Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ambient light from torches removed?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by scroda, May 5, 2016.

?

Did you like the ambient light provided by torches until recently(patch 410)?

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. yes

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. don't care

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

This was in R28 instructions:
    410 patch notes
    I'm interested in the bit about "increased the overall brightness of the scene", because I liked it. In 410, the "fix" seems to mean "removed"? I'm not sure what the intent is or was, but I liked the ambient light. Is it a bug on my end?

Did you like the ambient light?

Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and Spoon like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes

Calusari, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Torches still provide a small increase to ambient light but it almost unoticable. Id be fine with them bumping it up just a hair, so that its still hard to see but the effect is noticable

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I didn't play enough to try it out. I think the light created by torches in previous releases wasn't satisfying enough, but I still think even with a torch, you should have blind spots. Night should have its dangers, and also Night Vision should have its benefits over a light source. Its something they have to find a good balance on.

They really need to add durability loss to torches, though, while maintaining some reason to use torches over magic; whether that means attaching reagents to first-tier magic (what I prefer), or something else. I want to be able earn gold in the game as a provisioner, selling things like torches, lanterns, bags, rations, lockpicks. All of this is really nil in the game right now. As far as torches are concerned, nobody ever needs to buy a new torch, because their old one never burns out. And if it did, players would just use a Light spell.

Though, concerns like that are all the more reason why torch lighting has to be balanced to a point where people can be satisfied with the light output.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THIS is what they meant by "fix". I think you can tell what I voted on your poll.

Spoon and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's a No Win Scenario... Half you peeps don't like it, and half do... I don't care...

7. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

Thanks I see it now. Sorry for my Assumption everyone.

I see, that is a BIG difference. Mine was more like it was lit up by a full moon.

I hope I didn't come off as sounding negative with the "'s in my first post, that wasn't my intent.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

You sounded more inquisitive than anything, so it's all good. If I sounded a bit snarky it's because there were already some heated discussions on whenever or not night scenes were too bright or too dark. Which is less about tastes and more about calibration from the devs and people's monitors.

Ironically, I'm in the "too dark" side of the argument... but what the torch (and to my understanding, the light cloak as well) was doing in R28 was just ridiculous. "Ambient" light wasn't helping the ambience at all :p

As you can tell from the first screenshot (from R28), lights barely light anything in the scene... I didn't play at nighttime long enough in R29 to see if they adjusted that too. It'd be nice if they give a little bit more light on a small radius.

scroda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.