Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Aesthetic with housing please.. Eventually it's not crucial to the game

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by WindSilvermoon, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

Okay so, I started with an itty-bitty row home and it's not to bad, i expect it to be sort of run down, with a little trace of abuse, and that was cool. However when I go up to what is billed as an UPSCALE eldeman house, that could be cute.. if it didn't have what looks like black mold growing all over it... In fact all the Eldemans, Look cute but upon further inspections look like the farmers just left them go moved away and forgot about them,Same with boats, and even some of the baron houses have really awful looking walls, I'm sorry but I would assume that Barons and higher would have workers constantly fixing these places, Now yes now days they would look run down, however in there time, we are in there time right? They would of been gorgeous, it makes no sense to have such detail in the wood work, beautiful designs etc, and then ruin it with Shoddy walls and what looks like mold. I know that most the devs are guys, could you all please take a look at some Housekeeping weekly? There are servants wouldn't they be up-keeping the houses? I don't care that they look like this now but could I at least be promised some paint or a way to fix this? Wallpaper ftw? :)
    Also please please could the bed sheets match? and not look like a color blind bachelor put it together? May I be so bold as suggest looking at any bedding place and looking under the words Victorian style, or country style for ideas on how bedding should look match etc? Maybe my OCD is just a little off here but it does so make me wish for some rubber gloves and some bleach every time I'm in game. Or a really good Tailor that sells matching bed sheets to fix the issue :)
    I really hope there isn't a post that already addresses this, and I don't offend anyone. I love everything in game, and like i said it's not crucial at all.. it's like just minor details that I think would make game player better.
    Thanks and Happy Adventuring :)

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL yes I agree about the bedding. Also reguarding the edlemann houses they are not my favorite. I have preferred the row houses over them which you should have gotten, but I'm not sure how it works for stacking deeds. You'd probably know if you had a row house in your bank. Since there was a row lot and deed at navigator or developer level that you passed. For land though you would do better with the edelmann when farming comes in if you want to farm. We are getting placeable walls, not sure how they will work, but hopefully we'll get some customization for our houses with that coming in. Welcome to Shrouds, well you have been here a little while, but in case I didn't say hello before. :)

3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

You make a good point WindSilvermoon! 'Upscale' is clearly in the description of the homes you mention,
    "Unique, upscale, German Early Founder Edelmann's home",
    "Available only to early backers, be the envy of the neighborhood with your upscale, Early Founder Baron's home!";

The Edelmann cottages are certainly small enough to upkeep ourselves, and the Baron's have servants for sure.

It would be nice if we could choose between a couple textures for all our walls. I know Founder Knights were pretty split down the middle as to liking the cleaner vs. ancient looking castle homes. Hopefully someday we'll be able to choose individually what we prefer, adding great realistic variety to the house models.
    ;-)
    Thanks for bringing this up! Input like this is worth looking into, and will only serve to make the game better.

4. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

It's not Eldeman, but a German word - Edelmann (who would be a low ranked noble).
    But well, these upscale homes for the lower level pledges seem to miss one important thing more than design in my opinion: it is space inside the house.
    Now with row level houses spanning multiple floors these "upscale" homes are even more scaled down. At least the row homes are included in the higher pledges and can also be placed on a village plot.

Athanil, majoria70 and WindSilvermoon like this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

I always felt like the Edelmann home should have a loft. Now that we have usable ladders in the game, I see no reason not to add a loft.
    Hopefully once the structural systems like ladder climbing are completed, they'll revisit the original house designs. The Tower Homes could use some ladder love to access the upper balconies as well..

Spoon likes this.
  6. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

This is funny to me because I watched the episode of King of the Hill yesterday when Hank was shocked to find that he had mold growing inside his walls. LOL

7. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

My biggest problem with all the houses I've seen is that the dimensions of the rooms are weird and the architecture of many of the larger buildings just doesn't look realistic. So many of the houses just have all these tiny little rooms, which just kind of break with some of the common wisdom in game design that states that in a third person game interior spaces are always somewhat "larger than life", because when the camera gets shoved too close they start feeling extremely cramped and claustrophobic, which is what I find is happening in SotA.

