Anyone using the Lunar Rifts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I walk or use teleport scrolls,I'm not even interested in looking,waiting or seeing where or when they go to. :D:p

2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

For me, the Lunar Rifts are all about pre-planning. I have the Chronometer up in the background and I simply adjust my schedule around it. I always have shopping to do, or ingots to smelt so I plan a accordingly. I leave for the rift a couple minutes before my destination pops. Same if I am mining. Its amazing how much time and gold (scrolls) I save with just a few minutes of thinking ahead. Mileage varies though, I mean some people just like the feeling of dirt under their feet. :D

majoria70, Aldo and LoneStranger like this.
  3. Ayelis

Ayelis Avatar

Until there's a town siege on your lunar rift and you're too low-level to make it across in time. There goes your 8 minute window! :eek:
    But I agree for the most part. The problem is making it out TO the rift in time. Arm your coconuts!

[I need to set my quick-switch combat deck to coconuts, don't I? Such a hassle equipping two items just to 'board your mount' or whatever...
    And then every time you need to open a door to get where you need to go, you have to 'dismount' by opening both your character and inventory windows... Ugh!]

Aldo likes this.
  4. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Dont forget to add to your non-lunar rift travel time dealing with 'random' encounters. When you are overweight these are almost unavoidable. 2 fun filled loading screens per 'random' encounter.

Ayelis, Aldo and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

sure they are, silent movement still works

Aldo and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I fart too much to use silent movement..

7. Alley Oop

there are no beans in game yet!

monkeysmack likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Point at the target stones with your reticle/pointer and each stone will say it's destination, the carving in the stone is the moons cycle, then look at your compass to see what time of day it is... Those will also tell you where the rifts are located, check the in game sota map when in the overworld to find those places... The energy beam is striking the current destination...

And Yes, I use them all the time, but must be aware of the time of day to be there when that destination is up, they stay for 10 minutes each...

Aldo likes this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Propellant for special MonkeyDash.

Moiseyev Trueden and monkeysmack like this.
  11. Ayelis

Ayelis Avatar

If only they were timed to change every 7.5 minutes... Then we could actually plan our Earth schedules around the rift, because the cycle would repeat every 60 minutes! [i.e. 30 minutes after the hour, the rifts would have the same target]
    Though I guess that might not be convenient for people who always have to be doing something on the hour every hour...

SmokerKGB and Aldo like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That only happens to Etceter and Brookside. None of the other locations have devotionals.

Etceter is a moderately redundant destination, with Blood River and Westend usually not being much farther to walk from. Unless you're really encumbered, I guess.

Brookside is one of the few ways in or out of Drachvald (the others are Vauban Pass and walking around Blood Bay), but it is already a long walk because it is all the way across town from the entrance. It's much easier to make the side trip around the siege on the way in than it is to get to through town to the rift, and if you rift in, you get placed on the town side of the siege that you would have had to walk through to get out anyhow.

I've already posted how you can use a chart and a synchronized clock to determine the time of the next rift change. The trick is that the seconds and the units digits of the time are always the same, since 70 minutes is a multiple of 10 minutes. 60 minutes is already the day cycle, and it would be boring to match that. I'm happy that the rift cycle isn't so long as to be really annoying.
    Code:
    +00:00 New Moon         Blood River
    +08:45 Waxing Crescent  Solace Bridge
    +17:30 First Quarter    Highvale
    +26:15 Waxing Gibbous   Brookside
    +35:00 Full Moon        Owl's Head
    +43:45 Waning Gibbous   Westend
    +52:30 Third Quarter    Brittany Graveyard
    +61:15 Waning Crescent  Etceter
    +70:00
    EDIT: and now I see a pattern where if I can memorize the units digits 8/7/6/5 3/2/1/0, I might even able to figure it out without looking at the chart.

Aldo likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Very useful for getting to Sprite and back since that control point is vicious.

Aldo likes this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

After using the Brookside rift a few times to get to Spite, I am going back to the Vauban pass route. That trip through foggy Brookside is depressing to me and I get irritated at how far from the entry point the rift is. However, for others who really hate the pass, I am sure glad it is there for them. More visits to our peninsula can only be a good thing.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's not going into Drachvald that's the problem, it's getting out. The rift is right by an exit, making it quick to leave Brookside, it just happens to be almost as far away from the entrance as possible.

We really need quick travel signs in NPC towns that large, just like they have in the equivalent POT template to Brookside. I think Ardoris is the only large NPC town to have same-scene travel. Brittany only has quick travel to other Brittany scenes, but not to the same scene. (And the boat in Central Brittany doesn't go to Brittany Graveyard.)

Aldo likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

they did just add it to aerie. ..but yes.

Aldo likes this.
  17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yea, it's the getting out that is the problem. First few times I tried, I never found the rift. It is not marked on the compass when you enter and the fog is so thick I just can't enjoy the scene at all. Once I found the route, I decided that leaving through Vauban is preferable for me. I live in Spite, so always recall back in.

Ayelis likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yes, I know that feel. I had to do that in QA, when recall scrolls weren't working because encumbrance was broken!

Aldo likes this.
  19. Ayelis

Ayelis Avatar

But then you have to be AT the lunar rift in order to find out the current destination, and know the current time, only to then find out you'll have to wait for up to 62 minutes sitting at the rift, or find something else to do nearby and sit through the loading screens...

As opposed to
    Code:
    :00   New Moon         Blood River
    :07.5 Waxing Crescent  Solace Bridge
    :15   First Quarter    Highvale
    :22.5 Waxing Gibbous   Brookside
    :30   Full Moon        Owl's Head
    :37.5 Waning Gibbous   Westend
    :45   Third Quarter    Brittany Graveyard
    :52.5 Waning Crescent  Etceter
    Want to go to Owl's Head? Enter any rift at half past the hour. Set your watch and do it daily.

Aldo likes this.
  20. Ayelis

Ayelis Avatar

In Spite of what? :eek:

Elwyn and Aldo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.