Aren't houses great?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by mikeaw1101, Jun 30, 2015.

?

Would you still play Shroud of the Avatar if there was no player housing?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2015.
  1. Yes

30.4%
  2. No

69.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I know right? We sleep in them, we eat in them, we entertain ourselves in them? What's not to like about housing? Even video game housing?!!!!! Right? So here's a vote:

p.s. I realize the problem with the survey is that you can only ask one question with multiple answers lol

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I did say no because one of the reasons for having houses is for all the roleplay options and storage options, plus as it is now you can zone home well on a timer basis that is. If there were no houses I would want wonderful storage options, like lots to have storage chests on, tents, camps, perhaps, inn rooms that can be rented for many durations with storage chests or dressers. I'd say we don't all have to have housing, but as long as some have it so others can rent from them at least is my thoughts.;)

3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Its a huge part of the game, that said its one of the more devlopt parts of the game.
    So this question might come to early

Mac R and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

None of the Ultimas before UO had player housing, so I know Portalarium would still make a fun and worthy successor even if they didn't have player housing. So Yes, of course I'd still play.

But without housing to purchase, how would SotA make enough money to be developed? I guess they would have to implement mounts, pack animals and ships in episode 1 to compensate. I'd be okay with that. Maybe then I could finally be a real (in-game) gypsy!

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I need them to hoard stuff.

6. Net

Net Avatar

How could I? Without housing, there would be no maze, and without maze, what would I do?

7. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Are we thinking the new, limited, zoning home is going to make it into release? I see it as important to be able to make it home for activities.

If it were not to make it into release, why put the timers on it at this point?

No zone while in combat prevents abuse in PvE and PvE. The timers prevent out of combat abuse. Us casual gamers are always in favor of this time saver.

Lastly, keeping the zone command will make housing even more desirable.

Budner and Birko like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I played all of the Ultima games and having fun while diong the usual "D&D" adventures. Ultima became my computerized D&D.

Once Ultima Online was relased virtual housing became important to my game style as I live in the virtual world. I have not played many MMOs since due to bad (instanced) housing or no housing. I tried WOW and ESO (beta) - no housing means I left in a hurry and will never play those games again.

I would still buy SotA if no houses were in as a single player game (no multiplayer) to add it to my collection.

TEK likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

In online mode, definitely yes. In the offline mode, housing makes no sense to me.

10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

The /zone command will be removed - devs said it often. Probably as soon as beta. Or as soon as the "replacement mechanic" will be ingame - whatever it'll be.

11. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I voted No. Housing is a very important community aspect of MMOs that I immensely enjoy. I started UO back in 97' and was introduced to player owned housing and I loved it! Even though my very first 'house' was nothing more than a tent with a chest inside. EQ didn't have houses. WoW didnt have houses. DAoC didn't. SB did, and was fun for awhile. SWG did and was a lot of fun. SWToR didn't. GW2 didn't. AA has housing but Trion did a poor job handling that game. I'm sure I left out plenty from the list (brain is foggy today). But player housing for me just adds an element of community that I find hard to find in other games without it..

Budner likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope they leave it to get to your house though.

13. Katrina Bekers

I wouldn't count on that. Maybe some other mechanic (mark/recall?) will replace it, but I doubt it'll be in the form we're used to.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe it's not "immersive" enough for some people but I don't think that you should have to invest in a skill to get back to your house quickly. For other places, fine.

15. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

They should add a simple gate or recall spell to a marked rune (like that from UO)... or rune books.. They have reagents, so just make a requirement to cast the spell.

Budner and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

How can I answer this with all honesty when housing is currently the only reasonably fleshed out feature in the game?

With that said, it didn't stop me from enjoying other MMOs so I don't think it's that crucial.

I'll definitely play the game with or without housing; the question is whenever or not the story and/or the game-play is going to keep me playing.

17. Katrina Bekers

While I tend to agree with you, my judgement is suspended till the replacement is announced and implemented. I have no clue about how it'll be, if it'll involve skills, or how often/far it's supposed to work.

However, I can tell you that if players rushing to secure rent-free unlimited lots everywhere in Novia/Hidden Vale are able to unlimitedly teleport back and forth among their homes, they will have a game advantage hardly counterable during the lifetime of the server. I guess devs know that, and are working to avoid this scenario.

mikeaw1101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.