Adventurer now gets a different title

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KaziQ, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The dev blog access was for $60 and higher for KS backers. Have you linked your KS account yet?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It would take way too much effort to explain in detail, but let me try to help.
    When the pledge tiers were first introduced in kickstarter, they were not really in proper order.
    The devs listened to the backers and corrected the orders, but having sold pledges with certain titles before the revamp, they couldn't take them out.
    That's why some of the pledge tiers have oddball ranks, and some are out of correct order.

And, Lord isn't really a rank title in the real world. It's kind of a form of address. But it's been given rank in this game.

Jatvardur likes this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

support@portalarium.com

Or maybe community@portalarium.com

4. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think this is completely accurate. Lets use the Benefactor Baron 2 & 3 as an example. The highest title this benefactor is permitted is Viscount. Count is a title reserved for Founders of the lower teir. Can a Benefactor use a Founder's title?

5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

No. Benefactors can only use Benefactor titles. Founders can only use Founder titles.

6. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Again, this points out how flawed this title structure is. Viscounts paid more money, but can't use the higher title of Count.

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Indeed.

No, they would not. Founders are essentially ranked higher than a Benefactor and it is no longer possible to become Founder. I think it actually is correct, after looking at it some.

8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Unfortunately, it has less to deal with real-world titles and more to deal with when the person backed. Count is reserved for people who backed the game as a founder at the $3000 level and higher due to the reasons that Sir Frank mentioned.

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Not to sound pompous but I recall looking over the titles pre- and post- the changes and they were loigical and pretty much in line with my suggestion for titles. I did some research and then mapped out (at length) how the titles should transform. I think my transformation of titles was logical and followed the historical heirarchy, that said, I actually made a possible mistake which the devs fixed. If you say that you've found a further mistake then I'm surprised because I spent a lot of time working on them and was happy with the devs final results.

One slight caveat is that the original pledge level titles were not renamed but the in-game titles are. The title of Baron was determined to be historically lower than Lord, which is why the in-game title of Baron has been changed to reflect this. The in-game title of Baron is the lowst of the noble titles, which is why Lords are now both Lords and Barons while the Baron pledgers are Counts and Barons.

I'm checking the link to be sure I'm not bullshitting myself. A few examples:

A founder LOTM is a Grand Duke, and from my research that is correctly higher than the benefactor LOTM who is an ArchDuke. [logically true, IMO]
    A founder Baron 1 is a Count, while a benefactor Baron 1 is a Viscount. [ditto]
    A founder Baron 2 is an Earl, while a benefactor Baron 2 is a Viscount. This may be slightly contentious but it suggests that a founder Baron 1 is a higher level (in-game) than a benefactor Baron 2. As this doesn't affect me I'm not going to be the first to fight it.
    A Baron 3 is something I'm not entirely sure about because (AFAIK) the devs haven't specificed how titles work for them. I presume a founder B3 = a founder B2 (due to pledge amount). While a benefactor B3 = a benefactor B2 = a benefactor B1 = a Viscount. (That's my intepretation and makes sense)

High Baron was the original suggested title for a B2 after the B2s QQ'd ( ;-) ). However, this title is now a founder Lord, while the benefactor Lord is simply a Baron.

LoneStranger and Koldar like this.
  10. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Only a couple weeks ago:
    • Baron 1-Founder had the options of Count or Baron. That was it. Now it doesn't list any titles for this tier.
    • Baron 2 and 3-benefactor was given the title of Viscount which is a title lower than that of the a less expensive tier.
    • Baron 2 and 3-Founder had the option to use the titles of Earl or Baron. Baron is also lower than what the Lord tier option of High Baron.

Again this was two weeks ago so these Founder titles are still in play, they just aren't being distributed anylonger.

11. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

That pledge level is sold out but it isn't cause for concern imo. The titles are now "fixed" until officially announced otherwise.

I think you need to re-read my above post, again with all respect, these concerns have been covered.

Yes, a benefactor B2 / 3 is getting a lower title than a founder B1. Yes, there is some contention there. I've already pointed that out. I'm not overly worried as it is roughly accepted that a B2 is mostly equivalent to a B1. The difference is almost historic now and was due to KS limitations. Hence my above equivalence relation between benefactor B1 /2 / 3.

Where there is not direct equivalence is that of founders. As founder B2/3s are equivalent to each other but not to a B1. This asymmetry is only a mild concern, imo.

Founder pledging has already ended. Existing founders can, of course, upgrade and receive founder benefits of the higher tiers. Sorry, if that's telling grandma to suck eggs but just making sure we are on the same page.

To re-iterate the in-game Baron title is lower than the in-game Lord title. An Earl can be a Count, a Lord or Baron as they desire. They have access to all those titles.

A Lord can be a Lord or a Baron but not a Count.

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I still see these titles on the home page under Baron.

13. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Hmmmm...on my end the only thing under Baron is "** Estimated game delivery: Oct. 2014 **".

14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Count Napoli, are you signed in on the main SotA site? I've had some problems before where I was signed into the forums but not the main site.

Also, are you a founder or benefactor? They may be limiting what benefactor's can see on the rewards. Since Baron was not available to benefactors, it would make sense that it is completely empty if you are a benefactor.

15. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I see that too but I'm not logged in when I see that. Haven't logged in to check but I have full faith in the devs to not completely wipe the B1 pledge level. :)

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Here is what I see, mind you I am not a Baron level backer, just a founder:
    Code:
    Includes All Rewards from LORD Level!

(Property deeds and duplicated rewards limited to 1 per pledge)

REWARDS

Exclusive Founder Rewards:
    (* Exclusive Early Founder Rewards are only available to Backers who pledged any amount by May 20, 2013)
    Early Founder Tier Price: $3,000
    Rent free, City Level Property Deed, transferable between players.
    A special, commission free Vendor!
    Your in-game avatar will receive the honorific title of “Count” and "Baron" to be proudly displayed in gold colored font for all to see (title visibility controlled by player).
    A uniquely identifiable Founder's, waterfront Frigate, fit for a Baron, floating on the water, attached to your City property by a bridge (**City waterfront lots available to City property deed holders; early founders and higher value pledges have lot selection priority **)
    Available only to early backers, be the envy of the neighborhood with your upscale, Early Founder Baron's home!
    A 2-Story, City Stone Basement
    Your very own, unique, Founder's house servant, appropriate to your stature as a Baron!
    Two Expert level crafting stations for your home, uniquely identifiable as Founder's crafting stations.
    A unique piece of furniture, fit for a Baron, identifiable as a Founder's piece, as a digital, in-game decoration for your house.
    Get your very own, unique Founder's house pet, to lavish you with adoration every time you return home!
    Town Hall group video conference with Richard "Lord British" Garriott! (one video conference per group; groups up to 10)
    Printed City Property Deed, hand signed by Richard "Lord British" Garriott
    Special Founder Level plaque as a digital, in-game decoration for your house

**  Estimated game delivery: Oct 2014  **

17. grnarrow

grnarrow Avatar

Confusingly, the term Founder can mean two different things: someone who pledged before a certain date, as well as a level of pledge ($65 currently, $60 for those who pledged during the early Founder phase). The Founder Forum is for people who are pledged at the founder level or higher, not for those who pledged any amount early. If that makes sense.

18. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

Thanks Koldar. I wasn't logged in apparently so I couldn't see the Founders rewards for any of the pledges. I could only see the Benefactor's rewards which Baron 1 doeasn't have since they were all sold out prior to the end of Kickstarter.

Koldar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.