Why do we insist on pvp Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Stundorn, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I want the Ruins and Shardfalls also for PVE only.

Why insist on PvP?

Those who pvp are flagged either.

By Tor, Arc, StarLord and 3 others like this.
  2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's a right and logical statement ;) And I also think, there is no reason to flag PVE's as PVP automatically.

The reasons to declare them as PVP zones could be:
    - a special scene for pvp friends giving more fun as "normal" scenes (I really appreciate this for fans of PVP!)
    - to force PVE players to PVP (as we know, most of them don't want to have this experience)

I would appreciate the following:
    Put an oracle confirmatory into each as "PVP scene" declared, where players can run in and change the status as they want.
    May be, you come around and meet friends and want to have a fight with each other :)

Beside this, the option to invite just ONE other player for a fight should be also possible, I think?

@DarkStarr, @Chris, @Lord British:
    Why do you think the game is a better one, if you force players in a mode they don't want to play?
    (I will ask this question next telethon, if no one wants to answer - yet ;))

By Tor, Olthadir and Mykll like this.
  3. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

If they were forced more than that, maybe it would be possible to make a healthy pvp without spending a day to have just a couple of fights (If you're lucky). There are not only pvm players and that selfishness is never a good thing.

belijaal likes this.
  4. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

The game needs a proper guild war system as a matter or urgency, it would resolve so many issues. Find it odd that it is not something developed already.

5. Paladin Michael

You`re right: selfishness is never a good thing :)

But isn't it selfishness to force someone in a mode, he/she won't want to play with?

Selfishness in my understanding would be things like this:

Houseowners claim that everyone in SotA needs a residence or he can't play.

Quest prefering players could say: no scene without any quest!

And PVE players could say: no pvp everywhere.

And groups could say: a great high tier enemy should never been killed by one person!

So I didn't catch that:
    "Selfishness", because there are players with different intention to play a game?

For me, there is no problem that players flag as PVP and fight each other - equal where they are!

Others make a hunting group, hunting for Trolls, Dragons, etc. - that's okay!

And others meet for dance partys.

But there is a difference between that:

Players doing quests, hunting in groups for Dragons, or having dance partys ... don't force any other player in their play style!

There is no place, taking you automatically in a "dance mode" or in a "quest mode" or may be in a "you must play music with an instrument mode".
    BUT - there are still a few places forcing you in a PVP mode.

And beside this: what does it mean, to tell, other players are a kind of "selfish", because you can't fight everybody coming around? ;)

Alley Oop, Chrystoph Reis and Mykll like this.
  6. Paladin Michael

To make it clearer from my point of view:
    If you like to flag as PVP, why shouldn't you do this everywhere? A PVE player has no negative effect because of this.
    So actual, no place is PVE "only", because PVP flagged can fight everywhere - right? ;)

If not, this would be a force into PVE - and also not a good way for different play styles!

Mykll likes this.
  7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I hope you can understand what i meant but no one is daily forced to enter a pvp zone (if not for a couple of minutes for a quest). PVP zones are for Pvpers.
    I talked about "Selfishness" cause, despite the gameplay being 99% thought for just casual players and pvm players, I still see requests to convert the very few pvp zones into pvm zones.
    If we continue to limit everything that pushes the player to pvp flagging, Why should someone ever flag up?

Black Tortoise likes this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Let's make all zones PVP. As we know most PVPers don't want to PVE anyhow... :rolleyes:

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I really are for good pvp, but as long as it is behind "the curve" and nothing changes about skills it's not for me in this game.
    And thats ok!
    I dont want to rant about it. I like PvP, but i prefer other styles and circumstances, although i also would like to see an open world sandbox PvP system what is open for everybody and nit locked behind hours of playing, min maxing skills etc.. So in SotA the set and circumstances dont meet my favors we talk about pvp.
    But it's not that big Problem for me i'm mostly here for RP and i can still Duell me if i want to.
    Or i can flag if i want to.

The thing about these Scenes (Ruins and Shardfalls) - and i am totally ok with Bloodbay as a large pvp Zone - is that they are just nice PvE Zones, same for Dungeons, and the Lore about going crazy and attack each other doesnt fit with grouping and not having friendly fire.
    Characters there then should become all red, all unknown, no grouping allowed, just Deathmatch!
    That would be consistency imo.
    I really grant the PvP players 1 PvP only Scene and one or two pvp only Dungeons with Entrances in this PvP Zone (Bloodbay) , but i dont see why the Ruins and Shardfalls need to stay PvP.
    Nor the PvE players like me neither the PvP folks like it the way it is ir use them often. It's just a waste imo.
    These unique and beautiful scenes are wasteland as long as i can remember.

Make them normal pve Scenes and concentrate PvP in Bloodbay, including Dungeons?! Move the Fall entrance to Bloodbay, move everything about pvp to Bloodbay and let us explore all other scenes in PvE!

The Lore isnt constant as is i already said as the Shards make characters crazy and attack each other.

Sure i am for a better Moral, Virtue, Good vs. Evil System and it would make things better.

But the best is: let those who want to pvp pvp and let the rest enjoy all scenes in PvE.

The amount of pvpers who love sandbox PvP does not justify to have 8 scenes what are lore relevant and such to be pvp only.

To "force" people to pvp is outdated and never successfull.

I say: let those who want to flag themself flag themself and sure give them Bloodbay and connect some Dungeons to it. Why not. They can have the thrill there and if they want all the time when flagged.

