Shattered Moon night sky path

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dermott, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

First off, I LOVE the shattered moon as it bring a unique flavor to the game. However, I ask if there are any astonomy peeps who can let me know if this is right or wrong...

So we have the shattered moon with its debris trail running off in both directions. I'm assuming that the debris are in an orbit along with the larger central core. If that is so, wouldn't the path of the moon and debris across the sky go lengthwise instead of perpendicular as it does now?

2. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I have to admit I really did not like it.
    I would much prefer a high-res milky way with shooting stars.
    Although maybe I will like it in the future if its refined and in High-Res :)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Would also like to hear from astro buffs on that. I would think the orbit would drag the pieces along with it rather each create its own orbit. RG is a space nut, so I was just assuming he knew better than me. :)

[​IMG]

Oh and can we please have the screenshot feature not include the cursor? *Umbrae chokes on a foreign object* :)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I was actually about to post on this. Unfortunately, while this has become popular in movies, from a physics standpoint, it is quite inaccurate. Unless whatever shattered the Moon happened mere moments ago, the mutual gravity of those large chunks would pull everything nearby back together. Now, small pieces flung VERY far away, might maintain their own orbit and I could see it forming somewhat of a ring, but this would require the Moon to be chopped up into very fine dust and spread around evenly.

I love the picture of the shattered Moon, but just like in Oblivion (the movie) and Star Trek into Darkness, it's not accurate.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Yeah I read the thing on what "would happen if we blew up the moon", and I know about the gravity pulling it back together. I'm just assuming that the moon is basically in "mid-rebirth" in the process of pulling itself back together, so that part doesn;t bother me as much as the pathway it takes across the sky. That part I want to know if it's right or not.

I remember from the article that if we blew it up enough to NOT reform, it would settle into rings in orbit at the equator (like Saturn), but in that case, the rings don't revolve around the Earth/Planet in a perpendicular pattern the way the Shattered Moon does here.

Time Lord and Miganarchine like this.
  6. Cryptomancer

Cryptomancer Avatar

The only part I would agree with, is that the debris path should be along the moon's orbit, which should follow the planet's equator and thus its path through the sky as it rises and sets.

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

That's no moon. It's a space station!

8. smack

smack Avatar

The shattered moon incident, aka the Cataclysm, happened 400 years ago. So yeah...magic?

Also the background stars don't move at all.

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Clearly, a wizard did it :D

Athelstan and Time Lord like this.
  10. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

You've got to remember that it's not just one shattered moon: it's two satellites which collided and were shattered.
    As you guys pointed out, their debries would be pulled together to form a new object, like a single new satellite, and that's what they seem to be doing. And 400 years are way too little time to complete this process I believe.

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the moon may also be a bit too large. Assuming the moon is the remains of Trammel and Felucca, I would assume that Felucca was pulled into Trammel's orbit to create the Cataclysm. This would leave them scattered about the distance of our own moon, or slightly closer depending on the force involved. If it was as close at the moon in the Alpha appears, tidal energy would still be causing widespread devastation.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

This is supposedly a follow up of what happened in Ultima 9 where the twin moons Trammel and Felucca were on a collision course for whatever reason. If both were drawn towards each other, then I would expect debris to be expelled in both directions, just as depicted in R1. Also, as some have pointed out the gravitational pulls of both shattered bodies would attempt to merge back together, except this time as one body. It would also take a considerable amount of time for them to completely merge, with the rock heating up during the merge, as depicted again in R1. The only thing that has me puzzled is the orbit of the debris. I would expect the orbit to follow the trail of debris, rather than being perpendicular to it, as Umbrae illustrated in his screen shot.

ShrineSeeker and Time Lord like this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Think of it more as an "homage." ;)

14. Fox Cunning

It may not be a sequel, but still if you look at the last Pen of The Avatar and the cinematic intro, this is the remains of two moons.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=32537

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

You're correct about the EA trademarks. RG is treading carefully here so nothing is directly connected to Britannia, but it is implied. This is why Trammel and Felucca aren't mentioned directly, but it is implied.

16. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I asked @DarkStarr the same thing in chat last week after they opened the servers up; he said they would look into it but it's not a at the top of the list right away :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Fox Cunning

I partially agree, but that is not planet Earth so we don't know how big and dense it is. Maybe gravity on this planet is much stronger than on Earth, so my avatar weights 400 lbs? Well that would also explain why we can't jump :D

Time Lord, Vyrinor and Alexander like this.
  18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

And thus a new job is created in the gaming industry: Game Astronomer! :D

Time Lord and Alexander like this.
  19. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

If they were as close as it seems, the effect of gravity would be very very fast. I read somewhere a review of Oblivion (the movie) where they compared it to holding a bolder 1 mile above the Earth and expecting gravity to not pull it down.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Kethron

Kethron Avatar

I can't believe we're discussing this.

I love it. :cool:

Time Lord, Fireangel and Miganarchine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.