Ability to Name Items

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by NirAntae, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

The general outline we've heard about the crafting sounds incredibly fun and engaging, and I can't wait! One thing I haven't heard in any of the descriptions, though, would be a way to give a custom name and/or description to "masterwork" level items. It's one of my favorite features on games that have it. I really love being able to take a master level item I've created and add a personal touch for the customer who wants to buy it!

Obviously, there would need to be a pretty substantive list of words/phrases that would not be acceptable in item names and/or descriptions, because any time you have player input like that, the "Time To Penis" has to be taken into account XD But it really adds a wonderful level to the crafting system to have something like this.

smack and OSullivan like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Tbh I don't like personal naming of items......makes it look cheap.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

It has already been stated by RG that they are working on a "makers mark" feature. Maybe the same system that is used to filter/block certain Avatar names can be used to protect the integrity of the "makers mark."

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Makers Mark is fine.... But hate being able to custom labels "uber tunic of protection"

Golem Dragon and OSullivan like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

It's one of my favorite features in games that have it XD Not so much for, as you suggest, "uber tunic of protection", but names like Sting, Ulfberht, or Excalibur, etc.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's been quite a number of months since the last time this subject has come up. We're talking back in April or May I think. As I recall the generally consensus at the time was that there would need to be heavy restrictions on allowing an item to be named. Though I don't think we ever came up with solid guidelines? Honestly it's all a blur to me now. One of the old crafting threads I think it was.

There are two possible restrictions that I favor.

1: Items must be of a certain quality.. such as a 'masterwork'.
    2: Item must have "earned" a measure of fame. "Swords are named for the great deeds they do in battle".. I'm more or less of this philosophy.

I probably suggested (in fact I'm sure I have) that weapons (or possibly other items) earn names.. or earn modifications to name "ie <name> the goblin cleaver" to go with any special ability a weapon may acquire by being used a certain way or against certain foes.

Perhaps earning an ability or being used enough could unlock the ability to give it a name.

Here's a possibly interesting idea. For an item to retain a name it must be registered with a government office. Also no non-letters may be included. One problem here is that eventually anyone would be able to name items. Whether they require registration or not. Unless there are very tight restrictions we'll end up with several hundred Stings, Orcrists and Glamdrin's all over the place.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Huh... I looked to see if something like this had been suggested, but couldn't find anything.

I agree that it would need to be masterwork only. It really doesn't make any sense for anything else, and that would preserve it being special, while making Masterwork items that much more valuable.

And while I think the earned fame is being included, I'm not so sure it should be a prerequisite to naming or descriptions.. I think it fits better as part of the crafting. A bonus to the crafters who reach the ability to make masterworks, and to add to their value if they are good with the names/descriptions.

I could see the 'government registration' being required by the crafter of a masterwork... meaning they would have to invest in the item not just have the ability automatically by making a masterwork. That would further restrict, instead of opening it wider.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

So is everybody in the game going to end up having a "famous" sword? How does that work :>

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah the subject didn't get its own thread I don't think. Buried inside one of the very early crafting threads I think.

I hope not.. but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how heavy restrictions would have to be before naming a weapon would be possible.

Taking into account first that not everyone really cares to have a named weapon.. for those who do you run the risk of making it common place and therefore no big deal. On the one hand you want everyone to have a fair shot. On the other you want the feature to be special. I'm not sure you can really do both.

If a crafter capable of producing master level items can name their creations just for being a masterpiece.. then those of us who want a named item will simply commission one to be made. If naming requires some sort of achievement then it's only a matter of time for most players before they have that option to name some of their stuff.

Simply giving an item a name doesn't really need to mean anything though. People give names to their stuffed animals it doesn't make them famous. :) Gaining unique abilities though.. that adds value.. assuming there aren't hundreds or thousands of weapons with the exact same abilities. I do think weapons earning titles though is a decent way to diversify names somewhat.

Now a system by which a weapon can gain fame.. that's an interesting thought. I wonder if there would be interest in a ranking system for items. Like you'd go to the website and see the guild/PvP rankings.. have something similar for weapons and possibly other items. That way weapons really would be famous. Or imagine finding a weapon and being able to look it up in a book of famous blades.

hmm do I sense a new thread coming on here? I'll have to give this some more thought perhaps.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know that you should immediately recognize every weapon you pick up, even if there was some lore about it, juts like you shouldn't immediately recognize the magic properties of a ring or staff. If a weapon did get a title, how would a player finding that weapon know about it? I'm hoping there is item identification in the game. And perhaps anyone could name their own weapon, but only those that gained certain fame could be identified through appraisal by other players.

11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

What I want to see is weapons gaining titles like players do... let me explain this in more depth when I have time but a sample is simple: the title can be used INSTEAD of the weapon name...

Ie: Iron Longsword
    Made by: Violation
    Accolades: Battle of the Kings, Slayed 1000 Deer, Slayed 250 Players.
    Titles Available: The Battleborn of [playername who carried during Battle of the Kings], Iron Deerslayer, Longsword of Heads

I'm not the most creative but you get the idea... so the weapon has it's own story and the player who carries it can add to it's story... this would also increase the value of some weapons that would otherwise be seen as a waste of space and add to the value of collector items... doubt it would be possible but I'd love to see a weapon collect the name of every type of creature it kills and every player it kills... sort of a status thing when you inspect the weapon it could autobuild a stats/story of the weapon.

This could also change the way people interact with you so if you carry a weapon that's named the XXX of Heads it would in turn cause a fearful or negative reaction when you take it out... where The Battleborn of [your playername] would cause NPCs to trust/like you more because you still have your weapon from the famous battle (using this analogy there would need to be game events in the sandbox side and storymode events that could be completed in a specific manner only once so you couldn't farm named weapons).

Lots more thoughts but it's almost 1AM so I'll likely post in more detail later. Cheers!

Golem Dragon likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I myself am very much in favor of a Lore skill but that is worthy of its own thread. :)

I had thought it would be interesting that if a weapon earned multiple titles you could choose which one was displayed in the same manner as a PC.. but it seems a little excessive perhaps? I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.. but I do wonder about naming/title conventions if a weapon is allowed more than 1 kind of bonus from use.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sir Kiron Maedun and smack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.