93 Lots Left, hurry!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamist, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It has said 93 left since 11/19 when I bought one. Just today I got crazy and pledged Knight since I found out there is a payment plan so I will now have 2 lots...but I plan on giving one to my mom so no problems there.

Koldar likes this.
  2. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Lol, that's one way to do it! :)

3. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

Koldar, I wonder if listing only 200 in the store is meant to give people like me a sense of urgency to "Get them while the gitten is good”. After these 200 are gone, surprise surprise, now there are a zillion for sale. I've always been cynical and I know that’s not necessarily a good thing but, I see myself dumping possibly 5k into SoTA before the game is released. I like to at least be well informed before I do that. Either way, I love what RG is doing and happy to be part of it, even if housing wasn’t part of the game Id still be here.

4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Well, Hopefully they see thier name drop and give us a Forum Confirmation, but @Firelotus did tell us in IRC Chat (months back) that although housing is (very) limited, everyone who buys a deed (Citizen+ Pledge or Add-on) will have a place to use it. I'm sure that statement is bookended by (So long as you place it during the Backer Phase because once it's live it's all up for grabs)

5. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

@Koldar regarding the FAQ section you pasted - that indicates that during land rush each player can claim only 1 lot. It doesn't say that in general a player can only have 1 lot though. I'm guessing you can have multiple lots you just won't be able to do so during the initial land grab.

Also, good point about the deeds. I agree, eventually there would have to be the possibility of more deeds than lots existing.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

It's true, friend. You may not see it, just like when you are in a nice restraunt you probably don't think that maybe there are hungry people outside.

Maybe you missed all the infomercials showcasing what you can buy/own in SoTA. Those things you mentioned, friend, can be found in many other games...and some of the things you mentioned can't and won't evolve until (maybe/hopefuly) after the game has been released.

7. smack

smack Avatar

The number of lots available is not a real-time dynamic counter. They haven't gotten around to making it work like that yet so you'll have to wait until they update it manually.

As far as being guaranteed land -- any lot deed that you purchase or got as a reward prior to launch is guaranteed a piece of land. Once the game launches, you will have to compete in the "land rush" and get enough in-game currency to buy one before they run out.

The number of lots allocated during the Kickstarter campaign was about 2000 lots. Less than half of that was taken when the campaign ended. And that's not even counting the number of lots they reserved for the "land rush". So there's still a lot of land left, but it is a finite number:

Because this world is all in 1 meta "shard", there are VERY finite numbers of lots available.
    - Richard "Lord British" Garriott

8. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I should think that lot deeds can, and will, be made available "as seen fit", meaning that deeds will be in limited supply, but as expansions (episodes) are released, so will new lots of land, the amount being in relation to the number of players.
    It doesn't do anybody any good if limiting the number of lots exempts the influx of more and new players. This is a virtual world, there aren't any direct physical limitations to the number of lots, only contrived limitations.

BillRoy likes this.
  9. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Save it for a Mother's Day present! Forword thinking!

10. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I tend to think that you can only decroate and redecorate some many times before the ultra wonderful magic of home ownership wears off. You make it should like the magic will last to eternity.

Notice that I didn't use the "great story" arguement.

11. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

It wont, they are different types of deeds, as in rent free and rent paying.

12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I think that most haven't thought that far down the road.
    I think that think that it will last for all eternity...

You, my friend, are doin' it right.;)

13. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I was going to buy a housing lot a while back... then I instead upgraded my original kickstarter pledge to Citizen level! I'm pretty sure I made the right choice :)

smack, Koldar and Isaiah like this.
  14. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Yes, I think having a tax free lot is a really nice perk. You don't ever have to worry about it. Once you plant your stake down, so to speak, it'll be yours period and across all players and instances which is unique with SotA housing. Having said that, I believe its still possible that if you haven't logged in after a certain amount of time it might be relinquished. So if you're busy and unable to play you may still need to log in periodically. Don't think they've given any specifics on that though.

15. smack

smack Avatar

Actually, they have decided at least for backers, as it's in the FAQ:
    Is there an upkeep cost to Lots?

Lots have an in game currency tax that must be paid monthly or the lot reverts to being for sale and the Lot Deed is returned to the owner. Backers at Citizen level and above receive a tax exempt Lot Deed but the lot can still revert after an extended amount of inactivity (5 months at Citizen level, + one month per tier above that).

For non-backers or anyone who buys property after the game launches , I don't think they decided yet but the current guestimate was 1 month (unconfirmed).

16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

But thats still not completely clear. What does "inactivity" mean? Does it simply mean you have to have logged in? If so, then does that mean if you log in once every 5 months you keep the lot? That's why I indicated we're still missing some specifics.

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I believe activity is a player logging in for any amount of time. This would just be a way to boot people that have died or otherwise moved on from the game. It's a "just in case" type of mechanic.

18. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

67 left now...Update

19. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The inactivity they are speaking to in the FAQ is connecting to the online server.

It is just as Venger has said, this mechanism will allow active players the opportunity to settle a plot of land that has been owned by a player who has not been active.

20. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I agree that it would make sense for "activity" to mean you logged on. But I don't think they've actually confirmed that so we don't know for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.