Recipies need to have an adjustment made bfore this goes "Live" . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Lets start this off - I am not going to debate on these forums about this, if you just want to belligerently attack me to try and run me off don't. Yes this is criticism of a system in the game and not a bright shinny one. If you cannot respond with suggestions other than to try and run me off , or just attack me do not bother.

Anyhow out shopping around I see that recipes to make a Rock Maple Fustian String bow would require me to locate 4 special recipes that I have not come across yet during my play. NOT once. Now I could buy them but they cost well over 7500 and some almost 20k, Sure I could do this pretty easily but?

The point is if you are going to call this game finished in 4 weeks a system like this will run players off.

This has been covered before but if I can refine wood in to rock maple wood then making a bow is making a bow, the wood type is not relevant. This system of recipes does nothing to promote crafting, and does only one thing widen the gap between new/casual players and power gamers.

Agree, don't I do not care.

To those that already replied in the gone thread I got it TY,I am just reposting to clean up the blatant garbage that was being thrown around by others and I was throwing back. :(

I know ho w to play, I know where things are found, this was just a surprise that I have not really considered until today when I found them. If they are so abundant then they should not be so expensive.

I know the game is still in "development" for 3 - 4 more weeks but this issue should not be around at this time.

Something needs to be changed.

Crafting needs ALOT of work before this goes "live"

again to those who gave me ideas and suggestions on what they think no need to repeat. TY I got it, if oyu want to just repost you suggestions go for it, sorry to remove other post.

To those who just want to attack me I do not care, just going to report it, and ignore you.

Actually you should prob left click on my name and choose ignore before you reply, save yourself the trouble I will not waste my time on you.

I will not be run off because I am critical of the game.

2. Koss

Koss Avatar

Much better said.

Weins201 likes this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I'll repeat what I said the last time, the best items in the game should not be easily accessible. Nothing else really needs to be said.

Elwyn, Mystic, MasterWan and 8 others like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

^ this.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And your personal attack here is helping, how ?

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Bring on multi-tier currency!

Probably the biggest factors here I think are player demand and player perceptions. Perceived value of currency I do think players a part in that. 100k gold for a weapon or piece of armor vs 100k bronze = 100 gold? So which cost sounds more reasonable? To the game it's just a number.. but some us see "gold" and "bronze" and we associate a real value to it. Now if this were some sci-fi game where the currency was say "credits" then who the hell cares? :)

Another example.. setting aside the fact we're talking about a game.. what sounds more reasonable?

an animal hide that's worth 10 gold
    an animal hide that's worth 10 bronze

If I saw a recipe that costs 7 gold I wouldn't sweat that as much even though I know that's a lot.. 7000 gold what the bleeping hell? I should be able to buy a large house for that.. with land.. and stables.. and..

Yes I know it's just a number but it goes a long way for me and I can't be the only one.

As for the primary topic at hand.. I would like to see more quest based recipes and getting away from everything being loot only. It was much more appealing when we had the idea of being able to customize our gear through materials to fit our own style, but rarity in recipes makes that a little moot. I'd have to either find all those specific recipes.. find someone else who knows them all.. or pay through the nose for them. Being not a hardcore player as I'd like, none of those options seem very reasonable. I've never even seen 100k "gold" on my person yet. Never mind buying materials from the "player based economy". I just don't have that kind of time.

Fortunately for me, I do not punish myself demanding I only used the best. I know I can get by quite well without anything fancy. If you're not in the 80+ range and playing enough to afford that high level stuff, then you probably don't need it. You certainly don't need it to finish the storyline which can be done with tier 1 gear bought from an NPC.

Cassyr Dubois, SmokerKGB and FrostII like this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I thought it was a bad idea from the start. I remember seeing a person looking for a meteoric binding for like a month on discord. We should have easy access to recipes and not need to farm for a month and still not get the one we are looking for.

