1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

A Royal Illumination on Release 5

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Agreed , Because you need to drop one of the Braids Bro @RichardGarriott :)

Well done Richard You and your team are not disappointing me at all .... Would i dig some tweeks to what I hold Close to me yes,,,,,, But for a Breaking the Mold game that this is sure to become well done done Sir. Well done Indeed.

Nhili Dragon and rild like this.
  2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The most impressive part of R5 for me was the lighting in the sewer, it was truly amazing. I would say to make the 'Chest Mimic' be more of a Change-Ling instead of an animated chest, having the ability to mourph into multiple forms but it was still fun, here's a video of the sewer light I'm talking about...

rild likes this.
  3. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I enjoyed the ability to FINALLY use magic. The spell animations themselves were quite nice but I'm looking forward to R6 and seeing improvements there. Specifically the spells such as root ( which didn't work ) and lightning ( which needs more awesome sauce in the graphics dept ). More visuals showing spell effect. Fireball was lovely of course! Hopefully we'll also see the introduction of a few more spells from some of the other lines. This past release has me chomping at the bit for some PvP action in the near future! o_O

Time Lord and rild like this.
  4. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

Re: Spell animations. I noticed that fireball and lightning the spell animations happened in front of the character, whilst the ray spell from the sun school of magic animated behind the character. Was that intentional, or a glitch/bug?

5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That mimic bugged me the first time. Maybe the can add more "races" of mimics.

Miganarchine and Numa like this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Like the mimic "cabinet" , "door" they are silly but they do add an element of surprise .. lol

foobard, NRaas and Eriador like this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That can be cruel. Actually Im a little bit chest-phobic... I lke it! XD

Margard likes this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

I really liked that initially they were not push overs - and they gave you substantial gold ... in R5 testing

Eriador likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Margard,

But now the mimic's children will have no parent mimic to take care of them. They're alone and afraid, and will probably be absorbed and digested by an amoeboid.. all because of you.... all because of you..

Time Lord, docdoom77, rild and 2 others like this.
  10. BigWeather

BigWeather Avatar

I really liked the new overland map, though I'm guessing I'm in the minority there. As for the Mimic, please keep it as an animated chest. That's old school Ultima. =)

Nhili Dragon and rild like this.
  11. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Thanks for the release.
    Can't wait for the sounds to be polished up as well or added many missing, but I guess that's in an upcoming release.
    The lighting did improve the graphics.
    Overland map wishing we could go back to 3D as promised, but it did look better than previous overland map.
    If we could squeeze in NPCs not being able to be killed that would be nice too for R6 as it ruined some people's quest line.
    Also the Town Criers conversation was bad , they could not tell me what village/town I was in.
    So every time I entered one of the villages I had no idea what one it was even asking the fellow.

Can't wait for R6 keep up the good work.

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

It would be interesting if the other variants of the Chest Mimic were doppelgangers , able to take on the shape of what they kill.
    Guess I made it to the right Rx (haven't played since R1) since I enjoy having a mixture of physical combat & magic in my NPC encounters. Hopefully it would be possible to be able to have more complete magic trees in R6.

Time Lord and rild like this.
  13. rild

rild Avatar

It would be neat if they reverted to their "true form" upon death. Would be cool to further explore the 'character' of these creatures. I like the idea of there being lesser and greater mimics, with more forms / powers. Corpse mimic! Even simple objects like a torch could be a lurking mimic. The beauty of the chest or another intractable object is its ability to stay concealed until an adventurer tries to open it up or take it. Also, I think some type of holding spell would be appropriate for these creatures; Lure you in, stun / contain you, then attempt to eat you and steal your gold! Adds some strategy akin to old D&D where you'd check for traps or detect-magic etc. on doors & chests before diving into them.

Like the mimic Hearth of Britannia cabinet? *steeples fingers* Excellent ...

R5 definitely got me itching to try some PVP. Also, BigWeather we might be the minority, but you are not alone! I really dig the overland map, and the animations made it even better!

In summation: TOO MUCH FUN :D

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  14. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

I didn't have time to make my closing remarks on R5 - aside from the uber frustration I had with deco *poofing* in mah house, I was most impressed with the the following...
    • Combat - intrigued by the WoW-esqe hot-bar, luv the ability to assign skills points between combat sessions... have it one way for one type of monster, then switch it for another. However, this makes me curious about the randomness of the "card system" that is not yet in play and as a warrior/paladin type, that kinda bothers me. I'd rather not be burdened with a skill/card I don't want to use (spells) - especially since I am thinking of going back to my barbaric roots here (NO magic use). I'd rather NOT have a bunch of random spells card be dealt to me, that means that the RNG could assign me all spells and an otherwise perfect barbar-b*tch would be utterly useless in a melee situation.
    • I did test a few spells - this is pre-alpha and testing is the purpose - and found I am liking how it is done.. for those magic wielding people that is. ;)
      • Cannot wait until the sound effects are added in and the mob animations are worked out more!
    • Went looking for some "random" encounters in a few hexes, personally it is rather easy to get lost in the maze, even with the compass. Now I dunno if cartography will be a skill, but spatial memory gets kinda bogged a bet within the random settings.
    • Swimming - YAY! Will we have the ability to dive?
    • Questing is "okay" - the hinting at key words kinda kills it for me though... and NPC conversation I'm sure will be improved upon and adjusted.
      • Would it be possible to have a player setting for the key word hinting? A toggle for this would really help with immersion.
    • And yes... the coloring of the sky!!!! THIS IS MY MOST FAVE PART! THANK YOU!!!! Now just need a tropical island and I can set up my Hawaiian resort! :D

rild likes this.
  15. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I thought it was way to dark!, The torch in my hand needed to give off more light then it would have been ok.

Crikey likes this.
  16. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

This was the second test I participated in here, very impressive. I am looking forward to 6. I did upgrade my status from $45 to the $135 level yesterday to show my support. Thanks again, now get back to work :)

High Baron ByTor likes this.
  17. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

It was a great surprise to encounter a mimic ;)

rild and Eriador like this.
  18. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Yes please !

rild likes this.
  19. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Was a solid release for sure. The new lighting was wayyyy too dark though, need some gamma settings. Looking good!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Baradon

Baradon Avatar

I don't think that Lord British's motto "
    is solely coined to balancing issues, but also to the problems a couple of players experienced, especially the blockers, i.e. the login problems that prevented them from playing R5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.