Changes to the Combat System Resistance/Attunement/Armor/PVP...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

SotA is filled to the brim with casuals lol (out of the players we have)
    and MMORPGs are way more suited for casuals than CS but im starting to understand why we cant understand eachother

Stundorn likes this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Not only SotA...
    Studies suggest only 25% play longer than 5 hours per session in general (MMORPG) specific.
    There are tons of works on this. Yes MMORPG hours replaced average TV hours a long time ago... but hey most of us watch Netflix now while grinding so the numbers need to be recalculated :p

Sara Dreygon and Disgruntled like this.
  3. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

the MAIN thing that really killed the player base was decay. Why? Because it really hit casual players hard because the decay time amount includes time offline and time in towns. Solution, make decay time only accrue while online in adventure zones. Problem with this still is people that gather mats do not make much exp but are still accruing decay time. I do not yet have a solution for this. Just like in life, there is always going to be the next problem, evolution takes time and creativity, but just saying there is a problem does not solve the problem.

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Most people never understood if they nerf things or implement penalties they always hit the casuals the hardest.
    That's why I do not want to do that, and instead make it more accessible for everyone and still give the opportunity to level everything if its wanted. No Hardcap, but a limited deck.

Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've removed the salt.

Sara Dreygon, E n v y and Stundorn like this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I'm still looking for the salty part.
    I would advice you to read better numbers.

9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The CDFs of the average daily playtime and the average session playtime are shown in Fig. 3(a). We find out that 75% gamers play longer than 1.9 hours per day on average, and 25% longer than 4.9 hours per day, which indicates that the game is very attractive for its gamers. If we analyze the average session playtime, we find significant "knees" around 1 hour and 5 hours, which indicates that after logging into the game, there is a high probability that players will stay for at least one hour, but usually no longer than 5 hours. Because of the long session property, players probably do not login into the game too many times a day; hence the daily session count is not large, as shown in Fig. 3(b), where more than 80% of gamers' session counts are less than 2 per day on average. We summarize the quantiles and averages of the average daily playtime, average session playtime, and average daily session count in Table 2.

So funny :D It's right in the text :p

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing... Just like you're messages in game I think its best to ignore you from now on as I feel nothing constructive is coming out of this.

10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I want to pick that up... You are right, and I just wanted to pitch an idea how to improve the situation for casuals.
    I am 100% it's not longer implementable 1 by 1 as the game has progressed too far ahead. But maybe it will be taken into consideration that deck building could play are more vital role in defining your role.

Disgruntled likes this.
  11. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Exactly, that was the interesting part, i linked it just to show numbers they collected, the research itself is not useful in our discussion cause is based on interest in a game and how players lose it.

75% gamers play longer than 1.9 hours per day on average
    25% longer than 4.9 hours per day
    players will stay for at least one hour, but usually no longer than 5 hours.

The important part for our discussion is 75% MMORPG players spent atleast 2 hours in the game.
    And when i say atleast i mean it's the min time spent.

Exp grinding in K'rul PvP flagged for 2 Hours/daily is around 1500000, that mean 46500000 pooled exp in a months.
    An average (75% play longer than 2 hours) MMORPG gamer can bring from level 1 to 100 a skill daily in Shroud of the Avatar and around 30 in a month.

That's the point.

Main problem in Shroud of the Avatar is that there is a big number of passive players, someone want be high level, be rich and do near nothing to reach that.

12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

They tell you this or is it more assumptions?
    This argument is freaking annoying or it might be something/someone else...

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I wish it was so, but sadly I personally know too many players wich login everyday to take oracle rewards and logout, and spent more time on forum complaining than in game improving their character.
    The fact that I'm not referring to anyone in particular is just a matter of good behavior.
    You're free to trust my words or not.

In every thread usually i remember to all, the goal is a better game for all of us, we have to work together and give right and trusty feedback to devs. They need that to bring to us best experience they can create.

Disgruntled likes this.
  14. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

Its because people are not enjoying the game. They come to the forums and post feedback. Good or bad its feedback.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

your right I don't want to spend 2-4 hours a day getting exp so I can skill up things I don't want to skill up while playing a way I don't want to play while spending gold on reagents I don't want to buy so I can not be 1-3 shot by a mage... my bad.

16. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Usually they post feedback about things they're not able to do. Stating it's a game problem, but never asking themself if it's a player problem.

We already had a thread about similar discussion https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/youre-losing-pvp-cause.94216/ and it was locked. Better not take the same bend, but take a look at mentioned variables.

That means the game is perfect suitable also for average gamers cause with 2-3 hours daily i'm able to do what some players with 20+ levels can't do (PVP and PVM).

17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

EvE does it well. You train skills which are based on time...figures are wrong as done from memory but u get the idea!

Webbing skill...Tier 1 ( difficulty)
    Level 1 - 10 mins - web for 20% reduction
    Level 2 - 1 hour - web for 22.5% reduction
    Level 3 - 5 days - web for 25% reduction
    Level 4 - 3 weeks - web for 27.5% reduction
    Level 5 - 2 months - web for 30% reduction

This means a new player can specialize in a range of skills and be as good as a veteran player in a certain time frame. They will never be as versatile as a older player but they can get as good as, say in a specific type of ship, weapons and utility skills. This imo is ideal as it allows a veteran player an advantage in how much they can achieve/versatility but still allows a new player the ability to be competitive in XX amount of time with any player in the game ...if they specialize.

18. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

If it was perfect for casuals there would be more people playing and less of these threads.

Gorthyn and Stundorn like this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

The sad truth is that a lot of people (including myself) would play the game for longer periods of time if they didn't feel hamstrung by the skill progression system.

I log in, look at my quest log, know I can't do any of them until I'm more proficient in combat, look at my skill trees, know that I have to level up practically EVERYTHING to be remotely decent in combat... fiddle around a bit and then give up for the night.
    For example: What I want to do is sneak around behind people. My [Silent Movement] is at level 71 with a pathetic [Distract] of level 56. In a tier 1-2 zone, I don't even need to sneak around as I can kill anything in one or two swings. In a tier 3+ zone, I get spotted a mile away no matter how strategic and patient I try to be. When that happens, there are usually 2-3 enemies jumping me (usually the warrior, archer and mage combo) and my combat skills are struggling to keep up.

... I've been leveling my subterfuge tree since the game was in persistence. Not only do I have no magical attunement what-so-ever (aside from the default 10 in air), a lot of people are telling me that my issues are due to my lack of using any healing spells. So, in their minds, I have to waste my time casting spells when that's not what I was set out to do.

It wouldn't be that bad if my character could at least be competent in stealth; but he isn't. I don't mind not being good in combat if that means that I can sneak around... but when I lock every skill down and only set [Silent Movement] and [Distract] to train, it takes hours and hours before I see any sliver of progression. Yet, when I do the same for Blade skills, the skill increase sky-rocket.

It's an "on use" system yet none of it feels natural. Having to grind a skill to a minimum of level 40 for the skill to be mildly useful isn't satisfying... so that's just piling one problem on top of another.

While it is a sensible suggestion, the problem this brings up is people will constantly be swapping decks to min-max every encounters. It's cumbersome to the power-gamers (because they can't help it) and the casual folks will come to understand that they'll have to do the same eventually.

Kinda like having a PvP build and a PvE build (which is already bad by itself)... but worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.