A bit upset about land rush

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Dragon Slayer2, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon Slayer2

Dragon Slayer2 Avatar

I do not know about the rest of you, but I am a bit upset with how this land rush went. People with Castle, Keep, and City Deeds are claiming all the Town, Village, and Row lots. I am sorry but they should have been forced to place their Castle, Keep, City deed first on those spots. If it was in a POT, then so be it that was their turn. As it is now, I am pretty confident that I will not be able to claim my town lot come Tuesday and will have to settle for a village or row lot. So I will have to wait until a house decays then get lucky or be SOL. I may not have had 10k+ thousand dollars to contribute to the game so I could go first, but I did pay money so I could have a town lot.

What will more than likely happen is those with the Castle, Keep, and City Deeds will probably give up their Town or Village lot for a few seconds so they can then claim that lot with the proper deed and then go to the other lot they want and claim that one as well because there will be little to no opposition to those other spots and they will have both while the rest of us just sit back and wait or have to go to the POTs and pay real life money to live in those areas. I really wish those in charge would have sat down and down so failure mode analysis and if they did and ignore this potential failure mode, then shame on you. You need to care about all your customers, not only those that gave 10k+ up front. What will make or break this game in the end is all of those that are lower on the totem pole.

This reminds me of UO so much where the land rush days which were also terrible.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There are still fantastic spots remaining. The house that I selected is surrounded by empty lots and I believe a year from now my location will be one of the most sought after.

There are many lots that were selected in the first few rounds that I still scratch my head over why someone thought those were "good". But to each their own, of the thousands of lots that remain, it appears you believe all the good ones are gone. That's an interesting conclusion.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There are plenty of lots. The town I'm in has 147 (of 148) lots available.

[edit] BTW, it's a PRT, not a POT.

4. Hillel Slovak

Hillel Slovak Avatar

Brookash, Brookside, Goti, Graff Island been to all those areas yet? NPC towns check them out!

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bet they're all empty.

Canterbury and Oba Evesor like this.
  6. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

There is ZERO risk of you being unable to place your town lot. Port has stated multiple time that there 30% more lots I game then there are deeds available/purchased, not even counting the lots available in the POTs.

Oba Evesor and enderandrew like this.
  7. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

I joined a POT a day before final wipe and told my POT leader to pick a spot for me in the POT, she is boss of the POT so i have faith in the spot she picks for me.

no stress, no land rush, all chill ^.^

8. Fain

Fain Avatar

Come check out Elads lighthouse. Still spots available, direct boat access to the Brittany bank, and it's right smack in the middle of the overland map.

tazntaylr and Spoon like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

???
    There were over 450 Town lots in game controlled towns on friday (Town: 391, Town Water: 67) and that is without counting POTs which add about as much again.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=61359#Landrush
    Since there was less than 150 Lords left to go after that announcement then at minimum you have over 350 (or 300 if you are not founder) lots to chose from.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=56208

10. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

I placed my keep island lot in our PoT in the first few hours of my slot. I have not placed the house yet, instead placing tents for me, and stables filled with crafting stations for guild use. I decided a while ago to forgo trying to snag some "popular" spot, and place my other lot in the PoT. That will be at the end of the land rush, and after everyone else has chosen their primary location. Placing the lot in another region for teleport purposes became moot.

I believe that we don't actually know now what will be "popular" in time, and placing in a cooperative community of friends is vastly superior for game start.

11. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Elephant in the room that no one really bothers saying:
    Some lots are crap.
    And I mean that in a literal sense.
    They are far enough from hunting/gathering/market spots that they are effectively worse than not having a house (living out of bank) on a regular basis.
    Especially the horrid mass-produced town layout where you spend another 2 minutes walking to/from your house from the scene entrance, and that has almost no npcs in-town, which adds more trips for crafting.
    If you have to spend 10 minutes of every hunting/gathering/crafting trip walking/loading to/from your house, then you aren't playing the same game everyone else is. You are literally throwing your time away, in something that you probably don't find fun, and can't even compete economically because even if you charge the same prices, it takes you longer to do things so you make less and in some cases would be better off just hunting.

Yes, there are lots open, but some are more of a handicap than they are a benefit.
    The argument "Well we don't know what will be good" is disingenuous, because that's the beauty of it, we don't HAVE to know what will be good later. It is important enough to have the conversation, that some are crap right now, and will be crap for the immediate future. It is of no solace to a player to say "Hey, you get a huge handicap for the first month, or two, or ten, but eventually your spot will be good, too bad everyone else advanced way further than you in that time"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  12. Fain

Fain Avatar

I agree. Some lots are way too far a run from the entrance (although if you recall in you don't start at the entrance).

I think we're all pretty much waiting for them to agree to bring back Mark / Recall so we don't have to run through the same generic scene umpteen times.

Chatele likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Recall to get to your house. Exit to menu and start on world map to leave. Also, there are adventure scenes near every town.

14. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Ok, i'll play this game.
    "recall to your house" -> So now you're burning 300 gold everytime you want to go home, verses players who don't have to do that. AND you can't do it overweight, which negates most gathering/hunting situations, or you're going home way too much and spending even more.

Start on world map to leave -> Devs have explicitly said they dislike this functionality and will be removing it when feasible, feel free to correct me if they've stated otherwise since then.

Adventure scenes near every town -> Yes, they technically exist. In the same way that there are technically lots.
    In reality, That disregards the fact that most of them suck, and/or most of them are clones of areas that suck.
    I mean suck in that the balance is bad enough that there are "ideal" spots for pretty much everything, and the difference between the "Average" spots and the ideal is huge.
    Sure there are tons of scenes, that are never worth the time because the mob distribution is horrid, or the resources aren't right, etc etc.

So really, all you've said is confirmed everything i've said, that they have to either play at a handicap (you just replaced time with gold, which is still time) or just not use their house and live out of a bank somewhere.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then find a town with a lot near the entrance, and yes there are plenty. However, I expect that you're just upset that you didn't get a "premium" lot for your vendor.

16. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Resorting to personal attacks when you can't prove your point is not productive. Which is fairly common in these threads sadly, many people seem to think that it's all about getting a "good" lot, when really it's about not getting a lot that actively penalizes play. Or that anyone who is pointing out it isn't going to work is just pissed about lot placement. For the record i am already perfectly setup. that doesn't mean i'm not outraged for those who are about to experienced a shitty handicap that there's no reason for them to have.

At this point you're not discussing, you're just negating. The whole first post you originally replied to spelled out how there is NOT enough towns with lots near the entrance in decent areas with an appropriate npc layout.

There are just not enough lots that are good from a PVE perspective, even ignoring vendor placement and the market for the time being.
    You have obviously not taken inventory of the towns and lots left open, verses how many people have left to place.

Rather than just automatic naysaying of what others say without providing any proof or reasoning I suggest you try running around to a few of the towns and seeing the specific mass copy template they are using, and where the npcs are within them, and the run times to the lots yourself.

17. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I am not sure what all the fuss is really. Vendor placement? Every single house needs a vendor? Really?

Who is going to be doing all the buying? What are they going to be buying that they cant pick up themselves? And if they are not a crafter, and spend most of their time adventuring and collecting...then why do they need access to a vendor?

Would an 'out of the way' house be crap to them?

The whole house thing is something that just sounds good in your head. In reality, nobody will visit, nobody will care. And your vendor will not see business. After a year or so, you probably wont even visit your own house.

EDIT: Giving it some thought.....most people will probably buy from somebody in the town they live in. Most of the people taking these so called 'prime' spots are all congregating together....like in Owls Head for example. They are all producers...they farm and make stuff. They don't buy from each other.

You are better off in a larger community, with fewer producers so that when you become 'known' you will be servicing a larger number of people. Hopefully adventuring type people who may need to buys something..and will have the gold to do it with.

Where you are is irrelevant...it is who your neighbours are that will matter.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Fain and GraveDncer like this.
  18. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Because you didn't bother reading the thread. Vendor placement, while important, is a non issue compared to the time cost of the travel incurred with bad lots in bad town templates.

It's not your fault, this has been discussed to death in dev+ threads, and fully half the posts in those threads are posts likes yours and the one above, who only seek to derail or try to argue the nonissues when the bigger issue is that while there are "technically" enough lots, a large percentage are effectively a 5-10 minute handicap on usage, and quite a few of those towns don't even have their npc vendors like they are supposed to due to the mass copy templates.
    But don't take my word for it, go explore a bunch of the out of the way town copies that were put in to meet the lot quota.

Marcus Antoninus likes this.
  19. Hillel Slovak

Hillel Slovak Avatar

I have explored a bunch of towns in the past two days before I placed my town lot last night. I only went to NPC towns and Coral Cove. The latter was empty, saw one castle and I think it is just a place holder. I looked for town sized plots. The unique towns of Aerie, Brittney, Brittney fields, Etceter, Kingsport, OwlsHead, Resolute, Solania, and Xenos had none. I did not check Brittney Warfs and there are 48 lots there but I am sure they are taken. Spite had one town lot open which is surely taken by now. Port Graff had 2 of the 3 town lots open, Mud had 3 of 4 before I took one, and Westend had 2. The rest of the towns that are "clone towns" if you will, EastMarch had great spots, Elads Lighthouse had ok spots, Broochash, Brookside and Harvest had good spots. I know this is 24 hours ago and 150 people have probably been able to place since then. But yea, what I could place in group 35, 1625 dollar investment almost three years ago to the day, wasn't what I thought it would be. I thought I'd be able to place a nice spot in one of the unique towns. But this game, 3 years later isn't what I thought it would be either. So, yea I am upset a *little* about the housing but when you look at the game in total, what the heck were we expecting.? Just my two cents.

Fain, Baalice and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, I've done that and I can find a number of lots, right now, that are not only near an entrance to a PRT but also near the NPCs.

Umuri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.