The Ruins and Shardfalls should become pve quest areas what are about lore and RP and such!

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Then i'm gone, because i'm not willing to do the min.max game for pvp.
    It's bullshit imo.
    I would like a ffa sandbox full loot pvp game like Darkfall was or still is.
    The problem i allways have with these games is, they ask me to powergrind and min max the system what is allways so boring and stupid.
    I'm waiting for a open world ffa full loot sandbox without levels and gear that supports your strength, playerskill only.
    But this is another topic.

I just ask this again, because i think it's wasted space.

Nelzie likes this.
  11. Paladin Michael

I understand the point of view. I think what's the reason for such discussions were decisions to put story relevant stuff into pvp zones.
    Otherwise, I assume, nobody would ever talk about.

As I said: I am not unhappy for zones, giving players, what they like to do! That's the reason, we're NOT having only TIER 5 zones everywhere ;)

And another point I think isn't uninteresting for choosing to flag:
    If players could "save" their inventory without having to pay for and so don't have to fear to loose it, I believe, really more people would give it a try, because there would be nothing to loose VS. winning an interesting experience ...

Well, I know, a lot of players really like this part to gain the loot of others ;)

Mac2, Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think it is safe to say PVP hasn't been designed yet at all. So no clue what purpose Shardfalls will ever have.
    If enticing PVErs into PVP by having a quest location there is the height of game design this game can deliver... I agree it is just bad.

So if you are hopeful I guess in a year or so they will come up with a purpose for everything. :rolleyes:

It has only been 47 months... so no worries :) Design is done easily and implementation only takes couple of hours ^^

13. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Sorry Stundorn, but i'm afraid what you want will never happen. The higher skilled players will most likely team up and next people want tiered pvp, because the opposition is too strong. Sports works like this for example. Doesn't mean you can't have fun though. But everybody equal is a pipedream.

14. Paladin Michael

As you say - and as I said above:
    It is important to have different zones for different play styles. To combine them is always difficult.

What about a huge Arena for PVP/Group-fights?
    With rank lists, etc. to give PVP an event character? :)

15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

How many people do you think are gone already because the game offers nothing to them?

I told you several times that casuals can only be viable in a worked out system where they can group with high level players...
    They have no design for PVP and no plans on implementing it. So that is where your or better said our problem lies.

16. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Sure kill the Virtual World completely. That's in the spirit of Ultima :D

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Vallo Frostbane @Antrax Artek

Hm, i just thought...

You can have all scenes pvp when flagged :)
    Sure those who arent flagged and dont attack you, you cannot fight, but only pk need people thay can attack.
    So nothing against pk, my friend is a pk and want to play the badass pk.
    I am not against this.
    But then it's maybe better to concentrate this in Bloodbay?!?

To pk those who dont want to pvp and be attacked is just bad it just Ende with whine and popcorn threads :D

With the actual playerbase it's maybe better to concentrate it in BB and give the casual pve folks more scenes what they can explore without beeing ganked.

I want this to please both pve and pvp players.

If Bloodbay is the center of pvp then everybody who wants to pvp can go there, including Dungeons, housing (is it already there? Dont know never was there and never will go there i guess)
    There can be special items to loot lime Sobek head and whatnot.

The thing is only about 8 scenes for a small amount of players who maybe like it, but 80% of pve only players who dislike it (even for completing the story, yes i know about the other ways, did it all already) .

It's just a waste, it doesnt really fit the lore and the concept is maybe worth to be overthought.

I like these Scenes and i explored some of them, but i am honest i dont like to have the thrill in SotA. Because to me there is no thrill only insta death :D

And i just dont like the skillsystem and to min max for pvp i'm more the Arena /Mobs/ Shooter or something like that pvper and dislike it for decades that rpg Pvp is allways behind levels and gear and such.

Cordelayne and Mykll like this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

My suggestion for shardfalls: Open them up for non-flagged, but the longer a non-flagged stays there, the greater chance the player will get "sick" and "turn". During the time the player is non-flagged, he will not be able to affect flagged players with any kind of spell (healing) or other offensive action and vice-versa. The turning will not be a planned event and can happen randomly anytime he is in the area. I actually think PVP players could use this mechanic as a great PVP strategy, entering the area non flagged and positioning themselves for the "turning" and attack.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree with you, pvp is very important. I think thier game concept needs to be changed. Bloodbay is perfect it just needs a good pull to go there like housing and posibly anything crafted there can roll pvp type stats. As far as the ruins and shardfalls they wanted a sense of danger but I think they should just change those to pve.

I love they left in flag on the fly pvp its added more pvp than what we woulda had with out.

Things that will really help pvp is stuff like faction wars, and battle grounds that cater to the softcore pvper in hopes of moving them to more of a hard core roller. Imop the battle grounds should not risk loot, I think the bone drops are great though. Factions should follow the current loot rules while also giving you some way to generate pvp type currency where you can use that to purchase something that will show your status as a faction player.

We need more craftable options outta bones, yard head spikes would be great.

20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

PVP is pretty much dead in SotA. Has been reduced to deathmatch in the fall (rip) or some skirmishes here and there.
    I remember the thread which stated to remove PVP completely and I agreed to it back then.

Either you do it right, or just don't do it. They should remove the flag and go back to the design table.

However someone special told me upon release there might be more of the stuff I like... so I am willing to wait until Release.

After release the game will get destroyed by reviews anyhow if they do not deliver anything like U7 and UO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.