Attack Cues for Depth

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Isaiah, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I know this is still pre-alpha, and something like this may be planned. Yet I've been feeling a slight void while fighting and I just realized what it is. There needs to be more dramatic cues to let us know that we smashed our opponent.

Console games have vibrating controllers as well as sounds. Regardless the sound we hear can provide a deeper experience. If I land a critical hit I want to experience that visually, auditory, and maybe via vibration if we can use a controller. I think successes, failures, etc could feel more gratifying to me with more of these effects.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Also if a parry is successful, (or if they ever add a shield block) it would be nice to hear a clanking of metal, or a <BONG> sound for a successful shield block.

The clang of actual metal on metal seems better than an energy type sound. Using a skill takes focus but if the weapon or armor is metalic it makes the combat seem more medieval and lethal rather than just Street Fighter style energy attacks. Maybe a combination of both would work too.

KuBaTRiZeS and smack like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

DarkStarr said something about blood splashes not being implemented yet ;>

KuBaTRiZeS and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Those will definitely help. What if they add decapitation for a coup de grace that successfully kills an opponent, or a pole arm combo that cuts a person's body in half at the waist upon a successful kill?

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Assuming they did such a thing that's well beyond EP1. Creature/people meshes would have to be designed to come apart like that.

KuBaTRiZeS and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Another type of cue could be grunts, and moans while fighting. Hollering <YEeeAaa> while swinging a big two handed axe might be a nice touch especially if it is a knock down or something like that.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's true. They would have to do a lot of work on all the body types to accomplish that. It would be nice if there was a quick way for them to do this.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There's an emote for dropping to the ground like you're dead, but you can't emote decapitation. It is a good indicator you won, and it could be quite gratifying.

9. smack

smack Avatar

Actually, I think they can sort of fake the decapitation. We have bugs where people are headless/faceless and you can only see their eyes and mouth. Just hide those objects too (including the hat, if any) and you're headless? Add some bloody spray gushing from the wound and dynamically insert a generic bloody head falling to the ground?

But in regards to the OP, yes, visual and auditory cues would make combat more engaging.

Isaiah [MGT] and Moonshadow like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good thinking smack. If we see "what appears to be the head" fly off, that might be enough. Headless body and a pool of blood would be cool.

smack and Moonshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.