Arrows, skeletons etc...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by blaquerogue, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Lets start with arrows they do way to much damage (PVE) when wearing plate or chain i should be protected better than that against arrows, plus you can argue the piercing shot but doesn't that take focus??? they never lose the focus!! or use up their bars! Ridiculous! the only defense against that is to go shield and weapon, which means now i have to skill in another tree! Im not down with that at all.

Ok skeletons they have hella reach with their swords!!!!! i can be standing well out of range and still get hit! I can be running and way out of range and still get hit!! What are they doing throwing their swords at me??? if so wouldn't that mean now they are unarmed!!! and now i should whip them into a drinking chalice, or furniture!

ok so that's it. Devs please fix this to be more real!

2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Is it just me or do the ghost do crazy damage as well. The other day i was getting killed by a ghost that wasnt even in the same room as me.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I believe Ghosts are stronger the higher your life attunement is.. and chances are you have the Life tree leveling up?

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

No i havent trained the lifetree at all and i dont have it going up. Thats interesting to know though, ill file that away if its correct!

Ice Queen and blaquerogue like this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I get confused with the attunement lol it's something like that! :) I'm sure someone will pop in and tell me if i'm wrong :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I could agree with the OP, I seem to take a lot more damage from arrows, compared to the swords.. seems odd if I'm wearing full plate.

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Well, the longbow was designed specifically to defeat plate. Plate armor was made to withstand sweeping attacks from weapons. The edge of a blade would be deflected along the metal or, if a direct blow, would cut into the metal a little, but ultimately stop because not many have the strength to chop through a metal plate.

Arrows, on the other hand, direct all their force into a small point which doesn't take nearly as much brute force to overcome. Thick shields were the only thing that could protect from a salvo of arrows. Because of that, plate armor had to be significantly modified and metallurgy improved to counteract them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Too true :)

9. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

So lets see . Wait R26 starts in a week, so lets wait and see what changes

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Which should do less damage?
    Being hit with an arrow with no armor?
    Being hit with an arrow with cloth armor?
    Being hit with an arrow with leather armor?
    Being hit with an arrow with chain armor?
    Being hit with an arrow with plate armor?

Unless you're arguing that plate should be an amplifier of damage, there should be a damage reduction. Currently, if there is one, you can't tell.
    And yes, PVE archers are dangerously overpowered, in R25, imho.
    [1/11/2016 5:03:25 PM] Ebon Cultist Archer attacks Player and hits dealing 71 points of critical damage with Aimed Shot.
    [1/11/2016 6:51:15 PM] Skeleton Archer attacks Player and hits dealing 51 points of critical damage with Piercing Shot.

Nothing quite like losing 25-30% of your hit points in one hit from an NPC at level 30. ;) Cue the Monty Python "run away!" scene.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well the long bow was created for range, the arrow heads were made to penetrate armor. not the bow itself. With those steel arrowheads it can penetrate armor (in some places) and keep in mind under the plate was padding and leather, so even if just the tips got through it would be hard to inflict a true Piercing shot.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you would need bodkin arrows to penetrate which were expensive. Notice no leather or padding under this piece

Tristan J. likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

good watch here.

Kara Brae likes this.
  14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

While it's true the bow was created for range, the longbow's evolution, it's design, gave it advantage against the metallurgy used in armor crafting of the time period. The metallurgy used today is like science fiction to that time period, so your video is not a representative example. Armor design and quality improved as a direct response, so the efficacy of the longbow (and arrow heads) certainly varied over time, but even tempered steel was nothing like the milled carbon steel we can make today.

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I know that that armor was a cheap piece there, just showing what a bodkin does, anyhow theres the story of the longbow for anyone to learn about. I wouldnt wear that piece of crap armor in the field. especially without the padding involved. I have an English 65# bow and i love it!

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks for posting this - it was fascinating.

blaquerogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.