Ajivani, Xandra7, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

This +100.
    In taking a LONG TERM view of the game a number of things should take time and resources to obtain.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Even so, I do think there is an upper limit to how much effort you should have to put in for any one thing. (Effort for different goals should vary of course). Having recipes as loot only is just too random and for me.. it just doesn't feel right. Especially if you're playing offline. Even if you do the save/load routine to ensure you always get a recipe out of every bundle.. it still takes a LOT of time to get the one you want unless you're really lucky.

Xandra7, SmokerKGB and FrostII like this.
  10. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Weren't earlier players able to just buy all the recipes from vendors?

Ajivani and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Totally understand your point. But to me it just makes it that much more special when one get's it or not ;)

12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Wait till they do the full crafting fix and have the "crafting wipe"! Yes, I jest, but I am still in favor of a full wipe (one of those people).

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In this regard it's a personal preference thing. I think what I might have done is rather than put a bottleneck on recipes via drops I'd have made tier 2 craftables materials a lot harder to make. High skill required with a higher failure rate. The more exotic, the more difficult.

Instead, as we all know.. tier 2 materials are incredibly easy to make requiring almost no skill at all. Then if you wanted a recipe for something, you could take on a quest for a grandmaster requiring you to say.. make X amount of difficult stuff to prove your worthiness or something. You want to learn white iron bindings? You have to first make 50 white iron ingots which would be a huge time investment (with the afore mentioned skill requirement and high failure)..

Sure, all the serious crafters would do all that and everyone would know everything but it would take a lot of effort and.. speaking of the long term game.. all those recipes will eventually be available out there sooner or later anyway. It's just a question of what path you take to get there. It's quite plausible, that some time post-launch enough new high level players will be selling more and more of those recipes... if you ever find one you already know what else are you going to do with it?

Of course, just putting them all in drops and adjusting the drop rates is pretty easy by comparison and I think some allowances should be made for the low-budget / small team development we have. But any design that doesn't feel natural is a personal pet peeve so I hope folks will forgive my going on about gamey/artificial mechanics that drive me nutso.

Weins201, FrostII and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I noticed earlier today that that rather large meteor coming towards us has gotten a whole lot bigger. ;)

GreyMouser Skye, Weins201 and FrostII like this.
  15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I'd have no issues with some pretty intense quests to get the recipe as long as one's skill in that area matched/allowed for it, know what I mean?

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Exactly.. for example.. you'd have to be able to smelt white iron ingots to start a particular quest but the minimum skill level for that was 85-90.. something along those lines. Then have something like a quest tree.. you have to learn bindings before you can learn sheets.. then armor after that..

Or rather.. since smelting and smithing are separate.. let's say you have to get those ingots first and have a high enough skill... Well you get the idea.

17. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Let's also remember that 1000 players playing and 1 of a recipe per day dropping versus 100,000 playing and 100 of those recipes dropping per day (as examples not exact numbers here) is vastly different and would significantly affect pricing. We should encourage the developers to balance for future hopeful number of players rather than the small number we have now as it's easier to add than take away if higher numbers are not reached after launch

Kpopgurl and FrostII like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^^^
    There's a difference between making something difficult and making something nonsensical, IMO....

19. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

About recipes, it's very frustrating to wait for the right one to drop. I agree that quests would be a better solution. But I have to also point out that crafting from rare materials is so expensive that you shouldn't really do it until you are at a point where paying 5-10k for a recipe is irrelevant.

Then there is the issue of the cost of materials. This one is more tricky. Should there be a limit to how much work you can put into an item? Because right you can try for items which are incredibly expensive, and some will always do that as long as it's possible. And other players, seeing those items, will think it's insane how much it takes to craft a "good" item. But in reality they are not essential, it's not as if your character gets twice as strong if you spend 100x the gold on a weapon compare to a casual player. So should we just scrap high level recipes? Or reduce the cost of everything? Both will end up with all players having the same gear.

Think about the amount of gold being farmed constantly just by peole playing the game. All that gold has to be spent somewhere. As long as rare items exist, they will be expensive. The market decides in a player economy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, but some didn't bother, so now their out in the cold, having to spend lots of gold for them off players now... Some of the Bow recipes weren't even around back then... Some players will always scream "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.