Why do we insist on pvp Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Stundorn, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Already answered this.

2. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Why? They are designed for PVP combat. The walls to hide behind etc. Other than wanting a place to explore, I really don't understand the insistence of getting rid of the zones. What are they like 10 PVP only zones? It's like the PVE crowd d they can't have that last crumb from the cake... sheesh!

eli likes this.
  3. Flientje Vantmeeden

Flientje Vantmeeden Localization Team

I think the scenes should stay as they are, and maybe they will evolve some day, and become great battle grounds!
    I don't understand why people are so afraid to go there...enter it, and explore.
    There are barely other players, and if they kill you....you are not going to die in real!^^
    I'm often exploring the pvp scenes, and only got killed 2-3 times for two years...but I'm dying very,very,very often in PVE scenes, they are sometimes dangerous as hell! :D
    Just go there and enjoy the little thrill, it's really not that bad or dangerous.
    And just for clarification:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Allow MOBs to loot players and see the world change. Quickly!

Cordelayne, Numa, Disgruntled and 3 others like this.
  5. Flientje Vantmeeden

Flientje Vantmeeden Localization Team

oh nooooo :D
    But..I'm poor as a church mouse...and always travelling with light luggage...poor mobs...

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

My old suggestion from 2015 which I still think is valid is that one should always lose all gains from the scene upon death into one of those death piles which one or ones party can rescue.

That way we have a reason to go in once again to retrieve that when we die.

(And for pvp I think that the scene gains should be part of the ransom loot).

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I thought they did implement scene loot to the PvP loot? Was a good suggestion.

8. Armar

Armar Avatar

Gear matters little if you have full loot.

Stundorn likes this.
  9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

gear would affect my character exactly as it does with no loot (unless changed ofc o0)
    Only scaredy cats go the naked fight ;)

Nah loot is the same as always you get a wand of super mega death incarnate something something and the guy can buy it back for a nickle and some lint

Stundorn likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

People do realise that if they go to a Ruin or Shardfall they have more chance of dying to mob in PvE than encountering and dying in PvP.
    • There are simply not enough PvPers in the game at the moment (PvP needs fleshing out to encourage the playerbase).
    • The vast majority of PvPers in game don't have true PK traits......they are more likely to help you explore than to kill you.

Cordelayne and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Exactly. We need a reason to fight. Not everyone wants to PK but to fight an opposing enemy maybe. What we need is purpose to those zones and more lore and depth to the sandbox.
    A 2 or more sided faction war could also play a role in PVE, as people who dont want to fight players could also contribute to their side that way...

Cordelayne, Numa and E n v y like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Problem is in our theme park, there are no negative alignments, only virtue "choices" that lead to purely cosmetic differences.

I'm sure its in the percolator tho, but by the time it comes out, we'll have alienated most of the loyal UO playerbase that was waiting for this ultima online spiritual successor.

Recently RG said in a highwayman thread (an idea thats been floating around since kickstarter (yes even before first release)... yet he jumped in that thread by a new member saying he liked the idea which had been harped in more than 12 ignored threads, he supposedly added it to JIRA.

He also said not too long ago "you guys are the BETA TESTERS, we need your feedback good or bad now is the time not to hold any punches"

So basically he tells us to be honest, and we get moderated, he tells us we're beta testing, but when we say we are, then its a pre-pre alpha and that subject alone can derail threads.

I have never, ever, ever, seen such a bad PR.

Non profit freeshards with no staff do a better job, and keep much more players around, with 15 year old technology. The most popular these days has 1000 concurrent players (by IP) all day long, no matter the time of the day.

Theres about a hundred shards who keep around 250 players all day long, which is more than us... and most freeshards players I knew were waiting for RG to say "I'm trying to make UO again" and they would have been very loyal.

It's such a tragedy, it really makes me sad cause I like the devs, I have grown fond of them...

but some days I wish I could rattle their cage... and stop time for a moment so they realize how many players we got vs how much they alienated (to such an extent many of them I know said "I want nothing to do with anything lord british ever again)...

this is no joke, I do not understand ONE BIT what is going in their heads...

Perhaps they just don't care and "we'll get the players we get" but... why... can't be just lazyness or fear of drama... tell me that ain't so :'(

Disgruntled and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

We used to call this a "corpse run" in the old MUDs. Dying would result in you resurrecting at the main temple in a new body (naked) then you'd have to quickly re-equip yourself to survive getting back to where you left your corpse. Looting your own body would cause it to disappear. The window to do this I believe was 15 minutes.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Mykll and Spoon like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Absolutely, that is where I got it from.
    Just with the modification that it is only for loot gained in the scene in that session, which hopefully changes the scope dramatically and puts it more in the 'fun' category instead of the 'pain' category. Plus the party member thing would promote grouping.

Numa, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mykll like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So it was in UO... a successful corpse run would bring you pleasure, missing the window would be a small pain but then again reequipping to get back to PvP cost peanuts...

Not so in an item-centric game...

Numa likes this.
  16. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

This isnt even going to happen. The downfall of UO was when Trammel land was cloned. I think port learned by example that cloning an entire game for a set player base just destroys the community as a whole. What is better than cloning an entire world? Making friends with pvpers and trying to learn their ways. Actions and interaction with a bit of conversation

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Clearly noone in the dev team beleives that... they think it saved the game (I didn't extrapolate).

18. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Clearly a pvp mind and a pvers mind are clashing, I must stick to my original comment.

Down with Trammel!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

its sugar coated... so I call it Tramellized :p

Disgruntled likes this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Chrystoph Reis @Valor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.