700 point skill system?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Jako, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Thanks! It's kind of what I did in UO...except I had to have alts for crafting. I don't mind a limit...as long as it isn't so restrictive that we cannot customize our character enough. 700 wasn't enough for me because I did want to harvest and craft too...but it sounds like they want us to be able to do both here so I'm just hoping there will be enough of a cap to allow us to go deep into our choice of combat/defense skill.

Isaiah likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

exactly. since crafting is a separate set of levels/skills we can be masters of both. I do think we should have a max level for skill points on the adventuring side for sure. I would love to see our characters be able to master lots of skills, but not all of them. However crafting I don't mind if they let us learn it all even if it takes a long time after you've leveled up a bit.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Lets have a 1,000 point system with Grandmaster (100) being the tops. it was Sooooo cramped with only 7 skills. Even when they launched Legendary (120) with the 720 point system way too cramped in UO.

jondavis likes this.
  4. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Keep in mind, in theory limiting the number of skills one person can master sounds like a great way to get people to cooperate and make a society. I think in reality what ends up really happening is you choose which part of the game you want to experience and the rest is cut off from you. That kind of sucks to me.

I prefer a system where say for the first 1000 points you can learn at a normal rate, then for every 100 skill points thereafter it takes longer and longer to learn more skills. In that way long term players are rewarded and there is the potential to get your money and time's worth out of a game.

Another idea is you can also institute a skill degradation system where if it is not used frequently you will start loosing skill points in it.

5. Gluuven

Gluuven Avatar

700 seem too low for me but I also don’t like the idea of a master of all trades no matter how long it would take for that. What I think neat would be to have it broken down between sigils by have a primary, secondary and tertiary with a max of 400, 300, 200 then maybe for every year an account has existed they get another 100 points that represent the ability to learn more as you age.

6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

For my part, regarding crafting, it likely won't matter much; unless the required number is too high (in which case I will just stick to playing offline), I will have as many characters as are needed to be self-sufficient. I already have two game accounts, and as long as I like the game I'm willing to get a couple more if needed for self-sufficiency.

As for combat, I would really prefer a system where characters are able to learn each and every skill, but must choose which ones to "equip", more or less like in The Secret World.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you play offline I think they said you might be able to gain all the skills. For me I would rather have one good character that has a specialty. I don't have time to have 4 or 5 different characters to become self-sufficient, and that's ok for me.

8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Do remember the stated intent to add more skills as time goes on. IF we all continue to get more skills with time, and more and more skill trees are added, keeping the pool of unlearned skills full no matter what, then we will all always be picking and choosing skills, not becoming masters of all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.