Another question about names...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracker, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracker

Tracker Avatar

I asked this in another thread awhile back, and I'm not sure anyone knew the answer...so I'll post here.

If I choose to only use a first name during creation, will I be given the option of adding a last name later on, without having to reroll? I would prefer to only use a first name at first, but then perhaps later add a lastname...without having to reroll to do so.

If anyone has some insight on this, or perhaps a response from a Dev, that would be great.

Thanks everyone,
    Tracker

Audacity, Ellrynn, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I will bump this, and add to this (because it involves last names) is the option of changing your last name later on due to weddings, whatever. So....

1. Can we add a last name if we create a character with first name only?
    2. Can we change our last name later?

Tracker and Audacity like this.
  3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Do not lawyer me, but i know this was answered a long time ago, do not have a link.

Chosing a last name will be part of the storyline, so you should indeed be able to chose a last name even thought you didnt do it at character Creation. chosing a last name directly was supposed to be an early access reward. I do not know if this has changed.

Second question from @Mykll , You will not be able to change the last name unless they add some kind of name change token.

Eh, yeah, this is just what have been said earlier, and i dont know if its still accurate.

Tracker and Mykll like this.
  4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

That's the last I heard as well. There would be a quest in Brittany in which you could register a last name. As for changing it, I haven't heard anything.

Tracker and Mykll like this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The known naming rules as posted by DarkStarr are:
    These are the naming rules as of today. We reserve the right to change them in the future.
    • Names must be unique. They can be unique singular first names or a unique combination of a first and a last name.
    • Last names are not mandatory
    • If your first character has a last name all additional characters will share that last name
    • Last names will not be exclusive
    • If you first character does not have a last name additional characters can have last names but those names must be identical to each other (i.e. character 2's last name must be the same as character 3's last name).
      • NOTE: We are considering that when you add additional characters and if your first character does not have a last name we might require you to choose one at that time.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...and-2nd-and-3rd-characters.54479/#post-592590

As you can see, your question about adding a last name at a later date is not definitively answered.

The original plan letting early backers receive a last name before other players has been dropped to my knowledge. I think the reason was because so many players who were active in the pre-alpha phase expressed their concern over the possible loss of the character name they had been using for several months/years. So the devs decided to accede to the community's wishes and said that the last character name you used before the final wipe would be reserved for your use only. You only lose your right to the name if you delete your character and name the new one something else.

I didn't know that, but since everyone can now choose both a first and last name when creating their avatar, I don't think it would be a significant addition to the story to let people select a last name later on. I wouldn't be surprised if this were no longer part of the story line, but it is only a guess on my part.

Tracker likes this.
  6. Tracker

Tracker Avatar

Thank you all for your replies. I may just decide to give my first character a last name now since it is uncertain if one can be added later. I was just curious if it was something we could add later on into the story or not.

Hmm...this is interesting. I was under the assumption that the last name would be unique to the account, and not just the combination of first and last names. So if I'm understanding this correctly, I could have a character named John Smith, and someone on another account could have a character named Bob Smith...and that is acceptable?

It's fine with me, though I must have misunderstood how this all was going to work. :p

Thanks everyone for the help,
    Tracker

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Yes. :)

Solazur and Tracker like this.
  8. Nomad2

Nomad2 Avatar

The name change option would be good, but I'd also settle for the ability to display either just your first name or last name. Names just seem funky when the first and last name is displayed at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.