Anyone else think house vendors look gross??

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Robby, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

I always thought going to vendor malls full of a bunch of dummies that you double click on to see a backpack full of whats for sale really made the game setting kinda messy. I always wished there could be one vendor in a house that looked more like an actual shop rather than a bunch of stationary dummies that pop up a backpack on you when you click them. I think there should be maybe one or two NPC's per house(other one could serve mainly as a prop like an apprentice or something) and you can program them to do something that looks... interesting, and relative to the setting. Of course, you might have a house that sells a very wide variety of goods, but who says that means you need GOBS of different dummies sitting all over your house to sell your goods? Why cant it be more like the menu you get when you say "vendor buy" to an NPC vendor in town? I like the idea of just one or two dummies per house. Or if you got lord of the manor or something you could put like 4 to 8(4 actual vendors, one prop). You could program the main vendor to hammer things at the forge repeatedly all day long, and have the apprentice programmed to sit there and hold the object hes hammer. Or you could program an alchemist to sit there and turn pages in a book, or look thru some kind of magnifying glass. The vendor would stop what their doing when you converse with them and engage in conversation or give a menu of wares when asked. Just please dont go back to a bunch of stationary dummies all over the houses everywhere you turn. I guess if the vendor is dressed up like a smith with a forge and anvil by them they dont neccessarily have to sell ONLY armour and weapons. Perhaps the owner of the vendor only stocked potions and regs for sale on them and their hammering away at a forge but hey at least they dont look like a sitting duck.

Ned888, Hazard and NirAntae like this.
  2. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

I used to love wandering around all the lands in UO looking for new shops to visit, and how everyone made there shops different. Luna was a fantastic place to visit and some of the larger shops there were amazing places, the imagination some people have so set there stalls out was brilliant. I don't mind the multi vendor approach as it gives people more versatility in to how they can set their shop out and make it look different to someone else, otherwise everything just becomes kind of the same no matter where you go. I do however agree that the shop vendors should look to have more life in them.

jondavis, EWHART, Deus_Irae and 3 others like this.
  3. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Maybe Houses will only have a few vendors unlike UO you will have only one Char so your crafting skill will be limited. Most players on UO could craft everything with their alts so needed more vendors.

4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

With all the customization of the interior it should be pretty obvious what vendors are selling, if the shop keeper pays some attention towards customer comfort ^^

DavenRock likes this.
  5. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Agreed, I'm also against wall to wall vendors selling goods in homes. Hopefully a vendor will require some sort of display (in certain cases), and a certain amount of required room to sell their wares. A best case scenario (in my opinion) would be some sort of bazaar or market, or spaces leased out of specific buildings set up for that purpose. I wouldn't mind a traveling salesperson type scenario as well, where your vendor or a contracted NPC would rent out spots in other villages/towns/cities and move between them (wagon and potential disruption required).

In terms of Luna [UO], while it was great seeing so many interesting themed homes and getting people congregating in one area, it pretty much destroyed every other city in game as it sandwiched all the game-run vendors in one spot as well. There was need to go anywhere else as everything was under one roof and shops in other towns lost most meaning as they brought Luna online. A bank-sitters paradise.

Brian likes this.
  6. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

I remember reading that you can learn all the crafting skills

7. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Aye, this is what people did in UO, well the decent shops, we would put swords or armour out on tables to distinguish.

But there is something to be said about the actual menu and not just a backpack full of stuff.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.