A better installer (with please[!!!] on top)

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Aenra, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Yes, i am aware it is eventual, just as i can understand it should not exactly be your primary focus right now..but!

Since day one, it has had an issue with the user choosing a non-default installation directory. Namely, it could not even extract all the necessary files, resulting in the launcher being unable to run, ultimately resulting in either a) letting it install where it wants, or b) resorting to Steam.
    This issue persists. Still. Been over a year.

It may sound as petty, but it is not. To begin with, it looks kind of ..bad?.. having an installer extract all its data inside %appdata% (why, of all places, of all the possibilities, and most of all, why considering the myriads of configurations going by different permissions and settings, is honestly beyond me..).
    More importantly, and you can google this to find the SotA forum postings yourselves, if the user is not very software savvy, they think that they either did something wrong (repeating the 'error' yet again), or that the installer itself is ..subpar?.. which is not a very good first impression now is it. If you cannot even load the game..should you really have paid for it? :)

Steam is indeed an alternative. Assuming that is the customer is willing to go there, as we never asked him if he's willing now did we? No FAQ stating the current issue. An even lesser one since there are additional clauses to be considered. Gifting, account trading, et al. It is yet an even lesser of one if, like me, you actually use your PC for working. You may not be aware, but even IF neither of the above stood as an obstacle, fact is that registry tinkering or even cleaning can and does result in Steam forcing you to redownload everything (which is logical, security issues. But still a fact, and as such still an issue)

Do please consider "upgrading" the current piece of junk (just being honest, ok? Don't bite!) with something a touch more practical. Really!
    Will shut up now :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Alienware X51
    windows 7 professional
    Intel Core I3-3220 cpu
    @3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz
    8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
    64-bit Operating System
    Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645

Did you post a bug report regarding problems? That would be in the R19 release section? You click on the word Forums and then look down towards the bottom for topics. Then post the system that you are using. Then you can be advised and calling it a piece of junk solves nothing. I know I am happy to help you anytime, in fact it would be my pleasure to if I can, but this is a system issue that I do not have. The Developers, while a small team are also very approachable and would help you if they can so post a bug for them to help you. I also do not use Steam, I would if I had to but I prefer not to. Above is my system. Best wishes to you always. **cheers**

**edited** hopefully makes more sense

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

One day I will understand why reinventing the wheel everytime is so necessary.

But today is not that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.