Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A Question about Windows 10

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Chatele, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

What operating system will this game be best run on? Windows 7, or 10. I have windows 7, but was told it can only support 16 gigs of ram, found that out when i took it to geeks to see what ailed my PC when it wouldn't start. It was what I thought, the power supply died. SO, was thinking of upgrading to 10, but I am afraid too. Does anyone run this game in windows 10? If so, any problems? AND how do you like windows 10? Thank you.

That will help me make a decision. ;)

2. helm

helm Avatar

The geeks are probably right. Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases

I have one Win10 installation on one El cheapo laptop (had to install it because my printer's management software refused to run anywhere else, i.e. had to install an entire operating system just to change my printer's administrative password, go figure...) but it worked surprisingly well and was far less annoying than I thought.

The game is now officially supported by Windows 10, and there is quite possibly going to be a forced or semi-forced upgrade anyway. So I'd say go for it. Of course Win10 has its share of bugs and privacy issues, but what Windows version doesn't? :p (you'd be using Linux if privacy issues were a real concern for you).

Chatele likes this.
  3. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I like 7 but 10 works just as good and per say, safer. I have intell core i3 4160 with only 8 gigs and I run fine. and has
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

4. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Win7 64 bit can support as much as you want. If you have a limit on your RAM, you're running a 32 bit OS.

I run this on windows 10 Pro 64bit - aside from the crashes due to memory leaks the game (as of this last release) is running like a champ.

If you do upgrade to Windows 10 - Make sure to upgrade to the 64 bit version and NOT the 32 bit version.

You should also just do due diligence and make sure your PC can support win10.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I resist change for as long as reasonably possible. :) That said, you can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free but only for a short time. July I think but no later than that. So you may as well take the plunge while it's free.

Fortunately, if you know where to look, 10 still has a lot of the old stuff (like the control panel) hidden away.. but it's there. It seems to run fine. I haven't had any serious issues with it.

And as previously stated.. make sure you're running a 64-bit OS. :)

6. helm

helm Avatar

Just a little correction. Windows 7 Home editions do limit the physical memory size to 8 GB (Home Basic) or 16GB (Home Premium). Basically, it's crippleware (i.e. not a technical limitation but rather a marketing gimmick).

r-DotPhunky likes this.
  7. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Yes, you are right... I just did not want to open that can of worms again. :)

Here's the breakdown of Max memory for Win 10 & Win 7. In the end you could also do OK with Win 10 Home 64 bit if you are not a power user or developer.

Windows 10 Home 32 bit 4 GBs
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit 128 GBs
    Windows 10 Pro 32 bit 4 GBs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 512 GBs
    Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 32 bit 4 GBs
    Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 64 bit 512 GBs

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64
    Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
    Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

helm likes this.
  8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

no, my system is running at 64bit
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
    yea I can only use 16 gigs on this system, that's why thinking of upgrading to win 10, 64bit. WOW ty all for your frrd back, I will be taking the plunge to win 10 then :) wish me luck...
    etc

r-DotPhunky likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I run the game on Windows 10 at home and it's buttery smooth (GTX 970 here). Many of our work stations are Windows 7 and they run it extremely well too.

I would say that the Windows version is less important than how well the system is built for components, what drivers you have installed, other programs, etc.

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I've been running SOTA in win 10 since I started in January. No issues (GTX980).

In fact, I have VMware Workstation with a Win7 virtual machine that has 16 gigs of ram assigned to it. I can fire up that virtual machine and run my son's SOTA account in it simultaneously on my second monitor. In the VM I have to lower SOTA's video to basic but it runs just fine.

It does take some good hardware to do this.

I've never seen SOTA on my win10 box use more then 10 gigs of ram so I see no reason to need more then 16 unless you are also running virtual machines on the computer for other purposes.

helm likes this.
  12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

think i will stick with win7, and just update my graphic card instead.... less headaches ..... ty all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.