Announcing SotA Con at Gen Con 2015!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caveloot.com Owner, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

Fantastic! Please join us for dinner if you are able to!

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

control, passion, diligence ... nice mantras :D

3. Sayumi

Sayumi Avatar

Dude I am in Cali. Too far to drive :(

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  4. stile

stile Avatar

Ill admit, I wouldnt do that trip for Gencon and a dinner hangout!

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

But not too far to fly ! I hope to run some Pathfinder sessions with just the right folks when I'm there :)

6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Only a few days left!!! :D See you guys soon! :D

7. stile

stile Avatar

Blown away by it being here already.

8. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Is anyone interested in Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicle books? I have Spring Dawning, Autumn Twilight, Summer Flame, and Winter Night. They were sent to me for the HOB 24 hour telethon thing. They are in NEW condition. I get through a lot of books but typically through Audible while driving so a physical book is just more stuff in my house. I'll bring them to give away if there is a request below. In the case that more than one person wants them, I'll use a saw and cut them into equal pieces and distribute them evenly.

9. stile

stile Avatar

Id love them if no one else does. Huge fan and i own a physical library. :)

licemeat likes this.
  10. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Alright, they are yours. Just noticed they are autographed too. That's a bonus, eh?

If Rustic Dragon is reading this for some reason: Thanks for the books. I will put them into the hands of someone who will appreciate them more than me.

11. stile

stile Avatar

Indeed! Thank you. They will be cared for and appreciated!

Sir Frank likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Someone who is a veteran of this post some suggestions on what to do since I'm going to be going into this completely blind

13. stile

stile Avatar

A lot of factors. PErsonal preference, how long are you going to be there, etc...

Since I am only going to have a day I will spend it mostly in the vendor exhibits. Which means I dont need to sign up for anything.

Make sure you get your badge online ahead of time. the lines for door badges are brutal.

I really like the auction that runs most of the event, which is selling stuff people contribute. it does not require you to sign up, just show up and register on site for a number.

There are cosplay shows if you like that..

For food i go to the food trucks lined up outside the streets.

the big thing to do in advance, is if your going to sign up for games or events. there will be stuff you can just drop in on, but some requires a cost or limited attendance. If that interests you I recommend anything Tracy Hickman puts on. Outside of that the best way is to go to gencon page and go to the events and browse them and start building a schedule. I don't go very often for more then a day so do not often do events.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm running out of time lol

I'm staying in an area hotel and am taking the shuttle in every day for 4 days.

I'm hoping to find people who would want to play a "retro-classic revamp" of Rappan Athuk - Pathfinder version. Thinking mid level characters 10-15 or so levels and just see how far they can make it. Might even be fun to do a high level run at it as well.

The other thing I'd like to do is try out the Deluxe Box Set of Numenara. The one with the Rubber Game mat and that gorgeous Cloth Map. Good Cloth Maps are so worthy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  15. stile

stile Avatar

As for running something you can go to the gencon site and create an event. Im not sure what the deadlines are and things of that nature. Thought about an event for this meet, but haven't as the restaurant venue really serves as that :)

If you cant find anyone running the game your wanting to try as an event(not familiar with that one!), find the game company publisher and they typically will demo and play all their stuff with people.

16. stile

stile Avatar

If there are any last minute updates, problems, concerns, etc.. I will post them on the fAcebook event page.

Anyone that is willing to keep in touch via text or phone if necessary, if you send me your number ill add it to my "send text to if there's updates" list.

Additionally anyone that wants a phone number from me, please drop me a pm and ill provide you with it so you can contact me. Ill try to keep an eye on the facebook page during the event though so you can also post there (wont be as fast though).

If you need the facebook event page, its in the first post of this thread.

During the event, please do not post here or send me a PM. Call me, text me, or post on the facebook event page. If you absolutely need another way of contact please let me know and well set something up! I learned from last year in which I just tried to keep an eye on everything.. it worked (mostly) but it was extremely difficult for me. As such this year I want to establish pre-defined methods. I'll be using the ones stated ONLY unless someone notifies me they need another option.

17. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I keep getting
    "Sorry, this content isn't available right now." for the Facebook link. Do I need to friend or like something first?

18. stile

stile Avatar

odd that, but here you go
    https://www.facebook.com/events/846526838737100/

I updated the OP also!

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

BOOM ... we're leaving in two hours. SotAcon HERE WE COME! :cool: I mean GenCon 2015 that was overrun by SotA people... but what's the difference! :D

Gaelis likes this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Best thing to do with finding stuff to do is to not burn yourself out. Do what you want but be flexible. There are 100s of vendors that sit at their tables just waiting to play games with you. There are 100s of tables set up that you can play games (register for events on the website) with other people. There are early release games that you can test. There are trinket and keepsake vendors for things that don't seem like they belong... so... shopping, hanging, gaming. That's the name of the weekend. Basically, have fun and bring some extra cash :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.