Announcing the return of shroudofthevatar.net!

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by that_shawn_guy, Sep 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Not everyone will remember but this site had some interesting features that allowed you to review all of your vendor receipts, review in-game events via the API, hold contests and generally just share data with one another.

The benefits of the receipt system were many fold. For one, you could review your own transactions and build a better view of exactly who was buying what and when. Other players could see this too, if you shared your data, yes, you don’t have to share with others to get the first benefit. However, if you do, you get to advertise your vendors and prices wherever they are in Novia and it’s available from the simple search under the navigation menu.

Speaking of search, you can search for player’s vendors, player kill stats, monster kills stats (even Frost Giant kills), total players in-game, and even loot stats. Type the name of an in-game friend, town, NPC that must die or coveted item and we hope you’ll find it!

We, myself and Zealot2 (Zealot in-game), have worked quite a while to get this site running. Zealot has been working on the legacy website, and I have been making the data available via my archive. It’s been fun seeing it come back to life and remembering all the cool things you could do. However, we won’t stop there! There are many improvements to be had and lots of ways we want to engage with you the SOTA community.

Roadmap:
    • Welcome back raffle - we'll be offering prizes for your massive backlogs of receipt data. You can upload it using the vendor tool. Read about the vendor tool here
    • Monthly receipt raffles - we will resume monthly raffles for receipt data
    • API data contests - contests based on the api data
    • Add more API data
      • Make it easier to find where items sell. Now, it’s a little clumsy, we’d like for an item’s page to list all of the zones where items have sold, so you have some clue where they have sold and for how much.
      • Better town stats - the page should discuss the players in the town not just the items sold there.
      • API additions - crafting! Get a view of what’s being crafted and destroyed!
      • API additions - Fishing! Well, you can’t see much other than how many casts were made LOL… we’ll take a look and share it!
      • API additions - Agriculture! I know… it’s crafting, but you know farmers are weird. Just what the hell ARE they growing???
      • API additions - Brewing! Hiccup…
      • API additions - I think we can see what items are just being stolen in the NPC towns. We’ll be adding that to the loot tables. Now, it’s just what you grab off of dead mobs.
    • Bugs….
      • Search will show duplicate results and that needs to be cleaned up.
    • Performance
      • There have been some very odd bottlenecks on the API pages and we’re working to resolve those. Some have already been removed so you won’t even know they were there. They were odd though. Simple things were just painfully slow. Drupal… you are weird.

That’s it for now! We just got to a point where we wanted to say “hey, we’re back!” It’s been a lot of work, but I think it's well worth it.

2. Fairy Nuff

Fairy Nuff Avatar

Very pleased you are resurrecting this, thank you. I still have an account but wondered if I need to do anything else Xak Xarras

FrostII, Avatars Radio and Zealot2 like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Receipts uploaded :)

@that_shawn_guy Could you take a look at my profile page? I suspect the apostrophe in my avatar's name is preventing the page details from loading.

FrostII, Zealot2 and that_shawn_guy like this.
  4. Zealot2

Zealot2 Avatar

Doh - most likely! I will take a look.

FrostII and Lained like this.
  5. that_shawn_guy

You mean other than upload your recipes everyday??? :)
    You should be good to go.

6. Zealot2

Zealot2 Avatar

@Lained you should be good to go - thank you for reporting this!

FrostII, Lained and that_shawn_guy like this.
  7. Lained

Lained Avatar

Looks good, cheers!

FrostII and Zealot2 like this.
  8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

fantastic news. thank you for your efforts to get this online! it was a resource that has been greatly missed.

9. Avatars Radio

We're announcing this vital tool every hour this week during NEWS ON THE HOUR on Avatars Radio! Thanks for all the effort @that_shawn_guy and @Zealot2

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Why are the videos and announcements of raffles from 2020 still on that page?

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Given that I seem to still have an account there, I would presume those videos and announcements from 2020 are there because the site has been put back up in the same state it was in when it was taken down in 2020. If you're asking why they weren't removed when the site went live again, I would guess because there's no particular reason to remove old news just because it's old.

12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The login is a completely new password and has nothing to do with the user or forum account?

13. Lained

Lained Avatar

shroudoftheavatar.net is a player created resource and not affiliated in anyway with Portalarium/Catnip/SotA, do not use the same credentials for both.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, there we go. Yes, I meant I still had an account there there because I'd made one back in the day. Didn't t occur to me the questioner was unaware it was a fan site.

Lained and FrostII like this.
  15. Zealot2

Zealot2 Avatar

https://shroudoftheavatar.net/topSellers has been updated

It defaults to 30 days history and you can choose 30, 60, 90, 180, 365 days and all time. Phil... phil is VERY busy!

Thank you for uploading your receipts and sharing your data publicly! We will make it worth your while, except for Phil. He's disqualified :D

Edit: and so am I of course!

Edit: fixed that janked up link

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Tirrag and that_shawn_guy like this.
  16. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  17. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Yep, same here. Think it's my fault, uploaded 3 years of data ;)

Avatars Radio and that_shawn_guy like this.
  18. that_shawn_guy

Should be fixed now. Was not caused by an accidental work-in-progress code to production issue. Not at all. Was solar flairs...or something....

vulcanjedi, Zealot2 and Tirrag like this.
  19. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

thank you! now i can marvel again at just how much gp i have spent on kobold essence these last few months :eek:

20. Zealot2

Zealot2 Avatar

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    Tirrag likes this.