Sabras Rosé Theatre (Name/Location Pending)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallin Tregres, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Wow this is so wonderful and creative .I can't wait to see it @Vallin Tregres. I have the Obsidian inn and I often wish to add some color to it. I kind of prefer deep colors like gothic colors for myself but all colors would be great to have to use as we wish. I plan to visit soon to check this out.

It would be so great if we could get curtains in the game that are dyable. I would request they can be dyed at least 2 places for variety. We already have banners with curtain rods so we almost have curtains already. @Scottie @DarkStarr Can you please make us some curtains soon? They would add such variations to our creations.

2. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Would perfer using curtains to drape around my Theatre external hall walls rather than hanging tabards. I don’t want to use carpeting because it would seem odd to have it stop at the walkway stone blocks, so I’m looking into wall alternatives. Along the sides of the throne in the back I plan on using assortments of roses to go with the theme of the Theatre and the colors wouldn’t distract from the play, yet still be visible to the audience. Perhaps even expanding the throne into a boxed seating area with divided rooms.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Really awesome, must visit!

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Amazing! Thanks for posting it on Steam too.

5. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

WOW! Very cool! Great work! Can't wait to see it in person.

6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is amazing work Vallin! We should spotlight this theatre...

7. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Awesome!! Great design.

8. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hey there! ^_^

I just spoke to folks here about the subject of curtains made into decos and being able to dye deco items, and got a good earful of info about that kind of stuff... So I figured I'd share some of that info for your consideration!

I'll tackle the current inability to dye deco objects first... Of course, the first thing that came to my mind were the cloaks that one can hang on one's walls... "You can dye those, right? And those can become decos,...so why not be able to dye any deco?", I asked... Well, as it turns out, cloaks (even the deco version) can only be dyed currently because they pass through the "wearables" system and interface... Essentially, we have the ability to dye wearable items, and an interface set up specifically for that, all of which is a part of our "Character System"... Since deco items in general aren't set up to make use of that system (since you don't "wear" them), the only reason cloaks work is that they've been "reverse-engineered" to essentially "become" deco items because they were "dye-able wear-ables" first... Curtains, rod and all, would need to already be a wearable item for your characters in order for us to make a deco item that you could dye out of them...(which immediately made me laugh to think of that, because it brought to mind the hilarious Carol Burnett skit where she wore the whole curtain from that "Gone With the Wind" parody they did long ago...). So, long story short, creating a system and an interface to actually be able to dye deco items is probably something we'll need to look into post-launch...

Likewise, providing a set of Deco Curtain items is something that I would need to look into as carefully as I designed the Fireplace and Chimney Sets... You may recall that the idea of having (and later selling) sets of decorations like these was not originally conceived when Bob, our house-builder, was originally creating all the different kinds of houses you fine folks seem to enjoy to this very day... When I was tasked to make those Fireplace Sets, I quickly discovered that every aspect of the houses was "made to order", with individual measurements from floor-to-ceiling, different wall thicknesses, different room trims and timber placements, etc. etc... No two houses shared the exact same building parameters, just some general "rules-of-thumb"... This made the creation of "sets" of deco items that needed to fit rooms and walls specifically (while penetrating from one floor to the next or getting placed near windows or doors) VERY difficult and time-consuming, since I had to carefully test every piece I made to ensure that it would work in "most" circumstances... Of course, you've seen the results... I did my best, but those particular sets simply can't work perfectly in all situations, and sometimes look terrible or work terribly in others... Well,...the same concerns exist for the idea of "Hang-able Wall Curtains" that might need to fit on or over the endless variety of sizes, thicknesses, and designs of windows and window-frames in those same houses... I'm not saying it's impossible, but creating a set of curtains as decos would be a task of potentially-equal in difficulty to the Fireplaces and Chimneys... I might have to split Curtains into "pieces" to allow someone to sort of "build" a set of curtains around a window, and I'll doubtless need to make many varieties and color versions of those varieties after nailing down the functionality of a base set... This will certainly be a task that will have to wait until after launch...

