Admittedly A Mushroom Dream, But A Dream Nonetheless

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Ushimimi, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I have been waiting for a game like this to come along for decades. SotA has already fulfilled a bunch of my hopes and dreams for a multiplayer RPG - for all its merits and flaws, it is forever a keystone title in my game library.

In any case, I understand that my wants are generally unpopular when it comes to character design. Not many people give a toot for my aesthetic or my game design choices. I guess that's why I'm playing and not making; my Unreal Engine creations are likely to stay alone on my hard drive in the dark. :3 But anyways...

I want to be a pixie.

I want to be tiny and luminous and to hover around casting healing and support spells on my friends. I want to be the Tinkerbell to their Peter, the Navi to their Link, or the...I dunno. What was the faerie from Seiken Densetsu 3? Was she just "fairy?" I want to be that. I want to be a little fluttery pink torch, I want to zip around towering forests and dank corridors and keep my magic aura settled comfortably on my bigger, more heroic tallfolk friends while they crack skulls and save damsels. At the end of the adventure, I want to settle in on the table amidst a pile of their hard-earned gold coins and share stories of our victory.

As a proud member of the Ferngully generation, I've got this desire deep in my glittery, nature-loving bones.

Everquest 2 came close with their fae races, but Everquest 2 has the precise aesthetic of hot garbage and high-level gameplay to match. Istaria (sweet, sweet Istaria) actually hit the mark, but nobody was there to see it and it is just too old now to function. Even Adventure of Link gave me a tiny taste of it (and flying through keyholes was a nice touch.)

In none of these could I say...use my nature magic to improve somebody's crops, or enhance a bard's show with my illusions or my light. No other game has been brave enough to commit as hard as SotA to the less glorious side of a fantasy world - the farmhands and the crafters and the designers. Think of all the old stories - fairy tales! - where a member of the fair folk helped a cobbler or a minstrel.

That is my class fantasy. That's the immersive experience I want. It's so far from anything on the market and I am ninety-nine percent sure that basically nobody else wants it.

Still...I've gotta put it out there and try! :3 I hope (if you read this far) that you can see what I am getting at. Consider leaving out some milk and honey for me - I'd be a great addition to your party!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Ushimimi. Well I like your style. I have seen some interesting characters in shrouds even tho at the moment character creation is limited at this point of development. I can imagine a fae look. We do have wings and sparkle dyes and even an artifact that turns skin green. I know more is coming. I wish you many happy times. I am Majoria in the game if I can help.

Time Lord, Hornpipe, Brugas and 2 others like this.
  3. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Thank you very much for the kind words, Majoria! I'm an absolute newbie here - my roommate bought us copies of the game earlier tonight after I showed him around the trial and we were both very excited to start playing.

The community is really stellar here. I'm looking forward to finding my footing! I'm Gemma Linderon in game. I would welcome any company at pretty much any time ^_~

FrostII, Time Lord, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes @Usimimi I would love to meet and share. I will soon be out of town visiting my mother but I willl also call out to my great friend who I'm sure would love to meet you too. Calling @Luca Xante ;) I hope to meet you one day soon. :)

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Luca Xante like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to SotA @Ushimimi !

I hope you find what you are looking for here in New Britannia. Over in the village of Dara Brae we celebrate all things nature and even have a Nature Reserve. Dara Brae is on the Hidden Vale off the coast where Kingsport is. Come check us out and if I can be of any service to you, please let me know.

Duke Greagoir Pendragon
    Druids and Bards of Dara Brae

6. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome @Ushimimi !!!

I might have sent my welcomes earlier via PM but I do so also here publicly too ;)

Aww, thank you @majoria70 for your kind words :)

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Ushimimi like this.
  7. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I am there now! Your home is lovely and seems really peaceful.

FrostII, Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  8. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, all of you :3 I hope I can find my place in the new world!

FrostII, Time Lord, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  9. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Welcome to SotA. I wasn't going to add anything because Majoria hit the nail on the head with her first post but I remembered something. If you get your hands on some fairy wings, they tend to glow as well at night. Very pretty on the overworld map. My wife is the same way, she loves glittery and pretty stuff. There are two fairy-type sets you can get afaik... the autumn one with leaf wings and matching suit and the more traditional one.
    Good luck and have fun.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome! That was an original first post! We don't often get people asking to be a Pixie. :)

Hornpipe likes this.
  11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Heck yeah!

13. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Would you settle for being a Kobold

Hrrrk HrrrK Hsssskkkkk

14. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I have to confess it's an uncommon desire. I think it's unlikely anyone in a development capacity will see it and say "My god, this idea is a goldmine!"

Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  15. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Did you know? Navi isn't actually working for the goddesses of Hyrule at all. She just has a very long, very expensive shopping list.

Time Lord, Cordelayne and Hornpipe like this.
  16. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Well I'll settle for -you- being a kobold. I'll ride around on your head and maybe you can shrink down and visit my mushroom hut ^_~

Time Lord, Cordelayne and Hornpipe like this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think it is a goldmine. No real competition, a niche that probably isn't so niche (lots of popular fairie folk in popular culture.)

But it probably won't happen for a bit.

Time Lord, Ushimimi and Hornpipe like this.
  18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

In order to support your companion, you should learn life and moon skills, at least. Healing him, mesmerize his opponents, use fireflies on them, charm the animals, being stealthy... It's a good start, I guess.

19. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Finally, somebody gets me xD

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Luca Xante like this.
  20. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

Long live the Pixies!

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.