Thoughts on Lost Whiteguard Silver Mine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senjut, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Plus I believe it would encourage people to group more as they protect the miners. The other PVP zones don't really provide sufficient ore to keep a miners interest. Something like this would I believe.

amarious likes this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

We're in agreement here, for sure. Extra careful is what we're trying to be, and will continue to be.

3. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Genuinely confused about this one, so don't take this as a pro or anti PvP thought, since it's really not, but -

If this mine gave a significant reward relative to other mines, what exactly is the difference between it being in an 'anyone can enter' area and a PvP area, since you get your 'risk' by being PvP flagged in there? It would be an attractive place to all resource gathering players (which actually seems to mean a big part of the playerbase), but given the way SotA works, you could go to the PvP version mine with basic gear, and if you run into anyone and die - inconvenient, but you keep all you mined anyway - or you go into the non PvP one but since Pvpers know it's an attractive location to find people, they would be just as likely to regularly drop by there to catch the folks flagged but mining there anyway because of the 'excitement and risk'.

Isn't all you achieve by putting such a mine in a PvP only zone shutting out non-pvpers from the area? The only thing I can see making sense is to make it a non-solo player area, so you need to be in multiplayer, which makes the resources get used up much faster - and in itself discourages anyone going there 'just' to mine since payback would be restricted, they'd be going for the overall experience of possible good resources and/or social interaction.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi there again Sannio and please don't take the complaints about lack of ore to mean this isn't a gorgeous area. I love it. Even for a new player and low level mine the amount of ore would be very disappointing. You could easily triple that amount and it would do nothing to the economy. I am running around and around and while it is not a scene I would choose to get ore in. I am seeing creatures that spawn really fast and very little ore to be found. It just is not enough imo and I don't say that out of greed. We have to do something about things like this for before release. If players go to a mine imagine what they will expect to see. it is great to scatter ore all around the world like this but not in a mine. There it should of course be more plentiful. If the worry is about higher levels abusing this and taking the easy way out then find a way to address that if it shows it is a problem for the economy. The lower level players should not be punished and these are just thoughts I have and I could be wrong in them in some ways but just something to think about. Perhaps give us mining points for using higher tier mines if we are higher level to earn something. There are things we can do to balance this out without making mining a horrible dissatisfying experience in the process for this game. You guys are working hard we know that.

p.s. you could mine and get a 1000 ore and use that in a matter of moments with the amount of resources needed to make things in this game. I really think we have no fear of more ore impacting the economy. My 500 silver ore was gone in about 15 -20 minutes trying to raise my blacksmithing. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Timmy Vortex likes this.
  5. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I spent a hour in here, got stuck, killed 100 low level trash mobs, got 3 iron ore. Also all the mobs that die in the water cannot be looted.

Awful zone.

Wont be back.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was expecting something more along the lines of the pre-uncloned Blackblade foothills mine. It was tier two area, and it took me about 25-30 minutes to get from one end to the other back when I was just able to start tackling tier two areas. I'd get around 18-25 ore (mix of silver and copper) in that time. If I went back through immediately, I might get around another 10. So I'd got to the nearest POT, sell off the weapons I'd picked up, dump the ore at the bank, and go back for another trip. (Thanks, Oasis! With your completely empty town except for a banker and a merchant right at the entrance, you made this even more efficient!) So all told, it was maybe 40ish ore an hour. Which isn't nearly worth it for higher level players, but at a time when Elysium was just a mythical place I might someday visit, it was pretty darn good.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

This mine is fantastic... Although, I wonder why they call it a "silver" mine, as silver is the least found ore... Over 5 sessions exploring it, I pretty much know the layout pretty well. I found many break out walls, I found salt nodes for the 1st time, plenty of coal nodes & iron nodes and a respectful amount of silver nodes. All the nodes seem to respawn quickly and adventuring around is a must to find them all, the dynamic respawning is working great. The mobs are easy to kill (I'm adv 55), many I 1 hit them and they're dead from my haly, I did manage to loss my pet to them, as he ran off to attack one and got ganked, my pet rez couldn't find him and neither could I, his body decayed, then his whistle was gone when I equipped another. The mobs attack from above & below your position, so jumping off is a must, then finding the ladders is a must, I did find a stone stairway at the north end. There's a decent time between respawns to be able to search for ore, but when they do respawn, they seemed to do it all at once (probably because I killed the all fast). Don't let the ore cart hit you, you will stick to it and be taken away. if you walk over the tracks, the ties fall out, but you can still walk over the rails, if you're careful.

I'm off to check out the other 2...

Hazard and majoria70 like this.
  8. Sannio

That sounds like a bad bug. I'll make a note to check into it when I'm back at work.

majoria70 likes this.
  9. Sannio

(Edit) Not sure if people would consider this a spoiler, but I went back and added the spoiler tags anyway.
    All three Tier 2 mines have a "back area" behind a locked gate. Copper or iron is common, while silver or gold is rare, in the main part of the mine. Silver or gold is the main ore in the back area.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Are you sure about that? Not only have I not seen that happen in months, I have been surprised recently at being able to loot corpses underwater and even double-checking that something isn't sticking out of the water.

