Anyone for Oculus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Silverston, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Gunfire games, the makers of Chronos, are based in Austin Texas. I'm sure they could help with SotA.
    https://developer.oculus.com/blog/third-person-adventuring-in-chronos/

I'm almost surprised Underworld Ascendant is not based on VR. I have zero interest in it without VR.
    https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=887.msg19367#msg19367

2. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I agree, the game like UA needs to be, at the very least, VR compatible. People keep making these old style games, as if they will find a lot of popularity from the Overwatch players. I mention Overwatch players because that's pretty much the demographic of a gamer today. Only old farts like us, would be excited to play something like an old school first person dungeon crawler, which UA is. And us, old farts, have enough money to have a VR at home. so they really need to think about having VR option in most of the recently being released first person games.

3. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Haha. I did not even know what Overwatch was. I had look it up. What is the average age of the SotA player? I'm guessing it's quite a bit older. Speaking of that I wish SotA was a bit more grown up oriented. I don't like this Ulitima IV virtue based thing: love, truth, courage. One of my all time favorite quotes is one by Churchill

"he has all of the virtues I detest and none of the vices I adore"

Seriously, I am a much bigger fan of dubious morality fantasy such as Game of Thrones and Conan the Barbarian (Sword and Sorcery ) than the Christian good vs. evil high fantasy of Tolkien. The short stories of Conan the Barbarian and Weird Tales work much better for small quests as well.

It's interesting that when Garriot was promoting SotA he said Skyrim was one of the good examples. I don't agree at all. The Witcher 2 was also popular at that time and it had a much better story even if Skyrim was more fun. The Witcher 3 made up for that by taking the non-linear features of Skyrim with the great story of the Witcher series and is perhaps the best RPG ever. I wonder what the Witcher 3 is like with VR.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  4. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I have to disagree. There are a lot of games today already that distant themselves from the true virtues of what makes us human. Either we deny it or not, these are the virtues that the things are based on. We can of course talk about real life and that games are not real life, but unfortunately, real life can't be used any more as an ideal example for true virtues of what makes us human either. There is a lot of grey matter and attitude today already to erase all the things that really matter and hide real values from our attention. I, for one, am glad, that RG is trying to promote those REAL virtues in his game. I also don't understand, why more and more of grown up people today, prefer adult content and dark fantasy setting to the things that inspire love, compassion, charity, courage, truth and everything that is originally good... Good is now "goodie" and "lame", while representation of evil and darkness is "cool" and "awesome"... Some twisted stuff going on last 10-15 years. I would like to see more sacred values inspired in games, but I highly doubt that it will ever happen now, except in maybe little games like SOTA.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then why did you back a project that was from the beginning advertised as the Spiritual Successor to the Ultima Series?

6. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

I backed SotA because of nostalgia and RG's reputation. Not because of his sale pitch.

The first and last online MMORPG I played was OU (I have not tried SotA online yet, only offline) unless you count Euotopia (http://euotopia.com/). And I liked other Ultimas even if I was not the biggest fan of Ultima IV.

7. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

The strongest emotions I have felt from a video game have been in VR. Particularly when it comes to fear. I don't think people really appreciate how powerful VR is yet. That reminds me of another quote, this time by Lovecraft

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unkown"

Watch a grown man cry playing Dreadhalls (at about 6:40).

Dreadhalls also taught me courage. It took me over 2 months before I developed enough courage to beat Dreadhalls. I had to cheat by taking off the headset in the beginning but eventually I finished it without taking off the headset. I was terrified until the end and distraught for well over an hour after finishing it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Courage of beating a horror game... what? I am sorry, I like VR, but I am done talking about virtues and values. We have quite different understanding on what virtues and proper values are. I know one thing for sure though, most of the games today, including the horror games, promote completely wrong values and in most cases just dumb down the way we look at the world, at each other and at our own selves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.