Active Player Count?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Blackthorne, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I purposely play on Steam to help their metrics. I'm just one person and there is my husband too :) We're very new but dedicated. Love this game SO much. Should I be worried about those numbers?

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There are 33 million daily users on Steam and 67 million monthly users.
    Yes, there are some of the "hardcore" SotA fans who will never link to steam for whatever reason. But obvioulsy Steam ist the most used gaming platform. People use Steam and they use it a lot! Many use it for their latest games, they buy games via Steam, just take a look at the Steam sales.
    If a game is not successful on Steam it is not successful at all. Next to all developers want to be on Steam to reach those 33 million daily users.

33 MILLION DAILY users. And SotA does have what? 90 right now?
    Steam ist extremely important for games and if people tell me that this is not that case and they don't use it because of this or that reason I think this is just ludicrous. Especially here on this forum. Playing SotA via the launcher and not via Steam ist SOOOO much better, there are SOOOOOO many players not using Steam for SotA... No there are not. There are some for sure but SotA doesn't have many players in the first place. The majority would use Steam but as the numbers show, they simply don't play SotA.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The game isn't launched yet, it's summer and many folk are busy with other stuff, I'd say it's too early to be worried. We shall all see how things go come autumn.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Seems to be the case just for SotA. Other games, even new ones, recently released to Early Access even, seem to thrive with many, many players.

Sir Cabirus, Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

What really matter is whether you enjoy the game or not. If the number of active player count plays a major factor to your enjoyment, then game like Dota2 or Counter Strike will definite beat SotA.

nonaware likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Tell that to the main investors and "real" shareholders lol

I'm going to just leave it there.......the South Park Gif image pretty much sums up the majority of the forum........and dig the holes deeper when people disagree lol

Stundorn and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

There are 294 games currently in Early Access on Steam (according to the search feature), how many did you check?

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Of course there are good games and not so good ones/interesting and not so interesting ones...

Yet looking at numbers of The Witcher 3 (more than 20.000 active players), Skyrim (next to 22.000 active players) - to have some rather old games - or Dark and Light (9.500) as well as Playerunknown's Battleground (over 412.000) - to have some Early Access games- shows that even in summer, people are playing games a lot!

So obviously it is no the summer that is affecting the player numbers of games...

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

That doesn't follow form what you've said. You have to demonstrate that the same number of people were playing those games in Autumn in order to make that claim.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But it doesn't change the situation. If more players play games in autumn the numbers fir all other games increase, too.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Player count.

13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

This is what you said:

What situation are you wanting to discuss instead of that?

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They haven't even advertised the game yet. The game can't handle a huge population yet. They are still working on performance and optimizations for more people to get in the game. As things are added to the game they have to do performance passes on items and there is a lot of that still needed done, but while the game is still in such a flux of change it would make them have to do it over and over. So expect this more towards release which should be the end of the year or early 2018. An really no worries. A lot of people don't enjoy playing through development with all the changing and balancing that goes on. We are still missing a lot of basics ;)

Chatele and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

That 62 million is out of an estimated 1.2 billion total PC gamers int he entire world, with only makes up about 5% of all PC gamers. And a large majority of those steam users play FPS style games. SotA isnt even going to attempt to draw int he FPS crowd.

They said there are 500 on average daily with peaks being on weekends as of when thier reddit ama occured. The question was asked, it was answered, and those who aska question, get an answer, and dont believe it are not looking for an answer. They are looking for what they want to hear.

So i wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Vox Aquila likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Nope. As somone who follows the development pretty closely and wouldnt consider the Devs to be liars, i wouldnt worry about it.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

People who use Steam share their experiences within Steam. It has an activity wall, groups and hubs like any social media platform where users share videos, screenshots etc. Sure we need a marketing team for Sota, however there is only so much they can do. Gamers are not dumb (well most of them) and they follow each other and look at the numbers before playing a game.

The only way Steam users are going to notice the game is if people play it on through Steam and share stuff. That's how Steam works. It is the largest, most important and almost required platform for todays PC gamer. Anyone that plays video games besides MMOs knows this. I hate to say this but Steam is very, very important. I understand there are purists out there, however if you really love the game and want it to succeed, I recommend not only playing through Steam but gaining some friends and start sharing your experiences to the population that matters.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  18. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Two things.
    Be careful what you wish for, there may be other negative reviews waiting for Commercial Release.
    There will surely be a call review on steam after Commercial Release and all previous reviews can be discounted as early access.

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Steam is great for people who like to play a lot of different games constantly. Which is something that I very much don't do. Steam is not great for people who play just one MMO game exclusively, unless they really really absolutely don't want to mess with installing and configuring. It's like building a library room for one book.

Remember that if you aren't logging on simply because you see nobody on, then you are part of the problem by not being on. It's a big world designed for a lot more population than we have now, so of course it's going to look empty until the advertising push begins.

Also, the economy has been dead for a few months, then suddenly picked up shortly after the telethon. By that I mean that people stopped buying from my Kingsport vendor at all months ago, then it suddenly went nuts. I have more IGG right now than I've had since R35, and that's after buying a few things too. (R33 was persistence) There are still a few days left, I might even break my R34 record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.