Request to not like my posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I wish we only were allowed to conclude one of those...

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

To be clear about this part, it is my philosophy that relationships that are rooted in reality are not only constructed by mere appearances and pleasantry, they require yes rules, but rules that you can break so you can know where loyalties stand. Of course all my friends will be the nicest people in the world if I keep their belly full every time they visit, but in dire times when I need help and have nothing to offer anymore ? Who are still friends... this is the main subject of MANY movies and books that forged our roleplaying universes, how can we ignore it is beyond me. I cannot get over it, we are making things that made our heart beat to be a mere farce.

Our design has a rule that has taken form in the body of the oracle (I love writing like that, I sound so serious lol). Combine this with the wonderful fact that many people are completely dissociated with... pretty much everything.

In the good old UO days we had Army of Darkness guild seeding terror, well other guilds banded together and LLTS was born, then they charged an honorable fee to protect miners and crafters that went in dangerous regions. What excitement, what natural flow, what a great guild... its just one example of player created content that led to people uniting their strength and creating long lasting relationships that have been tried and tested (because in the good old days the GM made sure there was a share of intrigue and illusions to give space for elaboration)... I don't like how arrogant I sound when I speak of the good old days, but its been an irritating journey realising how mutated it has all become... please forgive me.

The Oracle prevents any unwanted conflict, and well that is pretty much all conflict that would lead to the coagulation of relationships and guilds and create emotional motivation for people to engage in the stories. This is one of the simplest truth to acknowledge... its so simple a kid would understand the difference between an utopia and a sandbox.

I could work for years in the community and in game to earn respect have tons of friendships yet any stranger can come, steal my prey and take my loot, and if I wasn't happy about it, he could put me on ignore or simply laugh as the oracle prevents me from even provoking him. It makes my eyes bleed... some might say it sounds superficial, yet its a mere example of a deeply hidden truth.

For the sake of eliminating a few bad apples we have thrown the baby with the bathwater. It is a true tragedy...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Verit, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

you know how it makes me feel ? exactly like when I admitted to my new "cool" highschool friends that I was into roleplaying.

Oh yes I was made fun of... photos of me playing in LARP were laughing stock (my low budget costume was indeed hilarious), kids would use every chance they get to bully me, draw on me when I slept, make me feel ridiculous for wishing to be a paladin and uphold virtue.

In fact all that made my imagination soar, the knights of solamnia, the fellowship, the glory of the blue flame, the protectors of virtue... it was all a source of suffering and shame. Especially with women I loved, oh they made me feel so childish for wanting to play... was it a sad excuse I leave that to your imagination :(

I'm stubborn... I never let it get to me, proof I'm here and I take my pledge at HEART.

Yet today, I feel worse, I feel laughed at in a way that gets to me. Because its the people whom I admired all my life who do the deed.

I am vulnerable, it hurts but I will take it like a man, like I always did.

I forgive all of you... peace.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

even now as I re-read myself in disbeleif... I manage to overanalyze the situation and feel ridiculous... who cares ahu about eternal dilemma of the balance between fantasy and reality. Who cares about letting the inner child speak when we try to "be ourselves" in a community of a medieval themed supposedly kid friendly gamers.

What if a kid can't be one of the official "selves" and make the zodiac turn round... he falls into the white noise oblivion ? We conveniently turn the blind eye and tell us "oh its just a game"

But thats exactly where we came in...

"oh its not supposed to be serious"

OH THEN, WHY in HEAVEN can't I be myself without walking on eggshells ? Because I might have a few political opinions ? That has never stopped anyone from telling me my 4 cardinal truths before :p

[​IMG]

Leelu likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Lost me here.
    Got a like anyway :p

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

One thing that worries me is if people who have like alerts turned on get griefed by it.

So you could basically like their post, then unlike it a little later, and then like it again the next day. Repeating the process will show an alert to that person each day. So they basically get excited for a new alert and it just keeps turning out to be bogus.

How depressing that would be.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

[​IMG]

Ahuaeynjgkxs, jammaplaya and Leelu like this.
  8. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I really like you, Tahru!

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I stopped patting or petting my dog when he does something good. He doesn't seem as happy lately.

Kambrius and Leelu like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I just want to clear something up as some seemed taken back by this request.

To begin with, I was not expecting anyone to respond to my thread. There is really no other way to make this statement without creating a thread.

