Recipies need to have an adjustment made bfore this goes "Live" . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Those are certainly good points. The problem I always had with NPCs supplying things like ore is that then no one would really mine. No one would need to. That's why I always liked the idea of a path to reach the trade. No one starts out as a blacksmith. They work their way up the ladder learning things, doing grunt work so that they understand and respect the materials they work with. That's why I mentioned if you wanted to become a blacksmith, you start as a miner, supply resources as a means of income (even if it meant that was the supply that NPC vendors carried and sold to other players so that you'd have that finite amount of resources in the economy via public vendor system), eventually be able to start working on a forge to melt it into ingots and then work towards becoming a blacksmith. Plus, not being able to change the path you choose after a certain point would ensure that there would be different people taking different paths because people all want to offer something different than the rest of the market. You'd always have that base line of people who go for the high demand items like swords and armour (though I believe those as well should be two separate skill trees that you could master one or the other) but it means people who made something like indoor furniture could charge more for their goods because there would be far less people taking up carpentry which means that all paths would lead to some sort of in-game success. How much success depends on how the game shifts over time. Right now bows aren't exactly the most popular thing because of being nerfed. In a year, everyone might want archers and so someone who took up fletching would see a massive rise in how much they can sell.

Also, by making people take a path to get to things like blacksmithing, it would mean that people would essentially be forced to resource gather which would make it far less likely that you'd have people botting or making a career out of just resource gathering because there would already be so much floating around as new players or people who are taking the path of a craft would be putting mass amounts into the economy themselves in order to make money. It's a win/win in that aspect.

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Yes and no. In early times before the final wipe all were available. However many were created since. I regret not being a little more vigilant in
    gathering up the recipes that were available.

Also keep in mind, it's a free market. I've seen a primal bear head dress anywhere from 5k - 35k. I picked up a magical chain recipe for 4k instead of
    50k - 100k. Some times you just have to save up your gold and buy what you need, or go shopping. :)

Don't forget alot of recipe's are teachable an some are even re teachable.

lastly ... @Humbert_Humbert do not utter such words. A crafting reset? That'd hurt a little bit.

Elwyn, Mystic and majoria70 like this.
  3. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

One more reason I'm in favour of a release wipe. Leave the housing spots in place from the housing rush but wipe everything else. Items, characters, skills, etc. Yes, some people would be mad but it would get rid of a lot of the stuff that was gotten via alternate methods than intended. Things like this give a lot of players massive advantages.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Couple points here. First, to a degree this is exactly what you want. You limit how much ore is actually available on merchants so you can only buy so much for so much.. but also.. miners are gonna mine. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy it and others still will do it in order to sell ore in bulk. Something which NPCs shouldn't do. The balance you want to strike is that players who WANT to mine will do so.. those won't don't want to mine won't feel like they have to. This is what promotes player to player inter-dependencies without forcing people into set roles. Like if I enjoy mining and refining but don't want to be a blacksmith.. or I want to be a blacksmith and don't want to mine. Unfortunately, the market influences crafters strongly towards doing it all because that's the path of least effort.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

UO was a lot like that and I agree that is a good route to go. NPCs typically sold at 1gp higher than market for a pile of ore and were limited to how much of it you could buy. Also helped that it was heavy and would drop to the ground if you bought too much at one time which meant that you might lose it all if someone saw.

I like fishing. I would like mining better if it was more like UO without having to search all over for the small amount of nodes so fishing is my big draw so I feel you on that. You should certainly only do that if you choose to but I think that someone who chooses a master craft trade should have to stick to what is in that trade line after a certain point and then put a lot of different branch options for which direction to go within that line. It would be more limiting but it would also create more diversity.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm a firm believer in what I might describe as a naturalistic design philosophy. As you might imagine then there's a great deal of design within SotA that gets under my skin, but I do favor the freedom of the classless system that allows players to always have the option to change. Much like in life, you can be a blacksmith but have a mid=life crisis or for whatever reason learn to sew or just take your craft in a new direction. It shouldn't necessarily be easy. (I've proposed a soft cap system for adventurer and craft skills as a whole several times before.. (as opposed to the way it is now as per skill only)), but the choice should be available so long as it's supported by real effort.

A "player driven economy" as its set up in SotA does not interact or compete with the world market which also does not behave at all like any real market would which brings us to where we are with the market in more or less what I consider a very unnatural state and a primary reason for threads like this one (outrageous recipe and material prices etc) and of course arguably unnatural player choices.. people who don't enjoy mining/crafting doing it anyway because they feel they can't afford the alternative.

Anyways.. I'm being redundant.. back to thread topic.. random recipes in random drops is just another example in a long line of unnatural feeling design and implementation. Skill based knowledge should be earned through practicing and studying skill... usually from someone who already had that knowledge. It isn't something you just find in unrelated places for no good rhyme or reason.

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is what is wrong with the new 'recipe system'.
    The discovery system was great and unique and required players to make one of everything in order to put it in their book.
    Its been downhill since then. Teachability would be ok if it wasn't so arbitrarily limited. It would make more sense to learn crafting by crafting than finding a slip of paper in a bandit's pocket that self destructs the moment you read it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.