Active Player Count?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Blackthorne, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well it gives me the fuzzy war feeling i had back in the days when i was reading the eve online pirate forum where everything got out of hand the latest after the second post in a topic ^^
    Non the less: the fact you like it dosen't mean it is no cesspit ;-)

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It's a true gamers forum. No virtue signalling and no pushing political agendas on how a player should act and play.

It's fun

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Actually, for my personal taste, it's far too easy to draw blood there.
    But as i said, that's personal taste.

E n v y likes this.
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Nope, only if there are in-game transactions managed through the Steam overlay (i.e. purchases where it is possible to use your Steam Wallet). Port will be paying a percentage of their transactions to Amazon/PayPal/other payment provider but nothing to Steam.

There is a fee to get listed on Steam, and Steam (reportedly) takes a 30% cut of any purchases made through Steam, but the first is a one-off fee and the second only applies to any purchases of the game itself through Steam.

OK, but since I've never made the claim that other games aren't more popular I'm not sure why you're pursuing this line of reasoning so hard? It's irrelevant to anything I've said. I've given two reasons for why Shroud's Steam player count is low right now, you've yet to give an argument against either of them.

You seem to be wanting to discuss that there exist other games are more popular than Shroud. I don't disagree with you per se, there are definitely games more popular than Shroud, I just don't see how it is relevant to what I said above. That there exist more popular games is not something that should be worrying anyone.

I don't really care how many people are playing other games as long as there are people playing the game I'm playing and, in the long run, that number of people is enough to support the continued development of that game. That number of people doesn't have to be the same number of people that are playing The Witcher 3 or Skyrim, it just has to be enough.

Just to remind you, this is what I originally said in reply to the comment "Should I be worried about those numbers?":

Let me expand that out to be (hopefully) a little more clear: If I thought that the current active player numbers we're reflective of how many players there will be in Autumn and after release then it would be time to be worried, since I believe that currently there are fewer players because it is summer and the game isn't released I am not currently worried. If the numbers are the same in Autumn, after release, then I think it would be time to be worried.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Okay so in my mind the only reason to not link an account is to be able to sell it later. The patch speed negates any other reason.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

They fixed the issues with the launcher download.
    Patches for me (Europe) is now faster through the launcher than through STEAM. Where 6 months ago it used to be the other way around.

7. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I think this comes down to how well your connection and ISP handle bittorrent. Steam also does a good job of keeping games updated in the background without needing to keep an open launcher for each one.

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

For me it depends. Steam has better straight up download speed but, because of the way it handles patching, incremental updates tend to be larger. So Steam wins on days when there has been a Unity upgrade or similar which necessitates downloading the whole game again, but the patcher is usually faster for the rest of the updates.

9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I don't play through steam .... don't want or care to .... it is not for everyone, not my cup of tea ....

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Incorrect,you can only run one instance of Shroud thru Steam at a time. With stand alone accounts,you can run as many as your computer and ISP speed can handle. And with multiple screens,it's very easy. Not everything everyone does has to do with money and selling accounts.

11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You can run one client through Steam and one or more through the launcher, that's what I do.

With accounts linked to Steam you can still use them with the launcher, there are two accounts that are linked - the Port one and the Steam one - you get to the same avatar whether you log in with Steam or by putting your Port username and password in.

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  12. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

You start your alt accounts directly instead of by the steam button. I'm not too concerned with miscounting alts.

As fast as cash I know two people that bought a $20 sale steam account for patching only so they could still sell the real account. In this game assuming something is about money is a safe bet.

13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Agreed,you explained better than I did.

14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm pretty sure you can still sell your account with Portalarium and still link it to Steam. Pretty sure, but I could be wrong.

15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If you link your account to Steam then, in order to sell the account, you have to purchase a $40 game access package because the account cannot be unlinked from Steam. Find this on your account page on the Game Client / Steam tab:

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Ok, just to clarify you can sell it, but it's another $40 to do so, aye?

17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yep. And you will in fact still have an account.

18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I asked to do that a couple months ago and they told me I couldn't. I'm not sure if it's still an option.

19. Wextel

Wextel Avatar

In my opinion the people active playing considering who buy from vendors, considering who post on forum, considering who is active on discord, and considering who list on vendors, considering the lot occupied in towns: 200-500 players on at the same time.

Till r42 that's the one who begun the happy release series as i call it, the active players was 70% more. Now maybe dev figure Always i attack them, but if i say things in a good manner and don't get calculated for about 16 post, messages etc. and the answers aree alway "We know what we are doing" "I know and will not happen what you think" and i can continue but i just stop cause i Always said my problems starts when i open client and finish when i close it.

Anyway the problem of that community is: there are people who are gamers, hardcore gamers who seen, created, worked, cooperated in and on many games and maybe they already seen the same mistakes and results did in the past from other people on other project and so know of what are they talking about, and the other half that just played 2 games in the entire life, UO and this one and so maybe their point of view is a bit restricted and limited but they are listened more and maybe don't have a so big experience of what the world can offer , oh i forget the third kind of people, people who suggest change just to have their own vantage and draw water to their mill.

So one category who still continue play, stay here, invest, move critic "attack" maybe is not doing that cause are haters, but they wont just give up and surrender and continue to try to have their opinion listened from someone.

I don't care if some is offended of what i said, i'm pissed off of diplomacy, and i find meaningless continue to try explain concept to people who are like stones and wall, if a person can't find the difference beetween hard and weird, beetween fun and annoying, beetween medium players psycology and their own what say?! Just GG.

For the moment i will not give up and continue, but don't think with some main mechanich of the game work this way the release will be what most of you expect; Before many of the game change i Always said that game had over a 1 milion player potential, i said that many times to many people, now if the players will be 5k it's good. In September the average number of players will be 400-600, and as Always if like economy choice, if like heat system, if like drops, if like the concept of polished mines, if like all the things i figured out before each time was released goes as i said don't be scared, i'm not Nostradamus, but maybe i know of what i'm talking about., i don't know where devs are aiming cause maybe i'm not enough polite or intelligent to have a talk with me, but as i Always said: "the story will speak for us" (that mean what will happen, like in all past choices will show who is wrong or not).

20. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Just FYI... I've added an estimate here How many people play Shroud of the Avatar?

There are two values in the main chart confirmed players and the other is the estimate.

The confirmed players are unique player names detected in the API and in uploaded receipts to the site.

Many people are anonymous. The estimated number takes the average of the confirmed players per stat and divides the anonymous total by that average. The vast majority of players are anonymous. I'd say 20-25% of players change their API status to show vs hide.

Bom, Jason_M, smack and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.