The biggest thing that bugs me though is the weird architecture. Some of the buildings are really cool, and look like they make sense, but a lot of the really big castle-ish ones look like they would just collapse in a stiff breeze. They have these extremely thin walls, no vaults in the ceilings, interior structures that aren't supported on the floors below etc. I mean, yea, it's sort of a magical world and it wouldn't be super fun to have most of your house taken up by buttresses and huge walls, but I grew up with castles in Europe, and they just don't look like that. A 4 story medieval building with a stone wall has walls that are easily 3 feet thick, and not to make it armored, but simply because that's what it takes to build a wall that high from stone. Even a pure brick and mortar building is going to have massive pillars built into its walls to hold the upper floors and the roof up. It's not until people started building steel core buildings that you could get away with building anything taller than 2 stories that doesn't have significantly thicker walls at the bottom than the top.

Athanil, Miracle Dragon and selbie like this.
  8. selbie

selbie Avatar

Pretty much this. They need to do a structural overhaul of all of the buildings (within engine and staff limits of course) to make them seem more life-like. Some of the spans on structural members are a little too "magical" :p

9. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

So I was taking photo's for Wind as she prepared this post. Sorry for not having these up sooner good Sir's and Madam's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Duke Olahorand

Not very upscale, but a somewhat realistic look for the medieval time.

11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yes, even the baron house has some walls that need paint :)
    [​IMG]

Duke Lorimus likes this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

The Lord Marshal Home has a trim issue too on the back porch area, it just looks bad compared to the other trim in the house to me.

[​IMG]

Here's the bottom trim in the house that looks pretty good, though the gaps in the design I'm not a fan of, it looks better than the above one though.
    [​IMG]

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. Miracle Dragon

All those 'imperfections' are what make the homes feel realistic, lived in, and they add character. The citizen home is not an 'upscale home, so I wouldn't change it at all..

But most importantly, I think everyone has there own opinion about what aesthetics are pleasing to them. So for our player housing, I am an advocate for 'choice!'

Until that choice comes, we'll just have to assume our 'upscale homes just happen to be a couple hundred years old.. I like the 'lived in' 'been around' look. It makes it feel like it belongs.

14. Duke Olahorand

says who?
    From the pledge description:
    Founder: "Available only to backers, be the envy of the neighborhood with your upscale Early Founder Citizen's home, uniquely identifiable as a Founders Citizen house!"
    Benefactor: "A unique, upscale, Benefactor Citizen's home (available only to pre-launch backers)"

*Salute*
    Olahorand

Lord Baldrith and Miracle Dragon like this.
  15. Miracle Dragon

Ah ha! Nice catch. Thanks Duke Olahorand. I hope the Devs take their item descriptions seriously, seeing as how most of the things we buy in the item store are based purely on faith in the descriptions.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

Let's not forget the trees that come right through your walls and move with the imaginary in-house breeze--nothing like a little greenery to brighten up a room. I was looking forward to planting a small amount of crops in my backyard someday. I figured that landed gentry, such as a Lady Marshall, would have the benefit of space to farm. Instead my mansion is so huge that I have to back my Avatar against the wall in order to place a grave marker on my land. The whole idea of being wealthy with a title means that you should be able to go into your backyard butt-naked and cuss at the top of your lungs without anyone seeing or hearing you. What I got is a McMansion in suburbia. I actually upgraded from Lord to get more space for my house. What did I get instead? A surprise gift of a newly-designed Lady Marshall house that is so large that I am now right back where I started. I know they will solve these problems. These people are very experienced creating games, but sometimes we just need to vent some steam until things get better. I do know one thing. I will not upgrade again because they will find a way to enlarge my house again. I know that I can just use one of the smaller homes, but it is still irritating that I have to. But I still enjoy the game and especially the people.

Duke Lorimus likes this.
  17. Miracle Dragon

Perhaps it would have been better for each upper-level pledge tier to get its own house-type 'theme' rather than a particular house. So a knight gets the Knight's keep 'themed' house, which has a variant for each lot type. The Lord gets an almost gothic church like 'themed' house, which has a variant for each lot size, etc. etc. So as a baron, you can enjoy a village-sized 'summer retreat' house theme rather than the giant city-lot sized one, because there would be a version for each lot type.

I noticed based on Steven's original concept sketches, having various sizes of each type for every lot size was in the original plans.

Lord Baldrith, Net and Duke Lorimus like this.
  18. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Some real good points here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.