor, find a place to buy or make arrows, why not songs?

A bard is kind of a weird class anyway, no one is stepping into those shoes in the beginner area, they must choose to pick up the harp once they are a little way in. And in so choosing, would then need to find their ammunition, in the form of songs.

I imagine we'd have some pretty great "Bard Outfitting" stores created quite quickly.

scroda likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

I didn't ask if you were willing to hunt down the files...

Because, unlike songs, weapons, armour and ammunition are provided in the game. If there's a particular feature in the game, the game BY ITSELF has to be able to support that feature.

It doesn't change the fact that music makers can still make great music...

Games that enables the use of the player's own music library (Crypt of the Necrodancer being a good example) still come with its own library of music. If Portalarium were to create its own ABC formatted soundtrack, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.