Anyway,...GREAT work on the theater @Vallin Tregres !!!! I've shown this to Berek so that perhaps we can highlight your amazing efforts sometime soon!

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

That’s a good deal of information I wasn’t aware of regarding changing furniture color. As for the curtains, I think segments would be great. A “rolled up” look along the top and a “hanging drape” for the sides would be an easier way to fit in a customized curtain. You could even have the drape pieces double-sided so all the owner would need to do to alter between left and right is flip them around rather than making multiple models. Some could be flat, others poofed out for longer frames.

I’d love to do a spotlight, but the basement theatre still needs some work done. I’ve experimented with some boxed seating and plan on turning the small back rooms into mini-lounge bars for the boxed seats during intermissions. Purely a visual choice, but I feel it adds to the immersion. The audience are as much RPing as the actors afterall.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Scottie like this.
  10. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Updated with new pics and more color added.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Scottie like this.
  11. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Updated with finishing touches to the side halls and boxed seating area. When you first enter you are met with 2 hallway options. At the end of the hallway is a Pink or a Yellow rose bush. This leads to Pink or Yellow boxed seating areas as well as to close off the unused door while allowing anybody trapped on the other side somehow a way to hop over the barrier.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

A brilliant execution of a marvelous idea.
    So very impressed.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks Scottie for giving this some thought as I know you are so good at thoughtfulness ;). I was thinking that curtains don't have to fit perfectly though like in my real life house my patio door/window the curtain is larger than the door, sometimes wall to wall curtains for small windows. Here's a few curtain examples from games I found ;) I'm sure you will figure it out for us some day. thanks as always.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

lol I just had to have one measly lacy one ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  15. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Cool examples! Once we're done with launch, I'll start looking into stuff like this and see what I can get going!

16. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

@Vallin Tregres this is a hell of a good work, being an architect myself, I know how much work it requires! @Scottie I am working on a project of construction, and just found out that in release 52 I cannot place blocks on top of each other anymore. I believe this is a bug

It is unfortunate that the bug was found the exact same day we are launching the Novian Architect concept. Assuming this is a bug, and that it will be fixed fast, I have kept the launch of our services. But such bug could kill the concept in the egg...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/urgent-blocks-do-not-stack-anymore.116708/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  17. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

As a note I’ve relocated to Estgarde for now. Celestis is pretty, but didn’t fit the outside design well. I’d be interested in relocating to a PoT if the location would work for it, but until there is a secure way to prevent all my deco being sent to the bank of something happens to the lot I’ll most likely remain in an NPC town.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

After starting construction I soon came to realize the Kobold Great Hall is off-center on every floor. I found this same problem when laying carpet in the basement that the walls are at a slight angle that, when going end to end, can throw off a design choice. It was touch and go having to build around the base design, but it ultimately forced me to alter my original designs. This tweaking offered me more insight into each rooms design, how they flow into one another, and I’m pleased with the results. Rather than an obstacle each project was a challenge that I enjoyed working with. Wish the Kobold Great Hall had something other than concrete floor though, as most of my house space was taken by carpeting.

I have 50ish slots available in my house out of 2000. Basement has 10K available, so plenty of room to play with.

19. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

what about usin g the magic movers? unfortunately it cost 6 cotos when you move from a town to another , but your work is definitely worth moving it

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  20. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

What I'm referring to is that if I'm in a PoT and something happens to the lot, either through having it removed or eviction, everything on that lot gets sent to the bank. It would mean that at any moment all my deco could be destroyed on a whim, which is a serious flaw in the system IMO. It's the reason I've been sticking to NPC towns. What I'd like to see is a change so that if something happens to the lot the default action to be taken should be that the house and basement are auto-sorted into the Property Manager. If that is not doable then at least have it so that if the lot IS to be removed the person doing so (Owner of the PoT or anyone with such authority) is prompted to drag the house and basement into Property Manager themselves before they can remove the lot.

The cost for a keep and keep basement is 9 coto each BTW. Not as much as I was expecting given my deco count. Moved to Estgarde the day of launch because it better fit the outside design of my theatre. :D

CrandalltheFoole and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.