The new way of deleting threads by the mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sea Hunter, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

It means I have edited the post with the @ in it. However, where you quoted me, the @ is still registered.

To @Hunter OfSouls - No offense taken. When Berek was hired, the moderating staff got shuffled, and the moderator staff became, like Andar said, anonymized. And while we can wish how things were in the past, the new way streamlines the moderation process from the business side. So, we are left with taking these issues to the Lead Moderator or the support email. There are many things that have become more streamlined in their business principles, and as such, the customer relationship may not feel as 'personal' as it used to be. (YMMV).

Hunter OfSouls likes this.
  2. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

This will make some chuckle, but I aslo am a mod on large magazine forum. The way we handle problems is if it is a spammer we delete the thread and we have a hidden forum for just the mods that we put in what the action was and why. IF it is a thread of a normal poster that is out of line etc. We move the thread to that same forum and it is then looked over by more than one mod and then it is decided if it is deleted or moved back and maybe some kind of post telling why it was moved.
    Checks and balances. No favoritism no bullying. Since it is handled by many mods and not just one.

3. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

so there are no rules for moderation. For example if someone is moderated or threads/posts deleted there is no rule to cite for action. More ever. Many posts that are deleted or moderated are not given rules or reasons why, only a notification that there has been a deletion. No idea what was the offense, no idea what might have been offensive, and yet told to not be offensive and to not do this again. I mean really, WTF is going on?

KnownInGameAsGeorge likes this.
  4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

So, as in tech support, let's begin here with the Community Rules

As far as what people are moderated for when they are left a message, it usually falls within some infraction there.
    Discussing it in the General Forums isn't really going to bring to light any answers, so that is why people post to take it to the Lead Moderator or the support email.

While it may not be emotional fulfilling advice, its the practical way of trying to get an answer.

moxiepilot likes this.
  5. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

blah blah blah, when I was moderated Pre Berek, I was given notice for the moderation, for the offense, and for the rule I broke. This should still be the case. What we have now is actually not moderation, because moderation as a term actually implies that we be civil and equal and provide proof in our accusations. Please do not end ever to justify being Draconian.

KnownInGameAsGeorge likes this.
  6. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You have to remember that mods are people to and while the do have rules for moderation it's still up to each of their judgement on if something should be moderated. Being upset at a moderation is not going to keep you from getting moderated again especially if you get angry at the mod team and say something hurtful to them. They will remember and share with each other what people are saying. So when the judgement call comes up they are likely to remember past infractions and stack those against you along with the current infraction. If you need information about a certain moderation and genuinely want to know what you did wrong so you don't do it again then ask politely for it and accept the answer. Never push back on a moderation it never works and makes a terrible impression. Again remember this is not a public square. There is no free speech in a private business' forums. They own it, control it, and make the rules for it.

7. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

you have to remember also that the people posting are people also, not trolls, evil, hate filled assholes, or whatever. They are people taking the time to post opinions, critique, and what they feel is wrong. This has been a gaslightng event, that puts people that think differently than others to be shamed and put aside for what they believe is right.

8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

As long as they talk civilly and don't break the rules they won't be moderated.

9. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Again I find myself saying no offense here, but saying that a mod remembers what a person did means they have a grudge against that person. Honestly if any mod pulls that kind of garbage they should be removed. If you can not do your job with partiality then let someone who can do it. After all most of them are volunteers anyhow. IT is not a secret club where you all get together and talk about those you do not like or how "next" time I Will poor the coals to em kind of job. I have to wonder if you are not a mod since you brought up some pretty point on examples. If you are good on you. And again I mean no offense, but if you also fall under that category of what you describe? Then shame on you.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Isn't the forum public and on american soil ? I'll have my free speech thank you, and accountability for civilized moderation, especially that deleting threads without any reason and chance to modify said post can make me look incoherent in a space that is publicly accessible. DLMB on the 5$, anyone can read here its a question of basic respect.

My posts are like a swiss cheese, I love swiss cheese...

oh look a mouse, oh look a cat...

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Andar for president ! :p

3devious and Darlok Brimstone like this.
  12. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

I wish this was true, but not always. *bows out*

Blackghost likes this.
  13. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

I would love for this to be true, but the fact is we give consent through usage. There is no free speech here. There is only projection of what the owners of the intellectual property allow. there is free speech however on Redditt. Feel free to join the discussion there unmoderated.

moxiepilot likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well any mod or dev, since the very beginning has been free to tell me that, I WLTDHMOTWO.

Come to papa.

15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'm not aware of us having moderated you @Hunter OfSouls , but please do PM me and I would be more than happy to discuss it. We can't really help you out here in the public though with private moderation questions, so please contact me.

To answer your other question, we always always let the person know if their post was moderated, and as to why. You are of course always free to contact the moderation team with questions when this occurs.

moxiepilot and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.