Secondly, to paraphrase what I told a good friend privately... I expected that some might have an issue with my opinion and I was thinking that asking them not to like my posts could adversely affect how their forum experience is. It is not my intention to cause anyone grief and I expected everyone to continue their normal behavior that makes them happy. My topic is more about detaching myself from the like system because it was adversely affecting my forum experience. Just by asking others not to like, I have devalued likes that exist (and do not exist) on "my" posts so that they are no longer considered in relation to my forum participation. It actually is of no consequence now if people like my posts or not. It is not my goal to tell people what to think about the like system with this thread.

All the best...

12. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I want a "dislike" button... Problem solved.

btw I "like" how you colored your sig :p

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Leelu like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I don't get exited when I get alot of likes, its more like "uh oh" I'm in trouble :p

how do you say it in english... anticipation ?

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Everyone, Please, Please, Please! I'm trying to resist the Like Button :confused:!'
    [​IMG]
    That's not exactly easy for me you know! :(~TL~

Aldo, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I will do my best to honor your request, however I use "likes" in threads that I started to indicate that I read somebody's reply, since there is currently no other way for somebody to know that I have read it if I don't plan to directly reply. So if that happens to you, please know it was just a mindless oversight, and not using the "like" button to directly antagonize you.

Beyond this- I am interested to understand your perspective better. I mean- it seems self-evident that people use "like" to mean all sorts of different things. I guess I didn't realize there was some kind of competition going on over likes... there are those silly trophies and all however I kind of had assumed others thought they were ridiculous also.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I was starting to ponder what you meant by "sublimity to extrapolate" however then realized you lost me at "everybody".

If you are truly concerned about the so-called "rules of engagement" then perhaps consider expressing your opinions without couching them in a fallacious false consensus.

TL;DR No "likes" for your post! :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah this is not new... but at one point you ought to realise I'm not doing this for fun, its neither pleasurable in any way because I'm the first to fight generalizations and blanket statements.

Also I'm not harassing anyone about it... how long its been since my last posts ? oh yeah sometimes this winter where I said see you all this summer, after a gentle lady like you asked me to stop being myself. I'm not important, I know when to take my hole and spend my life living in the shadows of people who then never step up and quest for truth.

Well its summer, and I still have the same opinion, someone even turned the knife in the wound. It's all so fake to me, I could care less ; but I mind.

So I'm not happy, EVERYONE will survive, as usual and so its my feedback, I share it however I see fit.

I am pained that it irritates you, but then again thats not news either.

respect *bows*... you sure know how to crush a defenseless sad nerd.

thats all it takes to send me away :) till I come back again because I'm ever hopeful that, everyone, will open their eyes and start to see how unconditional is the love of the xorinite :) in the meantime, you're on your own, community.

take care, nothing is ever lost !

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

It's truly fascinating to me when a person chooses to make overly broad generalizations of other people's opinions, and then when challenged by others, they pick up their toys and go home.

If you think you are displaying "unconditional love" as you remove yourself (again) from the community because you don't have the space here to speak for others, perhaps spending more time in solitary contemplation will be of benefit to you.

See you at Launch! :)

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I doubt I will see any of you, in my heart maybe, and you especially before you started to openly antagonize me for some obscure reasons that had me wondering about the bad effects I had on people. I leave not by choice, everytime I am crushed and reduced to a number.

And its even more hurtful because everytime, in game, the only thing I try to be is a honorable knight of lord british, but people always meta-game with me... I don't have to generalize, its the truth. I cannot play the game as I see fit and be myself, and to my great surprise even people who don't know who I really am, and how low I have fallen into the abyss.

My ideal is there clear as day, yet the game does not allow it, it means nothing, my dream is ruined. All I can be is the alter ego, the player I became in UO that was always nice to other people but always in quest of power. And that is how my contribution here is perceived just because I am radically different from the norm.

That is the truth, however you might want to disguise it, its not my unconditional love to offer, I am just the messenger I am not even to participate in the celebrations.

But indeed I am not worried about love, it gives not but of itself, and takes not but of itself.

I am in the heart of god.

I LOVE Ultimas, I LOVE the dev team, I LOVE their unapologetic expression, their jokes, their larp fights... its all something I would love to share with everyone. Yet I represent something more dark and troubling than, everyone, is willing to face.

My mere presence is hurtful and in my goal of harmlessness and compassion I am thereby forced to resign and leave space for people who are much more important in the great picture ; like you milady. I'm also surprised that nobody ever challenged me, its attacks, tombstone questions that distort my intentions, accusations of being a troll or fallacious without even mentioning their own perspective.

So it is so surprising that I'm irritated and that I would express myself with vehemence ? nope... I'm all for respect but I'm in a quest for truth, and still many essential questions go unanswered. You can't blame me for being impatient, after all this time... and I am not alone in this posture, so however small my consensus is, its all too real, unreal even how disconnected we became from our inspiration.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.