I know it used to be a bad bug when hunting in swamp areas.

Because it used to be a silver mine in its older history. Same situation with the other two mines.

11. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Would agree with SmokerKGB. Spent a little over an hour in Whiteguard with no issues really- takes a little while to understand the layout. I was surprised at the higher output of ore at least seemingly compared to Understorm. The other nodes were a nice touch for the cooks and crafters out there and I would assume this should help a few nearby towns.

Anyway nice job to those who created this one.

Sannio likes this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I take it you've never been there (to Whiteguard mine), otherwise you would know... When a mob falls underwater, you can't loot it... I know it was a problem many moons ago, and I'm sure it's just an oversight for a dev not to have ticked a box, so it's no big deal to me... It WILL be fixed... BTW, I like the new loot table...

13. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

you can loot them with free mouse and arrow but not with locked mouse and target cross

SmokerKGB and Elwyn like this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I have been there, and that (IIRC) is exactly where I was amazed that I could loot a corpse under water and double-checked to see that there wasn't some knee or elbow sticking out.

EDIT: see above message, I was most definitely using unlocked cursor because the reticle has UI lag and other problems that really sucks for targeting anything. It used to not work even with unlocked cursor.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

The whole thing about the mining is that they have turned it all into adventure scenes...which is ok. But there has to be more incentive to mine anymore. Lately its horrible to go mining. There are some who cant afford those potions and such to help in that stuff. And if one person wants to spend their entire game time in the mines mining then so be it.....so they can use or sell its fine by me. But the casual players get hit hard when mining. Anymore i tend to stay in outer areas mining as i seem to yield just as much in the foothills as i do inside a mine. When you spend two hours mining copper in Graff just to get 100 ore and 10 each tin and tungsten then that seems to be a bit crazy. Yeah i do it...but the end result almost isnt worth it. I dont want to spend all my time every day doing that. Its a mind numbing experience for sure and i usually nod off . Even fighting the mobs in the mines is getting a bit tedious as well. I dont even go into Serpent Spine Mines anymore as its a waste of time. I get more ore outside in the foothills than inside. And Verdantis is a joke as well. If the mobs and other things inside were more interesting as far as drops and loot it might not be so bad....but its not. The new mines are nice to venture into but eventually they will peter out and no one will go there. Even low level players will end up abandoning them

majoria70 likes this.
  16. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

Are low level mines supposed to be where serious crafters/miners actually mine?
    It has been a while, but I don't recall the low level items I crafted costing a heck of a lot of resources.
    I'm not sure I was leveled enough to even get into Masterworking when I was T2 aventure level.

When the game is released, would the average new player be at the level of crafting that absorbed the amount of resources most of us are currently talking about?
    If the new player, was organically leveling while playing the game, would they not be around Adventuring level T3 or possibly T4 by the time they would be getting into the serious crafting?
    By that time they would have had a chance to build up an experience pool that would take them into the higher levels of crafting.
    Of course, individual player experience varies. I am more casual, than many current players. Although I wouldn't describe those of us playing pre-release as casual.

Are we thinking like new players when we evaluate new player areas and resources?
    Cheers!

(This argument does not apply to higher level areas. The argument against making mines adventure scenes makes more sense to me then.)

Elwyn likes this.
  17. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Only problem I see with this is the producer exp bottleneck.

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thanks for pointing that out...

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well truly if you don't mine or are not a dedicated miner you may not know and especially if you are not a miner and crafter as well so well at times then you would not know the experience it has on both parties. The amount of resources it takes to craft armor and raise armor is staggering to say the least which is not the whole story. This game not only destroys ALL of your hard earned gotten ore if you fail which is more than likely at 70ish % and even higher sometimes, and then this same crafting system has the audacity to give you just a few scraps back in payment for your trouble. Why miners are so upset is for ALL of this not just the mines. Now if crafting gave a piece of ore or ingot back even occasionally would we still complain? well yes perhaps, but it is at the heart of mining how crafting is set up. If crafting failures gave interesting things back for your failures occasionally and randomly we could tolerate this atrocity much better imo, but still there are issues with the whole of both systems.

Edited and this is an old thread and destroying items doesn't happen. You just destroy durability

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Gorthyn and Rentier like this.
  20. Jacra

Jacra Avatar

I've just been for the first time in the mines, barely made it out alive and it was the most frustrating thing yet. I fell off the cart all the time, the mobs kept respawning WAY too fast. I don't want to run out of health potions in a low level mine when I actually want to go mine and do that quest for the Solania woman and her husband Wen. I dread going back into that place. Finding the entrance was already incredibly ridiculous since the maps are upside down for many towns and the verbal description of the woman was a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.