Are there any donation boxes for newbies we can contribute to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I know a while ago a PoT had one where they then distributed gear to new players. I have a ton of carapacian cloth, weapons and other crafted goods I will never use or sell that would be huge upgrades to a new player. Is there an active place where I can donate? Thanks!

Bayard, majoria70 and amarious like this.
  2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

You might try @Bayard / @Rosemourne / @Rada Torment / @Spoon / @Astor Cerberus

This is not to say others do not contribute, but people I know who have a record of assistance of what you want to provide

3. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Hi @Zapatos80,

I have a public chest for new player stuff in my lot in New Britannian Market. Spoon has a fantastic lot in Soltown oriented to new players.

I think the names Stryker posted here have been working on this for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Zapatos80 likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Your question is a good one and we should bring it up on the next hospitaller meeting to get such a list so we can link it next time.

Which part of Novia do you usually hang around? The hospitallers have plenty of locations.

If you are in the perennial area then, yes, I have a "Welcome Outlander" lot in Soltown.

There is also the "Outlander Welcome Center" POT just outside Soltown.

To find the one in Soltown can just check in with the Town Crier and see which lot is claimed by "Spoon".

There is a Public Chest next to the table. However please note that Pubic Chests generally get looted for all content, usually by 'regulars'/veterans from specific guilds. Which then end up on their vendors for kind of high prices. Also most newcomers don't know the difference between public and private chests. Hence why my outlander lot has all kinds of tips and tricks notes like pointing out that difference.

To circumvent those issues I have the "Cheap Vendor" where I sell stuff really cheap and then use the gold to make/buy more newcomer stuff. If one wants to contribute to that then next to the wall of the building there is a "Deposit Box" where anyone can drop but one can't take stuff.

EDIT:
    Since so many others below mentioned their Guild/POT/personal chests I feel obliged to mention that there are of course such chests (both types) in Lux Sanctuary as well.
    However I would advice against dumping a large amount of stuff into any specific guild/POT chest. This since then they usually only hand them out to a select few newcomers which are in the guild/POT which isn't really the hospitaller intent.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Zapatos80 likes this.
  5. Bink

Bink Avatar

Such a box would be great near Public Vendor's like Owl's Head

In order that these would not become trash cans,
    things nobody need could be deleted automatically after e.g. two weeks.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  6. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Hail Zapatos!
    That was the public chest in the Outlander Welcome Center (just outside Soltown) and your items were parceled out over a few months (thank you again). If you have a large number of items, it would be best for us to meet again and transfer directly so I can do the same. Otherwise, one or two visitors will clean out the chest leaving nothing for others. The good news is that I've noticed a pattern where one visitor will clean out the chest every few days for about a month and then they stop and another will start the cycle anew. I freely put in arrows, potions and food but donated items, like yours, are parceled out over time. Cheers!

Rentier, Zapatos80 and Spoon like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Many of us have these boxes. I run one called Free Samples in Rinzai (nested in Desolis) where we send new guild members. For visibility we're also listing this sort of stuff, enchanted/mw not-quite-right gear that is considerably better than starting gear, at vendor value, on Fishy Business in Ordinis Mortis. Its not always stocked, because selling things for 100 gold each they tend to move, but its a place to check for starter armor/weapons.

Rentier and Zapatos80 like this.
  8. Lace

Lace Avatar

Diamond Fields off of Elysium isles has a recipe box in a public caches that folks donate to and take from.

In addition we will be adding a newbie gear box as well in the next couple of weeks.

9. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Yes, I should have said I was looking for a *private* chest, not a public one, or yes, it would be looted clean pretty fast :p

Thanks for info!

10. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

The Phoenix Republic has a strong history of helping out new avatars - even those who find a different guild that fits their needs.
    Send me a PM and I can give you directions to that chest.

11. Lace

Lace Avatar

What we do is filter things into the recipe box slowly as claimed, also note there are logs so if someone is piggy folks can be banned. In a perfect world, or such as is the pre-launch community it has not been an issue personally but there is always those bad apples.

For private stashes those are containers set to Kindred for the Lot,this means each person that can take has to be added to the lot. You can make it public to add, but then only those on the lot can take. This serves the needs of a guild or a cooperative group, not the public in general. For me, public caches are still the answer and the owners should just slowly filter in contents not putting 300 items at a time, where what you point out will occur - the bad apple taking all.

You should be able to right click a public cash and view log and see history .. if the cache is on a lot, I seem to recall that if the public cache was on a POT piece of land not deeded you cannot see the log. Owner beware on that.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  12. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

The PVP town of Kahli has public chests hidden throughout the map with some pretty good stuff inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.