A few issues with Aid Refugees quest in Blood River Outskirts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Anpu, Jun 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Currently this quest "works" (for lack of a better term), and is fine and all, and just consider this a feedback/wishlist thing, for when you do possibly have some time to possibly look into this. This is not, in any way, a critical issue.

I was going through this quest and documenting this quest step by step and I started noticing quite a few irregularities with this quest. I think I can see how this quest is probably "supposed" to be working. But currently, it doesn't seem to be set up that way. "How" this is supposed to be working, is just my own guess:

When the Avatar speaks to Alberic and says the keyword refugee, the Avatar will receive the Aid Refugees task and journal entry. 2 Blue markers are placed on the compass and map for the NPCs Vinicius and Paeon. These markers are labeled:
    Search for Refugees to Aid
    Task: Aid Refugees.

This is to guide the Avatar specifically to receive both the Recover Heirloom for Vinicius and Banded Forever quests. (This is working just fine).

Receiving the Recover Heirloom for Vinicius and Banded Forever quests however may not be an easy process for an actual new player playing our game, as a certain mechanic is not ever told to the player at all (it seems to be assumed the Avatar will eventually try this?). No loading screen tip, a mention in the Player Guide, or text above the avatar text hint about this mechanic, is ever given to the Avatar:
    • When speaking to Vinicius, the Avatar is immediately asked for their name. After the Avatar gives them their name, a keyword labeled heirloom in white text is displayed. The Avatar can click the heirloom keyword and then receive the Recover Heirloom for Vinicius task and journal entry.
    • When speaking to Paeon, the Avatar is immediately asked for their name. After the Avatar gives them their name, no keyword at all is present to receive the Banded Forever quest. Clicking on any of the available keywords does not ever give or unlock a help keyword.
    A new player playing our game, may not know that there is a mechanic where the Avatar must manually type the word "help" to receive some quests(?). I do not know if this is specifically intended (never telling the Avatar about this mechanic) or is possibly something that is missing, or possibly a bug with keywords or dialogue construction. If this is something that is missing, one suggestion* would be:
    • When the Avatar speaks to Paeon, and also has the quest Aid Refugees quest, a one time overhead text hint is displayed, something like "Sometimes, you will need to manually type the word help in the chat window to receive some quests from NPC's". This is the similar overhead text used for hints in the various "Battle of"" scenes (like Battle of Solace Bridge).
    Upon receiving both Recover Heirloom for Vinicius and Banded Forever quests, the Aid Refugees task, journal entry and both blue markers for Vinicius and Paeon would complete. (This is currently not set up this way).

When the Avatar completes both the Recover Heirloom for Vinicius and Banded Forever quests, the Update Elf Leader quest is given. (This is currently not set up this way).

Currently, if you have the quest Aid Refugees and have a Bottle of Elven Wine in your inventory, speaking to Vinicius and handing them this, completes the Aid Refugees quest. The task and journal entry completes, the 2 blue markers for Vinicius and Paeon are still present. This is possibly a bug. I would assume this is not supposed to complete from just this one quest.

Just wanted to share some observations. Thank you!

Cordelayne and Rinaldi like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Right off the bat I suspect these task titles could be improved. In my task titles, I like to hint at a keyword if the task is conversation base. For example, I might say "Offer Help to Refugees" when I want them to say "help" to multiple NPCs in small area.

Even though you said they're fine, I'll look into these.

I didn't set up these quests, but if I remember correctly I can probably reword the task titles as mentioned above to hint that "help" is important in these specific cases. Also, I bet I can reword the dialogue of at least Alberic to tell the player the "help" keyword is a great place to start a conversation.

Not a bad suggestion, although I'd prefer to keep the suggestion within the NPC conversations and tasks instead of using UI-based hints. Still, I'll consider it because often it's OK to give extra hints new players extra hints/help.

I'll take a look.

I'll take a look at this, too.

I'll also take a look at this.

The quest logic in a lot of these outskirts quests are "messy" and hard for me to follow and unravel. I'll try to make all the issues you mentioned here clearer based on your suggestions. Hopefully these particular tasks are easy for me to refine and improve! Issue #70568

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

fix needs testing as of 1550

Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

In testing in build 1557, all of the new changes seem to be working fine, one thing I believe is still bugged(?). Giving a Bottle of Elven Wine to Vinicius , we receive a one time reward but also receive a quest Update Elf Leader. Can you remove that from from that turn in process (giving the Update Elf Leader quest). I will assume just handing a bottle of wine to a refugee would not be giving that task.

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.